Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

So Grant Morrison is adding an ability to the Green Lantern rings.
    https://www.newsarama.com/41742-gran...hing-ring.html

Basically, he's making it a "magical wishing ring". I don't expect him to literally turn it into a "make a wish and it happens" ring but probably the constructs are gonna become permanent objects?

At first I thought this will only apply to Hal but it seems for all rings I guess. Think this will extend to John? Thoughts?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

Basically, he's making it a "magical wishing ring". I don't expect him to literally turn it into a "make a wish and it happens" ring but probably the constructs are gonna become permanent objects?

At first I thought this will only apply to Hal but it seems for all rings I guess. Think this will extend to John? Thoughts?
    Like Morrison said, the rings are capable of doing much more than just creating constructs. I remember reading GL when he was using the ring to teleport, turn invisible, move through time, etc.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I haven't read anything on Dan Jurgens. So I can't comment there. From what I've seen and heard, it sounds like a mystery. We all know that a Green Lantern didn't get KIA where John became a replacement Green Lantern from The Totality arc. His new ring appeared out of nowhere. Maybe John Stewart having a new ring relates to the plans Grant Morrison is doing in the new Green Lantern book. Or maybe it doesn't. We do know these writers (Morrison, Jurgens, and Snyder) are communicating with each other on plans of the Green Lantern mythology and making sure there's no lantern myth conflict occurring in the DCU.

Scott Snyder said way earlier this year that the Guardians are hiding something away from John Stewart and he's going to find out. That also probably have something to do with it.

BANNED

I'm intrigued by this part of the Jurgens interview:

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Burlingame View Post
    Do you have to be really aware of what else is going on in the DCU right now, with so much cosmic stuff happening in Justice League and the like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Jurgens View Post
    Certainly. Very early on, Scott and I talked about the idea of who is John, what is he? To me I have always thought John by virtue of being an architect should have a different view on how he does things as Green Lantern for example. Whenever you do something you have to be sure you’re not stepping on anyone’s toes.

BANNED

Could this mean the return of the prophecy surrounding John's birth, or is this just a side effect of the source wall?
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-09-2018 at 01:22 AM.

BANNED

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-09-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I'm intrigued by this part of the Jurgens interview:
    I actually posted this earlier on this thread. It's intriguing indeed

I'm more than sure that Scott Snyder isn't finished exploring new concepts in the Green Lantern mythology with John just yet.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I haven't read anything on Dan Jurgens. So I can't comment there. From what I've seen and heard, it sounds like a mystery. We all know that a Green Lantern didn't get KIA where John became a replacement Green Lantern from The Totality arc. His new ring appeared out of nowhere. Maybe John Stewart having a new ring relates to the plans Grant Morrison is doing in the new Green Lantern book. Or maybe it doesn't. We do know these writers (Morrison, Jurgens, and Snyder) are communicating with each other on plans of the Green Lantern mythology and making sure there's no lantern myth conflict occurring in the DCU.

Scott Snyder said way earlier this year that the Guardians are hiding something away from John Stewart and he's going to find out. That also probably have something to do with it.
    Sounds interesting.

Also was the JLA (1997) runs with John in them good?

Sounds interesting.

Also was the JLA (1997) runs with John in them good?
    That run alright. I did like John's interaction with Wally in the series, but the series was overall forgettable. His run with McDuffie was much better. I would say in my honest opinion that John was written well in McDuffie's run, which his presence was way better than when he was in those lantern books during that time.

The Justice League run with John Stewart under Scott Snyder is the best by far.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Could this mean the return of the prophecy surrounding John's birth, or is this just a side effect of the source wall?
    What prophecy?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I actually posted this earlier on this thread. It's intriguing indeed

I'm more than sure that Scott Snyder isn't finished exploring new concepts in the Green Lantern mythology with John just yet.
    Makes me wonder if Snyder gave John this new ring "out of nowhere" as a way for him to explore his version of a GL's powers without having to contradict what Morrison may be doing. He can always say that John's ring is different than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    What prophecy?
    The "Opener of Doors" prophecy. It says that John is the legendary hero that is both a great destroyer and builder that will lead the universe toward a brighter future. It's the reason why the Guardians hand picked him (rather than the ring finding him randomly) in current continuity. Heck even in pre new 52 continuity he was hand picked by the Guardians, but that was before the prophecy came about. When John was born, the Guardians watched him throughout his life and saw that he fit the bill, excelling in both the marine corps and as an architect.

Lol sorry for the long reply, I just get really passionate when talking about the prophecy because it holds soooooo much potential. The writers would have no choice but to give john his due as a TOP hero because his importance is on the universal scale. For those who don't know, you can check out Secret Origins #9 to get the full story.
    Last edited by Cosmic Emerald 23; 09-10-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Lol sorry for the long reply, I just get really passionate when talking about the prophecy because it holds soooooo much potential. The writers would have no choice but to give john his due as a TOP hero because his importance is on the universal scale. For those who don't know, you can check out Secret Origins #9 to get the full story.
    Holy shit, that sounds dope as fuck. Why does DC constantly keep going back to focus on making Hal even more space jesus when we have something like that still unexplored? (thanks for including the issue, definitely gonna go back and check that out)

EDIT: Ok so I went and spent the last 8 or so hours reading John Stewart related as in pertains to his secret origin and the "Opener of Doors" prophecy and (while it has strengthened my love for John Stewart) i don't think this will tie into John's new arc in Justice League. The prophecy seems to had been leading to him becoming a Guardian (which immediately got retconned for Emerald Twilight). Although, it is possible they could be expanding on it for the new continuity. I would love for that to be the case, I'm 1000% good on "Hal's the most specialest" stories for a while. Also, we definitely need more John on earth stories. I would love to see more about his activism background, we tend to get way too many about him being a soldier or an architect and how that shapes him but not enough about him before that. Damn, there is so much to work with for John! It just highlights my earlier question: Why does DC constantly keep going back to focus on making Hal even more space jesus when we have so much to explore?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-10-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Holy shit, that sounds dope as fuck. Why does DC constantly keeping going back to focus on making Hal even more space jesus when we have something like that still unexplored? (thanks for including the issue, definitely gonna go back and check that out)

EDIT: Ok so I went and spent the last 8 or so hours reading John Stewart related as in pertains to his secret origin and the "Opener of Doors" prophecy and (while it has strengthened my love for John Stewart) i don't think this will tie into John's new arc in Justice League. The prophecy seems to had been leading to him becoming a Guardian (which immediately got retconned for Emerald Twilight). Although, it is possible they could be expanding on it for the new continuity. I would love for that to be the case, I'm 1000% good on "Hal's the most specialest" stories for a while. Also, we definitely need more John on earth stories. I would love to see more about his activism background, we tend to get way too many about him being a soldier or an architect and how that shapes him but not enough about him before that. Damn, there is so much to work with for John! It just highlights my earlier question: Why does DC constantly keeping going back to focus on making Hal even more space jesus when we have so much to explore?

I agree about it possibly pertaining to him becoming a Guardian, but the prophecy still carried over to current continuity, so it can simply be repurposed for something bigger and greater separate from the "Mosaic" storyline.

I ask myself the same question all the time. It seems like they're trying to make the GL hierarchy like the other ones (Bat-Family, Team Super, Amazons, etc) where the original/silver age characters are the best/most important, but it doesn't work like that with them. The GLC is a police force, the other lanterns are not spin offs of Hal Jordan, they're their own characters. Hal did not create the GLC like Clark created the Superman persona or like Bruce created the Batman persona etc, the Guardians created it. He was just brought into something bigger that's been around waaaaaay before he was even born. And I agree with you, they do portray him as "space Jesus" any chance they get, especially under Geoff Johns. He was basically being paid to write professional fan fiction with all the d-riding Hal got from everybody. Hence some people on here feeling uncomfortable with Geoff working so closely on the GLC movie. I already posted a long-winded analysis on who should be the best of the human lanterns so I won't repost that, long story short: John should be #1 due to marine corps/architecture background that influences the ring's function. Again, Hal is my second favorite but I can't look past the other lanterns getting shafted (especially John) so they could give Hal the rockstar treatment after both John and Kyle revamped interest in the GL franchise through the animated world and comics respectively.