Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Oops up side your side....I said oops upside your head....

BANNED

Agreed John and katama was great and organically made,for some reason she's being kept dead because DC doesn't want earths lanterns to be in relationships just look at hal/kyle/guy....

Extraordinary Member

I think Hal will reunite with old flames. Kyle will be side-by-side with Donna again.

I'm not sure what is in store with John's love life. I do hope things stay platonic with Kendra.

But right now, I am content that John is being featured in JL.

As good as the pairing was in the cartoon, I wouldn't want to see John/Hawkgirl mostly for her sake. She's been a character SO defined by who she's coupled with (or specifically not coupled with) that I want to see her get her own due outside of relationships. Meltzer tried pairing her with Red Arrow and that was a mistake too.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Agreed John and katama was great and organically made,for some reason she's being kept dead because DC doesn't want earths lanterns to be in relationships just look at hal/kyle/guy....
    Honestly, Katma was before my time so maybe I'm just too far removed, but I would prefer her dead. This isn't even a matter of who i would prefer John to be with, I just think that a hero having greived a lost loved one is a staple of the superhero genre and (depending on the story) can be effective in their growth. The idea of John losing his wife, overcoming it, and moving on is something, I think, gives him a level of emotional maturity and only adds to his ability to overcome great trauma as well as great fear. I think Snyder having John grow past his traumas is a smart move and showcasing him confronting and overcoming his feelings about the lose of Katma could be just as big (if not bigger from a personal level) of a moment as him overcoming his feelings about Xanshi. I think fans should be more open to coming to terms with character deaths and them staying dead. The only issue I have with Katma's death is that i think they should officially retcon how she died. We need John's mythos to be more his own, I don't like that Star Sapphire (someone so linked to Hal Jordan) has anything to do with Katma's death.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    As good as the pairing was in the cartoon, I wouldn't want to see John/Hawkgirl mostly for her sake. She's been a character SO defined by who she's coupled with (or specifically not coupled with) that I want to see her get her own due outside of relationships. Meltzer tried pairing her with Red Arrow and that was a mistake too.
    This, I think, is the best reason for not having the pairing go through. I don't really care for the "but she belongs with Hawkman" idea. I'm all in for the pairing of John and Hawkgirl but I don't think it should (if it were to) happen anytime soon. I definitely agree that her being by herself is the best thing for the character, especially right now since she's so fresh on the scene again, and if her being paired up would hinder her development then I prefer it stays that way.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

This, I think, is the best reason for not having the pairing go through. I don't really character for the "but she belongs with Hawkman" idea. I'm all in for the pairing of John and Hawkgirl but I don't think it should (if it were to) happen anytime soon. I definitely agree that her being by herself is the best thing for the character, especially right now since she's so fresh on the scene again, and if her being paired up would hinder her development then I prefer it stays that way.
    I respectfully disagree hawkman and hawk girl being lovers is a big part of the hawks lore and I wouldn't change that for a cartoon cartoon that ended 12 ago (and I hated that cartoon I think I'm one of the few who likes John from reading the comics and not from the JLA series)

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    I respectfully disagree hawkman and hawk girl being lovers is a big part of the hawks lore and I wouldn't change that for a cartoon cartoon that ended 12 ago (and I hated that cartoon I think I'm one of the few who likes John from reading the comics and not from the JLA series)
    It's fine if you disagree but I don't even think it's a matter of changing it for the cartoon, it's the more about the characters. Like I said, although I'm 109% for the John/Hawkgirl pairing but part of that is because of the agency it affords Hawkgirl. I personally think it's long pass time for Hawkgirl not being defined by Hawkman, or anyone besides Hawkgirl for that matter. Part of what was cool about John and Shayera was that John was able to choose not to be with her in the face of destiny. The idea that - yeah, they have a son in a possible future and are still in love with each other but still having the show end with them moving on from each other and choosing to not be fate's puppet was a powerful move and taught me about the complexity of adult relationships as a kid in a weird way. Also, I'm always for characters forging new paths and growing and just like John had to grow past just being DC's token black guy in his inception, the Hawks should be allowed to grow beyond the "fated lovers" idea. personally, I find it the least interesting aspect of the characters. They don't really need it because the reincarnation could work without it; with the after the revelation in Metal, Hawkman has been doing a good enough job without relying on it right now.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

BANNED

It's fine if you disagree but I don't even think it's a matter of changing it for the cartoon, it's the more about the characters. Like I said, although I'm 109% for the John/Hawkgirl pairing but part of that is because of the agency it affords Hawkgirl. I personally think it's long pass time for Hawkgirl not being defined by Hawkman, or anyone besides Hawkgirl for that matter. Part of what was cool about John and Shayera was that John was able to choose not to be with her in the face of destiny. The idea that - yeah, they have a son in a possible future and are still in love with each other but still having the show end with them moving on from each other and choosing to not be fate's puppet was a powerful move and taught me about the complexity of adult relationships as a kid in a weird way. Also, I'm always for characters forging new paths and growing and just like John had to grow past just being DC's token black guy in his inception, the Hawks should be allowed to grow beyond the "fated lovers" idea. personally, I find it the least interesting aspect of the characters. They don't really need it because the reincarnation could work without it; with the after the revelation in Metal, Hawkman has been doing a good enough job without relying on it right now.
    And it's fine that you disagree with me,growing up with Carter and kendera in the 2000s made a huge fan of the hawks and I want to see Carter and kendera together so it's really matter of taste for a certain characters

Extraordinary Member

I always felt the Marine persona was John's way of dealing with the tragedies in his life.

Hopefully, Snyder can fully bring back the Architect persona when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I always felt the Marine persona was John's way of dealing with the tragedies in his life.

Hopefully, Snyder can fully bring back the Architect persona when all is said and done.
    That's how I interpreted it too. I prefered to see it as John focusing his identity as a soldier to cope with trauma and the socially conscious, charismatic architect side of him his how he normal is; as opposed to writers just being lazy when writing him.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-09-2018 at 06:08 PM.

currently following:

I think that was a way of Scott Snyder fixing John's character. The Marine aspect, to me was defined as a way of John Stewart being a stoic character, due to previous tragedies. As this was written from Geoff Johns to other (lazy) writers. So you see them focusing more on the Marine aspect than the architect. Batman, in Scott Snyder's run stated that John has only been a Marine after Xanshi and forgot what being the architect is all about or something like that. And now, Batman needs the architect back, rather than the Marine, so he could build things unimaginable. Batman was expressing John's backgrounds as reflecting on the type of character he's became after the Xanshi incident. Being stoic and all of that. I thought that was one of the best parts Scott Snyder has ever done thus far. I didn't think any writer would actually resolve that issue with John's character the way Scott Snyder has did. It was VERY creative on his part.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 10-09-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That's how I interpreted it too. I prefered to see it as John focusng his identity as a soldier to cope with trauma and the socially conscious, charismatic architect side of him his how he normal is; as opposed to writers just being lazy when writing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think that was a way of Scott Snyder fixing John's character. The Marine aspect, to me was defined as a way of John Stewart being a stoic character, due to previous tragedies. As this was written from Geoff Johns to other (lazy) writers. So you see them focusing more on the Marine aspect than the architect. Batman, in Scott Snyder's run stated that John has only been a Marine after Xanshi and forgot what being the architect is all about or something like that. And now, Batman needs the architect back, rather than the Marine, so he could build things unimaginable. Batman was expressing John's backgrounds as reflecting on the type of character he's became after the Xanshi incident. Being stoic and all of that. I thought that was one of the best parts Scott Snyder has ever done thus far. I didn't think any writer would actually resolve that issue with John's character the way Scott Snyder has did. It was VERY creative on his part.
    Fingers are crossed that Architect John becomes the dominant persona when all is said and done.

Just as important, future writers maintain what Snyder is doing with John.

Fingers are crossed that Architect John becomes the dominant persona when all is said and done.

Just as important, future writers maintain what Snyder is doing with John.
    That's the most important part and the hardest part, imo. It's best to get future writers that's very fond of the character.

Mighty Member

Best prison visit....ever?

where's this from? Wow.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    where's this from? Wow.
    I forgot what specific issue that was from, but it's from Green Lantern vol.3 when Kyle Rayner was the Green Lantern. John visited her in prison after he defeated her.