Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    John better beat Sinestro on his own. I'll have no more nonsense about John being the "weakest" lantern. He should easily be at the top.
    (Edit): Im not saying you have that perception. These are just my independent statements letting out some frustration regarding some John haters I've come across in the past.
    I don't see why people think John doesn't have the capability to not defeat Sinestro.

John Stewart shouldn't rely on any other Green Lantern to get out of his own trouble, because that would just further down making him a supporting character. He's an independent character, who's more than capable of beating Sinestro.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    John Stewart in Justice League #7 preview

Can anyone here predict who's going to win between John and Sinestro?
    Art looks gorgeous! I wonder how Earth became a white lantern? Like don't you need a ring? Also this being the first time Barry and John interacted is crazy.

I'm guessing he's using Hal to show how he always becomes overshadowed? Lol seems like a stretch but Sinestro is using Hal to convice John of something.

Snyder made it perfectly clear that he doesn't want Hal in his JL run, so I wish he didn't use him in any way to further another Lantern's story. The previous JL run did the same when the other Leaguers often brought up Hal's name to reassure Jessica and Simon that they belonged on the team or whatever. It's like writers or editors just can't help themselves, or at least that's what I've noticed. When Hal is part of the team, you hardly ever see or hear about other GLs at all, yet if he's not, you always hear about him in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Snyder made it perfectly clear that he doesn't want Hal in his JL run, so I wish he didn't use him in any way to further another Lantern's story. The previous JL run did the same when the other Leaguers often brought up Hal's name to reassure Jessica and Simon that they belonged on the team or whatever. It's like writers or editors just can't help themselves, or at least that's what I've noticed. When Hal is part of the team, you hardly ever see or hear about other GLs at all, yet if he's not, you always hear about him in some way.
    I remembered in issue #2 of Snyder's Justice League, John Stewart mentioned Hal Jordan being in the Justice League team and how he could not be anymore help than Hal Jordan. And then Batman stated that he doesn't want Hal on the team and explained how he would rather have John Stewart on the team instead. I feel that's Snyder's way of pushing the John Stewart character. I have feeling that Snyder's writing is alluding to John Stewart being a special and independent Green Lantern that doesn't need to revolve around Hal Jordan or anyone else to be a successful character.

I think stuff like that could be done with more subtlety. There's no need to tell the audience that "We don't want this guy, we want you", or try to reassure the character that they belong there instead of someone else, you know. We saw that with Kyle throughout the entire 90s. Besides, John has been a JL member after Xanshi, while Snyder's story almost makes it seem like he hasn't been a part of it since. I guess I can understand him bringing up Hal, since he previously used him in Metal and he has Sinestro in his story, but it's just not a preferable approach for me, since they seem to have been doing that with any GL that joined the League after Hal.

I still don't know how I feel about the return of Sinestro's classic look .

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think stuff like that could be done with more subtlety. There's no need to tell the audience that "We don't want this guy, we want you", or try to reassure the character that they belong there instead of someone else, you know. We saw that with Kyle throughout the entire 90s. Besides, John has been a JL member after Xanshi, while Snyder's story almost makes it seem like he hasn't been a part of it since. I guess I can understand him bringing up Hal, since he previously used him in Metal and he has Sinestro in his story, but it's just not a preferable approach for me, since they seem to have been doing that with any GL that joined the League after Hal.
    I see what you mean. Yea, it would be probably be better if Hal wasn't mentioned in these issues. Hal Jordan's name been brought up in issue #1, issue #2, and the upcoming issue #7. Who knows how many more after that.

Snyder is doing a remarkable job in his book. It's still amazing how he's able to write all of these characters and not just Batman this time around. I haven't read his Metal issues, but I'm sure he did good there as well.

Well, it’s not like Snyder hates the Hal Jordan character, I suppose.

Snyder chose to use Jordan, Cowgirl, Tom, and the rest of his volume 4 supporting cast in.Metal instead of someone else, just like he chose to use John in JL instead of someone else, so the Hal references don't bother me too much.

John has never been particularly close with any of these characters outside of the Trinity anyway and Sinestro has always done stuff like this (like all of the times he used Abin to get under Hal's skin during Johns' run or Hal and John to get under Guy's skin during Englehart/Staton's run)

As a HUGE John fan, I'm in the minority here when it comes to Snyder's use of John so far.

I hate the way writers keep bringing up Xanshi all of the time whenever they use John.

John already got over Xanshi, Katma's death, and the PTSD that stemmed from both in GL: Mosaic a long time ago (he became so in peace with both in fact, that John became the first human Guardian of the Universe known as the Master Builder for crying out loud)

I know every writer after Jones (yes I'm looking at you Marz, Winick, Raab, Johns and others) has ignored all of that, but I'm sick of writers beating the Xanshi thing like a dead horse.

It's treating John as a one note character when he's so much more complex than that.

There's way more to his character than just Xanshi.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 09-02-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    John has never been particularly close with any of these characters outside of the Trinity anyway and Sinestro has always done stuff like this (like all of the times he used Abin to get under Hal's skin during Johns' run or Hal and John to get under Guy's skin during Englehart/Staton's run)

As a HUGE John fan, I'm in the minority here when it comes to Snyder's use of John so far.

I hate the way writers keep bringing up Xanshi all of the time whenever they use John.

John already got over Xanshi, Katma's death, and the PTSD that stemmed from both in GL: Mosaic a long time ago (he became so in peace with both in fact, that John became the first human Guardian of the Universe known as the Master Builder for crying out loud)

I know every writer after Jones (yes I'm also looking at you Marz, Winick, Raab, Johns and others) has ignored all of that, but I'm sick of writers beating the Xanshi thing like a dead horse.

It's treating John as a one note character when he's so much more complex than that.

Because that is the only story with John in trades and you have Fatality running around.

So that gets tossed out instead of the other stuff. And not to mention John has barely interacted with anyone outside of Green Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Well, it’s not like Snyder hates the Hal Jordan character, I suppose.

Snyder chose to use Jordan, Cowgirl, Tom, and the rest of his volume 4 supporting cast in.Metal instead of someone else, just like he chose to use John in JL instead of someone else, so the Hal references don't bother me too much.

I know every writer after Jones (yes I'm looking at you Marz, Winick, Raab, Johns and others) has ignored all of that, but I'm sick of writers beating the Xanshi thing like a dead horse.

First of all, welcome to this thread

To be honest many posters here didn't like Snyder bringing up Xanshi at first either. Because we see the same thing, over and over with other writers seemingly using Xanshi, not really being interested in the John Stewart character. But when people start reading the book, there's been a positive reaction. Snyder, as a writer seems to be different than those other guys, who wrote John Stewart.

Yes, the John character was supposed to get over it way back in Mosaic. It's similar with Cyborg, where in Forever Evil, Vic, says says he accepts being both man and machine, but yet other writers still having the character debating about the Man vs Machine. I wouldn't even count Mosaic here, because what happened in Emerald Twilight. So John's Mosaic run has been disregarded. Even Van Jensen said in an podcast interview that he doesn't even know whether that story should be a part of continuity. This can be blamed on editorials. It's a real damn shame on how they did John there.

The ONLY way for Xanshi to not be brought up again by other writers (who aren't mostly interested in him) is if Xanshi comes back to life. So they won't have an excuse.

I think Snyder's use for John with Xanshi is different and doesn't have the same reasonings like those other writers.

Mighty Member

I think with the White Lanterns playing a role in Justice League and John being THE master builder. Is it a stretch to think that Synder will have John bring Xanshi back to life?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I think with the White Lanterns playing a role in Justice League and John being THE master builder. Is it a stretch to think that Synder will have John bring Xanshi back to life?
    Well that’s one way for him to get Fatality off his case. Lmao.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Well that’s one way for him to get Fatality off his case. Lmao.
    Oh no, she's petty. She'll find something else.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I think it's possible and I don't think it's a stretch to speculate it. What we learned from the earlier issues is that John was trying to figure out a way to bring Xanshi back to life. That could be a hint.

What's currently going on with Earth and how it became a white lantern, most of that credit goes to John Stewart here. He's the one who figured out how to counter the hidden forces and used his conscious with Xanshi to successfully prevent Earth from being taken control of Umbrax. This is a real big feat for the character. This is why Batman wanted John Stewart on the team from the start.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think it's possible and I don't think it's a stretch to speculate it. What we learned from the earlier issues is that John was trying to figure out a way to bring Xanshi back to life. That could be a hint.

What's currently going on with Earth and how it became a white lantern, most of that credit goes to John Stewart here. He's the one who figured out how to counter the hidden forces and used his conscious with Xanshi to successfully prevent Earth from being taken control of Umbrax. This is a real big feat for the character. This is why Batman wanted John Stewart on the team from the start.
    It's also a big deal because heroes rarely get the chance to rewrite the tragedy in their lives.