Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    Eh, I'm not worried. It'll probably be like Logan, a young female bad ass hunted by an army.

BANNED

I remember Cassandra going by Kasumi in JL Elite and having a different costume. Why dont they return to it? Surely it beats Orphan.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    I remember Cassandra going by Kasumi in JL Elite and having a different costume. Why dont they return to it? Surely it beats Orphan.
    Dressing her like Little Orphan Annie and calling her "Annie" would beat the Orphan code-name!

Batfamily Elite(from another big cass fan, she has the batsymbol):

Attachment 73620

Fantastic Member

Question

First of all because Kasumi is the protagonist of the Dead or Alive games and DC was obviously copying that character, including the costume, when the name was applied to Cassandra. Secondly Kasumi is a Japanese name and Cassandra is Chinese American. Both caused a great deal of well deserved outrage at DC.

For someone who has never read anything with Cass in it, what are the trades fans would recommend for someone who wants to get into the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    For someone who has never read anything with Cass in it, what are the trades fans would recommend for someone who wants to get into the character?
    Her pre-Flashpoint Batgirl run is a good read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    First of all because Kasumi is the protagonist of the Dead or Alive games and DC was obviously copying that character, including the costume, when the name was applied to Cassandra. Secondly Kasumi is a Japanese name and Cassandra is Chinese American. Both caused a great deal of well deserved outrage at DC.
    I dont recall Shiva's race ever being specified. Infact during the O'Neal years she was drawn as more Indian than anything.
    I get the first argument but the second one is hokey as hell.
    There is no evidence confirming Shiva as Chinese beyond typical stereotypes which imo is more insulting.

I dont recall Shiva's race ever being specified. Infact during the O'Neal years she was drawn as more Indian than anything.
    There is no evidence confirming Shiva as Chinese beyond typical stereotypes which imo is more insulting.
    Lady Shiva's real name being "Sandra Wu-San", and being labeled as "Chinese" here;
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Sandra_Wu-San_(New_Earth)
    Is rather supportive of Cass being Chinese American.

Kasumi is a weird hero codename anyway. It's just a normal first name.

(...Am I the only one that likes the name Orphan? lol)

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Kasumi is a weird hero codename anyway. It's just a normal first name.
    Yes, but much like 'Lance' is a normal guy's name but also evokes meaning as a weapon, Kasumi (Mist/haze) evokes extra meaning to Japanese speakers and has a history of being given to several female ninja/fighter characters (Kasumi from Dead or Alive wasn't even close to the first - I vaguely remember a ninja girl called Kasumi from The Samurai tv series that was made in the 60s, for example.)

Extraordinary Member

Shivas Origin is imo anyway kind of a mess, she has for example also some connection with the O-Senei (her sister was his goddaughter) and one who is who profile (iirc from a Question Annual) said that she is Eurasian.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    Honestly, I don't remember anyone caring about the name/costume. Once it was revealed to be Cass in the costume, people knew it was a homage more than anything else.