Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think that socially conscious aspect gets forgotten more often than not because it's real easy to get into territory that will make writers uncomfortable. I think that's also partially because they've kept John in space for so long, where there are less chances to go that route and more of a reason to focus on the soldier aspect of him due to the corp.
    If he was around McDuffie would have said "hold my beer" and have a 24 issue mini on this by morning.

If not him Tom King would have had a field day.

If not them-Gary Phillips or Jason Aaron (in his Scalped mode).

A widower, military guy, social activist mother, blown up planet and the corps. The right writer gets a hold of this and John-you got a story that could win awards galore.

BANNED

I think that socially conscious aspect gets forgotten more often than not because it's real easy to get into territory that will make writers uncomfortable. I think that's also partially because they've kept John in space for so long, where there are less chances to go that route and more of a reason to focus on the soldier aspect of him due to the corp.
    I always thought his social consciousness would be an asset as a GL, since a lot of the job must have to do with diplomacy amongst alien groups.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I always thought his social consciousness would be an asset as a GL, since a lot of the job must have to do with diplomacy amongst alien groups.
    It's also what makes a him a good leader as well.

Trevante Rhodes says he wants to play Green Lantern at the 1:10 mark:

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If he was around McDuffie would have said "hold my beer" and have a 24 issue mini on this by morning.

If not him Tom King would have had a field day.

If not them-Gary Phillips or Jason Aaron (in his Scalped mode).

A widower, military guy, social activist mother, blown up planet and the corps. The right writer gets a hold of this and John-you got a story that could win awards galore.
    I pretty sure I read somewhere that McDuffie was planning something for John back when he was on JLA before he got fired. If he were still around (R.I.P) this thread would be looking a whole lot different these days.

There are a hand full of writers at DC who you would think could step up to the challenge but they tend to get scoped up for other bigger ticket characters. However, if Geoff Johns has shown us anything, even critically acclaimed writers who SHOULD be able to handle John can dick around and leave him worse off.

I still have hope that one day someone will eventually come along and really dig into John's social side. If Mister Miracle can become a critical darling, then I'm sure it's just a matter of time before John gets his day.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    It should be but GL rarely goes that deep with it. For whatever reason they usually focus on leadership of the military/peacekeeping variety. It would've been nice to see them use John to tackle leadership in a more diplomatically complex situation.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-13-2018 at 06:17 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

I agree with you.

Extraordinary Member

I pretty sure I read somewhere that McDuffie was planning something for John back when he was on JLA before he got fired. If he were still around (R.I.P) this thread would be looking a whole lot different these days.

There are a hand full of writers at DC who you would think could step up to the challenge but they tend to get scoped up for other bigger ticket characters. However, if Geoff Johns has shown us anything, even critically acclaimed writers who SHOULD be able to handle John can dick around and leave him worse off.

I still have hope that one day someone will eventually come along and really dig into John's social side. If Mister Miracle can become a critical darling, then I'm sure it's just a matter of time before John gets his day.
    Mr. McDufie seemed to be linking John with Vixen during that run. I wish that was fully explored, but no one picked up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Mr. McDufie seemed to be linking John with Vixen during that run. I wish that was fully explored, but no one picked up on that.
    I hated that he got fired. He's one of the few writers during that time who did a good job writer the character. I liked the interaction with him and Vixen.

Ok John fans (and John haters who may be lurking) I'm curious, with John having the UV I have a question for you guys. So, seeing as every one of the four Corpsmen has had a unique ability or power, right? From Guy being warrior, the red lantern, having the yellow ring, and being the Christmas lantern (red and green) to Kyle being the White Lantern to Hal being Willpower. How would you go about giving John a unique powerset (even momentarily)?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Also, while I'm throwing out ideas, I had a wild idea for a DC elseworld movie; Green Lantern Mosaic auteur-ed by Donald Glover as John Stewart or written and directed by Terence Nance who did Random Acts of Flyness on HBO.

currently following:

Ok John fans (and John haters who may be lurking) I'm curious, with John having the UV I have a question for you guys. So, seeing as every one of the four Corpsmen has had a unique ability or power, right? From Guy being warrior, the red lantern, having the yellow ring, and being the Christmas lantern (red and green) to Kyle being the White Lantern to Hal being Willpower. How would you go about giving John a unique powerset (even momentarily)?
    Well in Van Jensen's run, John Stewart was the first lantern to become the first male Star Sapphire. Even knowing some people weren't really thrilled about the idea, it made the John Stewart character more competent than he's ever been. This was one of the key points that made John Stewart a strong capable leader, who's very competent and love the Corps so damn much, the ring chosen him as the first male Star Sapphire. Van Jensen did an excellent job there. He's even used the ring to save a world from being completely destroyed right before the GLC series ended before the DCYOU arrival. It was to show that John made up to what happened to Xanshi. I believe this is from the Black Market story arc, which Grant Morrison seems to be adopting that work currently in the new Green Lantern run. So John did have some unique ability there. The problem was editorial did not let Van Jensen tell the full story that he wanted to tell. He wanted I think 6 or so issues. We didn't get a conclusion on why John kept the Star Sapphire ring all along. It was unfortunate.

It's cool that writers (such as Scott Snyder) continue experimenting on John's power-set. I think it adds more to the character and gives him more development. This could be another way of John being his own character and not relying on other Green Lanterns. We've already seen how John was able to let go of Umbrax's influence and John helped the league to save Earth from being destroyed. Earth even became a white lantern! He then had a Green Lantern ring that suddenly appeared to him, which isn't really normal. I'm sure this new UV power-set has something to do with it. I'm totally fine on John being somewhat different as long as if it benefits the character in the time being, which I'm sure it does. I personally don't think John's power should be as powerful as Ion or Parallax. It should just be a unique power-set to him that just builds his character and him making good decisions to help the League tackle on incoming threats. Hopefully the Guardians will have an answer to why he has a Green ring that suddenly appeared and why he has this UV power.

Mighty Member

Every lantern has had some sort of unique power-up. It would only be right if John gets his own god mode thing. Obviously The Invincible Spectrum is something that will be unique to him. Why not have John have some sort of mastery over The Invisible Spectrum. I'm sure a Infrared ring, etc will have different abilities. They might as well run with it. Such a good concept.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Well in Van Jensen's run, John Stewart was the first lantern to become the first male Star Sapphire. Even knowing some people weren't really thrilled about the idea, it made the John Stewart character more competent than he's ever been. This was one of the key points that made John Stewart a strong capable leader, who's very competent and love the Corps so damn much, the ring chosen him as the first male Star Sapphire. Van Jensen did an excellent job there. He's even used the ring to save a world from being completely destroyed right before the GLC series ended before the DCYOU arrival. It was to show that John made up to what happened to Xanshi. I believe this is from the Black Market story arc, which Grant Morrison seems to be adopting that work currently in the new Green Lantern run. So John did have some unique ability there. The problem was editorial did not let Van Jensen tell the full story that he wanted to tell. He wanted I think 6 or so issues. We didn't get a conclusion on why John kept the Star Sapphire ring all along. It was unfortunate.

It's cool that writers (such as Scott Snyder) continue experimenting on John's power-set. I think it adds more to the character and gives him more development. This could be another way of John being his own character and not relying on other Green Lanterns. We've already seen how John was able to let go of Umbrax's influence and John helped the league to save Earth from being destroyed. Earth even became a white lantern! He then had a Green Lantern ring that suddenly appeared to him, which isn't really normal. I'm sure this new UV power-set has something to do with it. I'm totally fine on John being somewhat different as long as if it benefits the character in the time being, which I'm sure it does. I personally don't think John's power should be as powerful as Ion or Parallax. It should just be a unique power-set to him that just builds his character and him making good decisions to help the League tackle on incoming threats. Hopefully the Guardians will have an answer to why he has a Green ring that suddenly appeared and why he has this UV power.
    I personally disagree with this one part. While I don't think he should be permanently insanely powerful but it would be great to see John cut loose with a power on par with heavy-hitters like Ion, Superman, and Parallax. It would be an interesting character choice because we can see how John would handle that kind of power. I could see a situation where we see John has a better handle on that kind of power because, unlike the other Corpsmen, he has the discipline as well as the mental fortitude to control himself. I believe that's part of what people like about characters like Hal and Kyle (and even Guy to a certain extent) because they get to have those extreme feats of power. He could be DC's answer for Blue Marvel for a while and I can see him giving up that position after it's served it's purpose.

currently following:

I personally disagree with this one part. While I don't think he should be permanently insanely powerful but it would be great to see John cut loose with a power on par with heavy-hitters like Ion, Superman, and Parallax. It would be an interesting character choice because we can see how John would handle that kind of power. I could see a situation where we see John has a better handle on that kind of power because, unlike the other Corpsmen, he has the discipline as well as the mental fortitude to control himself. I believe that's part of what people like about characters like Hal and Kyle (and even Guy to a certain extent) because they get to have those extreme feats of power. He could be DC's answer for Blue Marvel for a while and I can see him giving up that position after it's served it's purpose.
    I have no problem with John having that kind of power, but I think it suits him better in his own solo series or some limited series and see how he handles that power. From there we could explore on how he could handle that kind of power, since he's the most responsible and disciplined Green Lantern. He's certainly the best candidate that could possess that kind of power. I just don't think it fits well with him on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I have no problem with John having that kind of power, but I think it suits him better in his own solo series or some limited series and see how he handles that power. From there we could explore on how he could handle that kind of power, since he's the most responsible and disciplined Green Lantern. He's certainly the best candidate that could possess that kind of power. I just don't think it fits well with him on this team.
    Oh, ok that I can kinda agree with. I think it would be nice to see a couple high end feats but for sure I think if he were to get a extreme level of power it would be best to see that explored in his own series and last long enough to maybe show off in one big event, before returning to his usual levels of power.

currently following: