Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Apparently Will Conrad is either doing a fill-in issue or covers. His art is great, so I'm happy to see him on JL in any capacity: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnd8DRdH...=willconradart
    What are your thoughts about Scott Snyder's handle on John Stewart and the mythology towards the invisible spectrum? I haven't heard your thoughts yet

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think that is why we're in the position we're in right now. Both Green Lantern series being cancelled, because it didn't reach expectations. To a certain extent, yes, Geoff Johns did revolutionize the franchise with better ideas and writing. Even John Stewart fan supported those books. I think on every comic book issue during the Johns' era, they were expecting him to play a big role in a high selling franchise. But after John fans got the hint, they refuse to support these Green Lantern products. We're at a point now that the Green Lantern fanbase isn't united like it was during the Geoff Johns' era. The fanbase is VERY divided.
    I don't know if it's really that simple to be honest. It's like when Hal fans always blame Kevin Dooley for Parallax when it's never up to just one guy. Johns was also told by Didio that he could kill off Kyle Rayner in Rebirth if he wanted and not only he didn't do it, but he brought Guy Gardner back as GL as well. I'm thinking he probably did have good intentions to where he truly wanted the Corps to be back in full force, but like most writers, he had his favorites and the star of his run was Hal so he was naturally going to favor Hal. What we have now isn't really the same thing, since Hal isn't the only Lantern that's allowed to shine anymore, even if it comes to other things like merchandise, there was no John Stewart Sideshow Collectible figures even a couple of years ago. We probably wouldn't have John Stewart in a Teen Titans Go! movie 3 years ago. Things are certainly not the same today as they were in the not so distant past, so again, I think when it comes to who gets the solo book treatment, must be based on which character they think fits that mold better and who they think is more suited as a team-up character. Like I said, I think that approach is either wrong or misguided, because it pidgeonholes the characters for no reason.

What are your thoughts about Scott Snyder's handle on John Stewart and the mythology towards the invisible spectrum? I haven't heard your thoughts yet
    It's better than I expected. When I heard about Xanshi, I didn't look forward to it much, but when an old trope is brought back to actually have a character move forward, that's a different story. I have mixed feelings on adding more to the emotional spectrum, but again, it seems to be taking an old concept done to death and adding more to it for the sake of having the bigger story move forward. which is fine in my book. Even though I still don't get why Snyder writes Barry like Wally, he does write the character dynamics well, so I can see why people enjoy his run. It does feel like it's a book about close friends, as opposed to teammates. I'm glad he didn't abandon Cyborg either, and the John/MM scene was beautiful.

I don't know if it's really that simple to be honest. It's like when Hal fans always blame Kevin Dooley for Parallax when it's never up to just one guy. Johns was also told by Didio that he could kill off Kyle Rayner in Rebirth if he wanted and not only he didn't do it, but he brought Guy Gardner back as GL as well. I'm thinking he probably did have good intentions to where he truly wanted the Corps to be back in full force, but like most writers, he had his favorites and the star of his run was Hal so he was naturally going to favor Hal. What we have now isn't really the same thing, since Hal isn't the only Lantern that's allowed to shine anymore, even if it comes to other things like merchandise, there was no John Stewart Sideshow Collectible figures even a couple of years ago. We probably wouldn't have John Stewart in a Teen Titans Go! movie 3 years ago. Things are certainly not the same today as they were in the not so distant past, so again, I think when it comes to who gets the solo book treatment, must be based on which character they think fits that mold better and who they think is more suited as a team-up character. Like I said, I think that approach is either wrong or misguided, because it pidgeonholes the characters for no reason.
    I agree. You have a point there. It's more people than just Geoff johns to point fingers at. I did hear that Dan Didio can be very shrewd as well.

But yea, things are progressing for more for John Stewart in not just comics, but other mediums as well.

It's better than I expected. When I heard about Xanshi, I didn't look forward to it much, but when an old trope is brought back to actually have a character move forward, that's a different story. I have mixed feelings on adding more to the emotional spectrum, but again, it seems to be taking an old concept done to death and adding more to it for the sake of having the bigger story move forward. which is fine in my book. Even though I still don't get why Snyder writes Barry like Wally, he does write the character dynamics well, so I can see why people enjoy his run. It does feel like it's a book about close friends, as opposed to teammates. I'm glad he didn't abandon Cyborg either, and the John/MM scene was beautiful.
    Thanks for this insight! What Scott Snyder did with the character was amazing. He turned from a negative to a positive approach to advance the character as being a competent hero. You rarely see anything like this when writers uses the Xanshi incident in a John Stewart story. It's always negative and make the character seem more incompetent. It really damaged John as a character, because writers only focuses on the Marine side and leave out the architectural side. Scott finally fixed the issue on what writers did that hurt the character for years.

It's nice to see John coming up with the idea to save Earth from being influenced by Umbrax. John finally realized that he's not just a Marine, but an architect as well.

When I see someone like Scott Snyder writing John Stewart very well, it shows me that he's very fond of the character. He gets a big credit in my book.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Love these two together. Katma really made him happy. Ugh I miss this John and I miss her.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 09-15-2018 at 11:34 PM.

I don't see them bringing Katma back, but I would love to see a story that's about John's past with her. An origin story would be ideal.

It's also nice to see that John Stewart is going to be in the DC development workshop

It also looks like John Stewart is going to be in Thanagar with Hawkgirl and The Martian Manhunter. This is going to be really interesting. I'm glad to see that Scott Snyder is keeping his word about John Stewart and those two are going to be focused on after the Aquaman/Wonder Woman arc. This is very promising:

Let’s take a trip to “Hawkworld” in part one of a new Totality-related storyline! Martian Manhunter, John Stewart and Hawkgirl avoided “Drowned Earth” with a detour to Thanagar-Prime: J’onn looks to tap into the ancient Martian mental database, GL struggles while practicing his new UV powers, and Kendra searches for answers about her connection to the Totality.
    So it looks like John Stewart have new powers it seems.

It also looks like John Stewart is going to be in Thanagar with Hawkgirl and The Martian Manhunter. This is going to be really interesting. I'm glad to see that Scott Snyder is keeping his word about John Stewart and those two are going to be focused on after the Aquaman/Wonder Woman arc. This is very promising:

Let’s take a trip to “Hawkworld” in part one of a new Totality-related storyline! Martian Manhunter, John Stewart and Hawkgirl avoided “Drowned Earth” with a detour to Thanagar-Prime: J’onn looks to tap into the ancient Martian mental database, GL struggles while practicing his new UV powers, and Kendra searches for answers about her connection to the Totality.

Awwwwww yeah, it's about time John finally got his own slice in the mythos of the emotional spectrum to play in. I can't wait to see what happens with this concept and I hope this doesn't get ignored or retconned to hell immediately after.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I don't see them bringing Katma back, but I would love to see a story that's about John's past with her. An origin story would be ideal.

It's also nice to see that John Stewart is going to be in the DC development workshop

That artwork for John is amazing, if only I could get that in poster form....

I like the artwork that's showcased here for John. Hopefully he gets a full story and it's good.

This looks so good. The three characters that's mainly making me like this current line-up are here and i'm pumped.

At first I thought John's costume was made up of stars but its just gravel.

Wonder what the new powers are like.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Awwwwww yeah, it's about time John finally got his own slice in the mythos of the emotional spectrum to play in. I can't wait to see what happens with this concept and I hope this doesn't get ignored or retconned to hell immediately after.
    I'm very excited! I don't think it'll be retconned. I believe writers would have to go through editorial for that to happen. And since Scott Snyder is one of DC's top writers, I doubt it.

Since John's mythos in the spectrum is being expanded, it'll add more to his profile so other writers could build upon it from Snyder's run. This is actually benefiting the John Stewart character.

Glad to see John is going to be spending time with both MM and Hawkgirl. And I’m really looking forward to seeing the UV thing get more fleshed out, it is such a good time to be a John stewart fan.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

Love these two together. Katma really made him happy. Ugh I miss this John and I miss her.
    So...I'm not alone with on this....

Extraordinary Member

That is a great cover. I'm glad JL is finally focusing on characters other than the trinity.