Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    I dont recall Shiva's race ever being specified. Infact during the O'Neal years she was drawn as more Indian than anything.
    I get the first argument but the second one is hokey as hell.
    There is no evidence confirming Shiva as Chinese beyond typical stereotypes which imo is more insulting.
    I was referencing Cassandra's Batgirl run, which did establish that she was part Chinese. Personally, I find almost every aspect of Lady Shiva an offensive stereotype starting with her name and the interpretation of a popular and actively worshipped god, but that's just me. As a devout Hindu housemate of mine pointed out: members of Abrahamic religions have been doing worse for ages and at least they got the Thuggee as being non Hindu right.

Brenda the Barista was the first one to discuss with Cass her Chinese looks in the Bludhaven arc. Unlike Shiva, Cass was always depicted as being Chinese in appearance. It's one of the reasons she was sent to Hong Kong. Her early stories starting in No Man's Land characters regularly discussed that not only was Cass Chinese, but everyone assumed that Cain had bought her or stolen her from an orphanage. Up until the decision to retcon Shiva never having children and making her Cassandra's mother, you're absolutely right that Lady Shiva was some sort of miscellaneous Eurasian ethnicity. Batgirl, and later Birds of Prey, made her a Chinese American.

About Birds of Prey Cass:

"In the new film, Robbie, Winstead, and Smollett-Bell team up to protect Cain’s character when she comes across a diamond belonging to McGregor’s Black Mask, a kingpin in Gotham City’s criminal underworld," reads the Hollywood trade's description of the movie.

https://www.newsarama.com/42732-grey...le-report.html

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

"In the new film, Robbie, Winstead, and Smollett-Bell team up to protect Cain’s character when she comes across a diamond belonging to McGregor’s Black Mask, a kingpin in Gotham City’s criminal underworld," reads the Hollywood trade's description of the movie.

So, Cass in name only, huh? *sigh*
    And why is HARLEY in the Birds of Prey movie!? What about Babs!?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, Cass in name only, huh? *sigh*
    And why is HARLEY in the Birds of Prey movie!? What about Babs!?
    It's a weird choice that she would be Cass in name only.

I mean Cass character and background could work even without her connection wirh Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    It's a weird choice that she would be Cass in name only.

I mean Cass character and background could work even without her connection wirh Batman.
    Agreed. And her taking up the Batgirl mantle only needs Babs there for it. Who is missing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Agreed. And her taking up the Batgirl mantle only needs Babs there for it. Who is missing.
    To be fair, they wouldn't use Barbara, because they're still working on the current situation with Batman and the Batfamily. Unfortunately, Barbara as Batgirl (or even Oracle) background and story is too connected to Batman.

This also probably means they don't plan to create a connection of Cassandra with Batman (or Batgirl). Otherwise, they would not use Cassandra in this movie.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-15-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

Really hope that there's more that they're keeping from us.

I mean hell, they could have used Spoiler, if that's all she's there for.

Fantastic Member

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, she's a skillful martial artist assassin, not bullet or bombproof, but it does sound like she's a thief.
    Need more context.
    What is Harley's role in this? Black Mask's hired gun?

BANNED

That's whats got everyone scratching their heads, Huntress is supposed to be Black Mask's hit woman not Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
    I'm kind of surprised they seem to be going this young with her (considering what I've seen of the girl on Google), but I guess they weren't kidding about her being a kid in this.

Ultimate Member

After they did it with X-23 in Logan, I'm not surprised.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think that this movie will be particularly comic book accurate.
    And if you will go into that movie expecting to see the comic book version of these characters, you will be probably disappointed.

Cass when she found out about her role in the film.

Extraordinary Member

I always thought that Cassandra Cain would make the transition to more media via being a walking action scene.

Really hope they're not just using a name for a cute little damsel in distress.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP