Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Nah they really can't. They've proven they can't handle their big characters (JL) OR their lesser known characters (Suicide Squad). My opinion on this can and will change if they turn it around with Aquaman and Shazam, but as of now, the answer is no. Like I said before, Marvel didn't come out the gate with Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc, they started with the most popular characters they had access to at the time (Iron Man/Cap/Thor/Hulk), and because they built up a good reputation with those characters, the audience was more open to seeing the aforementioned lesser known characters. I'm aware Blade was a risk that paid off, but it was not part of a cinematic universe, so that independent movie failing would not cause everything to come crashing down like the first 3-4 out of 5 movies failing would mess up a cinematic universe. I do agree though, the lack of their other popular characters (X-Men/FF) forced them to build up other characters and it's paid off so far, but the thing is, WB/DC is not in the same situation as Marvel. DC has to earn the goodwill of the audience, which they don't have right now.

You're right, nothing's wrong with a John Stewart movie. He's one of the A-listers I mentioned in another post. They can lay the foundation for the other characters (Blue Beetle, Firestorm, The Forever People, etc.) in the A-list movies and expand upon them in the future. Or like I also said, they can run those characters' movies alongside the A-list movies (ex: 2021 GLC, later that year Firestorm).
    Yea, the DCEU is in a bad position right now. I don't want the GLC film to be associated with DCEU's failure. I think the GLC movie should be green lit, once the DCEU has a good rep with the audience.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Exactly!!! John always had to get the short end of the stick, because writers prefer other lanterns over John. I just think that many writers (not all) just can't identify themselves with John Stewart, because he's an African American. That's not to say that's a form of racism or anything close to that. Writers didn't really seem that diverse in the industry, which hurt John Stewart's chances to shine, despite him being treated as an A-list superhero from the Justice League cartoons. They're fans just like we are. What Ethan Van Sciver said in the John Stewart appreciation thread pretty much confirms their bias. The good thing is that there are some writers who does prefer John Stewart to other Green Lanterns such as Gail Simone, Justin Jordan, Van Jensen etc.

Unfortunately TPTB at DC aren't soliciting pitches specifically for John Stewart, unlike other characters. We're in a position that It just takes for a writer who's very fond of John Stewart to decide to write him.
    Obviously, more dverse voices in the industry would be helpful (RIP McDuffie), but it's got to be more than that considering that most of the cartoon writers were white. It's a difference in editorial. Like, why didn't Didio ask Morrison to write a John Stewart book, or why don't we hear about editorial soliciting pitches for John?

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Obviously, more dverse voices in the industry would be helpful (RIP McDuffie), but it's got to be more than that considering that most of the cartoon writers were white. It's a difference in editorial. Like, why didn't Didio ask Morrison to write a John Stewart book, or why don't we hear about editorial soliciting pitches for John?
    That's the main issue that I have. Despite the character's success as being one of the top minority heroes at DC, they don't look at him as a priority. They refused to capitalize on his success. They would rather take risks by creating a new minority character than exploring a character that has a good sizable fanbase. That's why some John Stewart fans created conspiracies on the matter. There's nothing wrong creating new minority characters, which is great, but it's rather strange not use existing ones that has potential. Although Ethan Van Sciver made legitimate excuses on why John hasn't starred or been the more focused hero in books by writers, he wouldn't answer reasoning on why editorial didn't solicit pitches for a John Stewart focused book.

I could be wrong here and just speculating, but since Scott Snyder has been a a fan of the JL/JLU cartoons, he probably thought John was overlooked (like what Van Jensen stated) and how they never used him as a full potential, despite his big success, so he thought it would be wise to place John Stewart in his book and develop him further since he said he always wanted to write him. He did a terrific job with the character so far.

I love me some John Stewart. What a badass character. Because of his unforgettable role in the old Justice League Animated series, I view him as MY GREEN LANTERN (no Hal Jordan for me).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I love me some John Stewart. What a badass character. Because of his unforgettable role in the old Justice League Animated series, I view him as MY GREEN LANTERN (no Hal Jordan for me).
    Welcome to the John Stewart Appreciation thread!

John Stewart is totally badass indeed He was an awesome character in the Justice League animated series. He had cool showdowns with villains, great relationships with other leaguers, and played vital roles in the series. I don't think the execs could've done any more than that to raise a character.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    This is my beef with DC when it comes to John. They have a great character that they choose not to use at a higher degree. Just think how awesome a solo of John by Morrison and Fabok would be? Or any great creative team? I just wish DC would give John a solo book like he deserves.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    This is my beef with DC when it comes to John. They have a great character that they choose not to use at a higher degree. Just think how awesome a solo of John by Morrison and Fabok would be? Or any great creative team? I just wish DC would give John a solo book like he deserves.
    We all share the same sentiments here. John Stewart more than deserves a book, but I think it should be written by a high profile team. In these cases, DC editorial shouldn't have the attitude by using some writer for a John Stewart solo. Because I get the impression that they're not giving the effort to push the character to his full potential like they did in the Justice League cartoons. They need to give him a high profile creative team. If they could get one of DC's top writers like Grant Morrison to write a Hal Jordan book, (which Morrison declined at first and changed his mind later on), then there shouldn't be any excuses here.

John Stewart in the JLA by Paolo Rivera

John Stewart looks awesome in this artwork.

BANNED

That's a great piece-- thought it was official until I saw some of the costumes, haha.

Is Hawkgirl staring at John Stewart's space ship? John Stewart did have a space ship from issue #2.

John Stewart's space ship is something that we haven't really discussed before. It would be nice if John created his own ship that he created, since he's an architect. This could be potentially in the upcoming issue, since Scott Snyder said this issue is going to focus on the Hall of Justice and character relationships.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

John Stewart in the JLA by Paolo Rivera

John Stewart looks awesome in this artwork.
    Love this artwork.

Is Hawkgirl staring at John Stewart's space ship? John Stewart did have a space ship from issue #2.

John Stewart's space ship is something that we haven't really discussed before. It would be nice if John created his own ship that he created, since he's an architect. This could be potentially in the upcoming issue, since Scott Snyder said this issue is going to focus on the Hall of Justice and character relationships.
    It would be awesome if they had John build a new spaceship because we could see how his time in space has expanded his architectural and engineering expertise.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    It would be awesome if they had John build a new spaceship because we could see how his time in space has expanded his architectural and engineering expertise.
    It certainly would be amazing. The ship he had seemed to be designed to transport prisoners to the sciencells it seems. I hope Scott Snyder will explore more on this in the next issue.

BANNED

Can't help imagining a John Stewart version of this trailer--

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-02-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Excited to see the lunchroom interactions in #9. Think John was supposed to do something don't remember the solicit.