Page 24 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I don't think him killing Katma Tui should disqualify him from taking on John again. His political charged and urban mythological take on Black Panther helped breath new life into the character in the 90s. I feel a book or a maxiseries with him, drawn by Denys Cowan and set on earth, where he can really play on the character's social consciousness would be amazing. Although it will likely never happen because Priest is currently writing Deathstroke and apparently he's stepped away from writing black characters because he doesn't want to be pigeonholed as the "black superhero guy" (which I personally take issue with). It would be a fascinating take on the character in my opinion.

Bryan Hill is relatively new to the big two. He's currently writing Wildstorm Michael Cray and he did a short arc on Detective. He's going to do Killmonger for Marvel and Batman and the Outsiders for DC this December. He's gets pretty political on twitter and he's doing American Carnage for Veritgo (a story about a white-passing mixed FBI agent infiltrating white supremacists).
    When DC announced Rebirth, I posted on this forum a while back and originally suggested that Priest could be a good candidate to write for John Stewart. I believe he can, but it's hard to trust a writer that make such a horrible decision. But I see what you mean, though.

Bryan Hill sounds like an interesting writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    When DC announced Rebirth, I posted on this forum a while back and originally suggested that Priest could be a good candidate to write for John Stewart. I believe he can, but it's hard to trust a writer that make such a horrible decision. But I see what you mean, though.

Bryan Hill sounds like an interesting writer.
    He's still finding his footing with the DC universe but he's proven to have a lot if promise. His writing on Michael Cray has been really good and I loved his Hong Kong Phooey/Black Lightning crossover; he usually does a great job of respecting the voice of the characters he writes. I'm excited to see what he does on his upcoming projects. He hasn't done anything cosmic yet but like a said earlier, he is open to breaking into that realm one day and he has a good relationship with Scott Snyder. So, fingers crossed, if he starts to really shine off these next books he can take that mojo to John down the road.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    where's this from? Wow.
    I forgot what specific issue that was from, but it's from Green Lantern vol.3 when Kyle Rayner was the Green Lantern. John visited her in prison after he defeated her.
    I forgot the exact issue...but all John needed was a stack bills.....and some music by Luther Campbell in the background.

I've been rereading Blackest Night and I came across these panels that sum up the problem I have with Johns' characterization of John.

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I've been rereading Blackest Night and I came across these panels that sum up the problem I have with Johns' characterization of John.
    Like I said earlier, he tied in that Marine persona with his past tragedies. I personally have no problem with John Stewart being a Marine (since that's the version of the character I grew up with), but merging it with his troubled past is just the wrong way to go.

On that very same issue, John Stewart also said he's going to leave Xanshi behind him and move on. Which haven't really happened, unfortunately.

Like I said earlier, he tied in that Marine persona with his past tragedies. I personally have no problem with John Stewart being a Marine (since that's the version of the character I grew up with), but merging it with his troubled past is just the wrong way to go.

On that very same issue, John Stewart also said he's going to leave Xanshi behind him and move on. Which haven't really happened, unfortunately.
    I don't have issues with him being a marine (it makes him that much more of a badass when done right) but summing up the character as that, to the point of even having the character think to themselves that's all there is to them rubs me the wrong way. It feels like a weird storytelling choice and ultimately one-dimensional.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-10-2018 at 10:19 PM.

currently following:

I don't have issues with him being a marine (it makes him that much more of a badass when done right) but summing up the character as that, to the point of even having the character think to themselves that's all there is to them rubs me the wrong way. It feels like a weird storytelling choice and ultimately one-dimensional.
    Yea, that's the same issue I had as well in Geoff Johns' run. John was definitely mopey and one-dimensional around Johns' run. He just wasn't interested in the character as it shows, along with other writers after him. The only writers that seemed interested in John Stewart was Van Jensen, Cullen Bunn, and Scott Snyder.

Here's a video that Scott Snyder speaks about his upcoming Drowned Earth story arc. It's not really John Stewart specific. But it's nice to hear about how much love he has for the Justice League animated series. You'll hear this around the 2:50 mark. Scott Snyder was someone who I wouldn't have expect to be a fan of the Justice League cartoon like many of us John Stewart fans here. I always thought all of big high profile writers are just big fans of silver age nostalgia and that seems not to be the case. It's nice to see big writers like Scott Snyder being a big passionate fan of the DCAU.

He again teased that there's going to be romance with villains and heroes in the series. I'm predicting there's going to be a romance with Black Manta and Cheetah. We see them working closely together in the Totality arc. I'm hoping there's going to be a romance with John Stewart and Hawkgirl in the series.

There's also going to be a big upcoming event going on next year. Can't wait!!

Mighty Member

badass moments, poor characterization
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I hope we see more of this exploration about John searching for answers to bring Xanshi back.

Extraordinary Member

Yea, that's the same issue I had as well in Geoff Johns' run. John was definitely mopey and one-dimensional around Johns' run. He just wasn't interested in the character as it shows, along with other writers after him. The only writers that seemed interested in John Stewart was Van Jensen, Cullen Bunn, and Scott Snyder.
    IMO, Geoff made quite a few character blunders during his run.

Making John one-dimensional, and far from the dynamic, out of the box thinking hero he was designed to be.

Having Hal (literally) dream about Sinestro, and longing for a bromance with the man who destroyed his life. Hal is supposed to represent being a straight-up alpha male, yet asked the dude who ruined him "were we ever really friends?"

Having Sinestro deep down hold similar feelings for Hal, despite destroying his life & reputation, and being responsible for Parallax's actions during Zero Hour. Sinestro went from being a vicious, manipulative bastard to something of an abusive life partner.

I think Guy Gardner, under the pen of Tomasi, is the main GL that came out good from that "golden era" run.

Extraordinary Member

I'm okay with John's marines background. A lot of people enlist in the military, and use that to further their education.

John being a marine, and then becoming an architect totally works for me.

I think the dichotomy of being socially conscious, yet also being a trained sniper has not being explored.

Extraordinary Member

I hope we see more of this exploration about John searching for answers to bring Xanshi back.
    I really hope the planet is brought back.

The look on John's face is a very powerful panel. Here is a very stoic man, yet is on the verge of tearing up.

Extraordinary Member

One last mini rant....

Comic John is stoic, and stays in marine mode due to the Xanshi tragedy.

DCAU John was stoic, and stayed in marine mode....because he thought he destroyed a world, and was waiting for his eventual punishment. Although, that was a trick by the Manhunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I'm okay with John's marines background. A lot of people enlist in the military, and use that to further their education.

John being a marine, and then becoming an architect totally works for me.

I think the dichotomy of being socially conscious, yet also being a trained sniper has not being explored.
    I think that socially conscious aspect gets forgotten more often than not because it's real easy to get into territory that will make writers uncomfortable. I think that's also partially because they've kept John in space for so long, where there are less chances to go that route and more of a reason to focus on the soldier aspect of him due to the corp.

currently following: