Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    You've done a bad job in basically every point you've been trying to make. I wasn't even trying to call you out specifically with my comment about the GL movie, I merely addressed the bolded part of the Neal Adams quote about the movie, since I've been hearing the same thing from some fans ever since the movie crashed and burned.
    I truly believe that if John Stewart was used in the GL movie it still would have sucked all the same. With that being said, yes you've got to make a better quality movie. However I think DC should have used John Stewart as their first GL movie at that time, regardless.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    On the subject of Miles Morales, Miles was designed to be a main character from the start. That said, he will likely always be a supplementary Spider-Man. He was meant to fill the spot of Spider-Man when Spider-Man died and wasn't there to be Spider-Man. And this all happened in some alternate universe. Likewise, Kyle Rayner was designed to be a main character, too.
    Miles is the Spider-man in Spider-verse. He will still be the main Spider-man in part 2

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm not sure another Green Lantern movie would do better with any character, if it's still as bad as the previous one.
    If the film is as bad as the previous one it would still do better with stewart as the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I truly believe that if John Stewart was used in the GL movie it still would have sucked all the same. With that being said, yes you've got to make a better quality movie. However I think DC should have used John Stewart as their first GL movie at that time, regardless.
    Look on the bright side, John Stewart wasn't the one who ended up being tarnished by the movie. If anything, that only gave more ammunition to people who think there's something inherently deficient about a character like Hal Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    If the film is as bad as the previous one it would still do better with stewart as the lead.
    I don't believe that a horrible movie based on a B-list property that neither gets a boost from a successful cinematic universe brand, nor is any kind of crowd pleaser, would do well regardless if it features a character that some people may or may not remember seeing in a cartoon show from close to 20 years ago.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-30-2018 at 07:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    Miles is the Spider-man in Spider-verse. He will still be the main Spider-man in part 2
    And Peter Parker is still the main Spider-Man in the Spider-Man franchise. You will notice Peter Parker's very large presence in the Spiderverse movie. Have you ever seen Miles Morales with an equal presence in any of Peter Parker's films?

I haven't.

And this is the problem. Miles needed the white hero there to explain to audiences why he (Miles) even exists, because those audiences are used to seeing a white hero in that role. If you want a major black hero on the same level as Clark Kent's Superman, he shouldn't need a classic white heroes' hand-me-downs. That immediately puts the black hero on a lower tier, because he isn't the "real" guy in the view of the audience. He's a supplemental extra version, even if he happens to be the star of a particular feature. Val Zod is the same thing. Clark Kent will most likely always be the real Superman to audiences, or at least the most prominent.

While Hal Jordan isn't nearly as big a name as Clark Kent or Peter Parker, he has still been Green Lantern for 50 years and is bound to pop up in any general discussion of Green Lantern. Even during JLU, I can't count the times I saw people say, "Where is Hal Jordan, or why isn't it Kyle Rayner," or something like that. It, in a way, diminished John Stewart and even took some people in the know out of the story, because they were wondering why Green Lantern is this black guy instead of just watching the show.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 12-31-2018 at 12:46 AM.

BANNED

Anyway, I think I give up on that front, because I don't think I can say anything more about it. Many of you seem to want a major black hero, but you're perfectly happy accepting one that is, in truth, subservient to a white hero, and probably always will be. That goes for Miles, too. Okay, that's fine. I don't think that's for the best, as I would prefer for DC's most prominent black hero to have their own franchise where they are at the top of the totem pole (Marvel achieved this with Black Panther, by the way), but you're all free to feel the way you do. But, I mean, if you're going to accept that as DC's most prominent black hero, maybe next time you get the urge to complain about it, just remember that's what you accepted; a black hero who is in the shadow of a white one, and who very directly owes his very existence to the white one.

That said, I think that characters like Miles and John Stewart are fine in the roles that they have.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 12-31-2018 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    But, I mean, if you're going to accept that as DC's most prominent black hero, maybe next time you get the urge to complain about it, just remember that's what you accepted; a black hero who is in the shadow of a white one, .
    It's a small shadow.John was "The Green Lantern in Justice League Cartoon, John and Hal are Green Lanterns in young justice, Hal has the solo book but John is Justice League, John will probably show up in the Green Arrow show as Green Lantern,John was going to be Green Lantern in Justice League Mortal, Since original Green Lantern movie flop the next movie coming up is Green lantern corps movie where they are probably doing a buddy cop thing. Does Hal have an edge yeah sure but unlike other situations

A. They are people who see John as "The Green Lantern" for example people who watch the Cartoon
    B. They are people who understand that GL is concept shared between characters
    C. John is very much used and treated like a main character

This isn't a Wally West/Barry Allen thing or Val Zod/Miles thing. John Stewart is legit his own entity despite coming after Hal Jordan,Green Lantern is not a derivative free concept they are very much suppose to be bunch of them. "The shadow" goes away if John Stewart gets maintains a solo. DC can do things to hold the character back on purpose or on accident just through the sheer fact that the decision makers don't reflect the makeup of the world but given a fair shot he would be his own thing.

Just simple question If John was given a book with a great creative team could it out sell a Hal Jordan book at points? Could it out sell books not names Batman and Superman? I don't see any reason why he has to stay in the shadow
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-31-2018 at 03:35 PM.

John Stewart and Hal Jordan are probably more comparable to Scott Lang and Hank Pym, as opposed to Miles Morales and Peter Parker. Whatever shadow Hank used to have over Scott is basically gone, in fact I'm pretty sure the majority of the people who only know about Ant-Man from the movies likely have no clue that Pym was once the most prominent Ant-Man character, they probably know him only as this old side character who used to be Ant-Man decades ago and whose relevance is in terms of the backstory of how the Ant-Man suit was originally created. I'm no Hank Pym fan by the way, but I do have sympathies for his fans for how badly that character was shafted in the MCU, both from his founding Avengers member spot and the main role of the solo Ant-Man movie.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-31-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Happy New Year John fans!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Happy New Year .

Happy New Year everyone!