Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Cool John Stewart Appreciation Thread

John Stewart is my favorite all time character.

You can find the link to the old John Stewart Appreciation thread here.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 08-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.

BANNED

"The Master Builder" has to be one of the coolest comic book nicknames next to "The Fastest Man Alive," "The Man of Steel," and "The Dark Knight."
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-05-2018 at 03:31 PM.

BANNED

I was just thinking... Anyone else find it interesting that Didio asked Morrison to write a Hal Jordan book, but we haven't heard about editors ever soliciting a John Stewart book? Shouldn't DC trying to build John's library of solo adventures before he debuts on film so that fans can purchase his books?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

John Stewart wasn't in my top favorite heroes till I started reading more of his Green Lantern runs these past couple years and man I love this character

Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 08-05-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I was just thinking... Anyone else find it interesting that Didio asked Morrison to write a Hal Jordan book, but we haven't heard about editors ever soliciting a John Stewart book? Shouldn't DC trying to build John's library of solo adventures before he debuts on film so that fans can purchase his books?
    Yes but when your company is like Vince McMahon-a company is a millionaire when they should be billionaire because you push your PETS (or in WWE case Roman) at the expense of everyone one else.

This doesn't shock anybody.

Don't cry to me why John Stewart didn't get you new readers or increased sales-I am going to ask what did you so with him prior to that film?
    Same with Jessica, Guy, Kyle & Simon. I don't want to hear Jessica is in DC Superhero Girls and John in in Justice League. It doesn't help the brand that they are both under-Green Lantern.
    See Storm-Black Panther book and The Crew became stealth solos for her. While she did little to nothing in X-Men franchise. All that stuff in Panther hasn't gotten her a solo book. Like Shuri & Midnight Angels.

BANNED

I'm not really surprised about it, especially after Ethan Van Sciver said in the old John Stewart appreciation thread. Which is how the majority TPTB at DC views the character. What takes John Stewart to shine is for a writer to solicit a pitch that focuses more on John Stewart (like Scott Snyder and Cullen Bunn). Dan Didio and editors really left it up to the writer on what character they want to use, so we would actually see majority of writers use lesser known GL's to shine ahead of John. I'm glad that a real big high profile writer, such as Scott Snyder has planned in writing John for years. But yea, it doesn't make any logical sense on why people like Dan Didio weren't soliciting pitches on stories that focuses specifically about John. It's interesting on how Grant Morrison turned down writing Green Lantern when Dan Didio asked him to do it at first. These guys were never really behind John Stewart. And they certainly weren't fond of his popularity, due to the cartoons.

Mighty Member

"The Master Builder" has to be one of the coolest comic book nicknames next to "The Fastest Man Alive," "The Man of Steel," and "The Dark Knight."
    If John ever got a solo. They should call it Green Lantern: The Master Builder

@Sodam Yat What did EVS say?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    If John ever got a solo. They should call it Green Lantern: The Master Builder

I was thinking what DC should call John's solo if he ever gets one again. Here's one I thought of; "Green Lantern: John Stewart". I like yours too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post

He said this:

Quote Originally Posted by "Flabbergaster" View Post
    First and foremost, I LOVE GREEN LANTERN.

I jumpstarted this franchise with Geoff 12 years ago, created a lot of concepts and characters and put a lot of things in motion, and then left. We made it HUGE. At one point Green Lantern was second only to Batman. I came back here and there to do an annual or a fill in, but I mostly watched from the sidelines, unhappily, while other creators worked on this book and these characters.

GREEN LANTERN should be an endless fountain of spin off books for DC Comics. It really should. Hal Jordan should always be at the heart, in my opinion, because he's the Silver Age start of the title. But there really SHOULD be a John Stewart solo book. There really should be a Guy Gardner spin off book. There should be a Kyle book.

I think we'll get there. At the moment, HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS, a lengthy title I will rue having to type all of the time, is the classic GREEN LANTERN title. It's Hal-centric. All other Lanterns will appear there in, but as his partners. My hope is that if we do a fantastic book, and win back readers again, the franchise will grow once more. As it stands, I'm shocked at it's position on the top 300 charts. I can list a hundred different reasons why I believe this has happened. But I want to keep things positive, restore what works, and create new stuff to expand and enrich.

If you are a fan of GREEN LANTERN, you'll join us! I promise you it'll be great. If you're just an isolated fan of one Green Lantern character, hopefully we'll make you happy. But further, hopefully we'll get things back to where they should be and a John Stewart title will be forthcoming.

Love you all,
    Ethan Van Sciver
    And this:

Quote Originally Posted by "Flabbergaster" View Post
    No, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever. Before I knew about REBIRTH, I was working up the conditions of my exclusive contract with DC, and one of the things I asked for was my own Green Lantern title called HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS. I just wanted my own playground, like Dave Finch got with Batman: The Dark Knight. I wanted it to be along the lines of the classic 1980's GREEN LANTERN book that Joe Staton drew. I'd get to draw all of the Lanterns, and Hal, (who I'm sorry, is my favorite) would be the lead. And I'd choose my own writer.

I was told "nah." No to that title being created for me. I can only speculate as to why, but it probably had to do with plans already in motion with REBIRTH.

Suddenly, I am invited to join this event. What do I want to draw? And I just said, "Green Lantern, Green Lantern, Green Lantern." At which time, I was told that there was a book being planned with the title HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS (guess they liked it) and that if I wanted in, I could have it.

My feeling is that GREEN LANTERN has shrunk. There's blame to go around, but look, we've got a progressive new GREEN LANTERNS title with a fresh approach, and then a classic title with the flavor of the Joe Staton run. Those are the two book we have to build from. I think we can do great things, but we need fan support.

I hope you'll cheer us on. I do hear you. Believe me. I only care about telling great Green Lantern stories to the widest possible audience. So I'm listening.

Ethan Van Sciver
    There's a lot of artists/writers who view John Stewart as just a background character being behind someone else. Ethan's comments here are a taste of how DC perceived John through the years. This explains why he has been playing second fiddle to all of the Green Lanterns during the Johns' era. Popularity and having big fanbases doesn't matter to them. It also shows there's proof DC isn't as serious as pushing a black minority character if it conflicts with a white character. According to Ethan Van Sciver, John is only as popular as Guy Gardner. Which I disagree with. Many guys in the industry don't view John Stewart as an important character the same way millions of people viewed him in the JL/JLU show. That's why there's no one editors soliciting pitches to writers to write specifically about John Stewart. But with that said, there are SOME writers that wants to write John over others (like big writer, Scott Snyder, Cullen Bunn, etc). If it wasn't for Scott Snyder, John would be in a very terrible state right now. But that seems to be the only way for the character to shine. If you want TPTB like editorial and high ups to solicit pitches about John, then you're lucked out on that. I don't think they'll ever change, because they're fans and overlook John's popularity, which is proven through the years in the Johns' era.

John is coming to the DC Legends game.

In, loved his character growing up

Last edited by 9th.; 08-08-2018 at 07:23 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Duplicate post again, sigh
    Last edited by 9th.; 08-07-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    John is coming to the DC Legends game.

I think the suit, imo, could've been better designed.

I'm glad to see John in the game, but I thought he was already present there.