Page 44 of 115 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I should just add one more thing about the Costume design for GL. Kane had created the costume with dance in mind, so the comment about leatardes is not completely off. In fact, it might well be spot on. His idea was that he wanted a uniform that attenuated the dramatic movements and scene designs that he envisioned creating going forward, and you can see how that artistically plays out in the covers I posted. Green Lantern was to be an action hero, and the uniform was to visually add to that action. This is an essential part of the legacy of Green Lantern and adds to what makes it visually appealing to read. It is a brilliant design.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Everytime someone disagrees with you, you get personal and insulting.
    Are you sure about that? A lot of us have had disagreements here for years, ask yourself why are you the only one I reacted that way towards? Perhaps it may have something to do with the nature of your comments towards me.

You said you don't see a problem with a massive change in the unifrom, but I do because it is not the iconic uniform of GL as conceived by its creator and it is not a minor change, like the floating lantern symbol or a move of the back lines. Gil Kane went through a lot of trouble over the costume for GL and I happen to think his disign should remain essentailly intact. That is not cause for you to be insulting. No one attacked you personally, or called you an idiot, or disrepected you in any way. I'm just explaining to you that changes over the design has a long history and Kane created the iconograghy of the character and defined it.
    It's not a massive change, it simply does not have the green over his butt anymore. You're free to enjoy whatever design you wish, your expression that the current design somehow "violated" the classic costume is what I couldn't understand. Despite some minor changes here and there, DC has been overall very respectful of the classic look of the character. And when they weren't, we got things like this.

Last edited by Johnny; 09-25-2018 at 08:54 AM.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't call the Renegade look disrepectful - that was clearly meant to be a temporary break from the norm. On the other hand, giving Hal white boots is "disrepectful" in my book.

Personally, I think the fact that the uniform hasn't changed very much - even with all the variations within the different corps members - is a testament to Kane's design. (except maybe for Arisia - that outfit seems dated and out of place to me for how much it departs from Kane's scheme)

Spectacular Member AimToTheStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Apparently I was wrong about my Parallax speculation earlier. Jim Cheung seems to be drawing good ol' Hal for Justice League.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoIvMcvg...y=jimcheungart
    This is fantastic and stay positive guys.
    ''There were other women, of course. But none of them mattered. Not like her. She was the one.'' -Hal Jordan.

BANNED

Are you sure about that? A lot of us have had disagreements here for years, ask yourself why are you the only one I reacted that way towards?

Yes, I am sure of it. I've actually seen the short temper a few times with others as well, and then there is the confrontational icon. I don't care. I'm not going to be less expressive because it upsets you or frustrates you. Nor do I intentionally frustrate you. Nor will I be baited into attacking you personally.

This entire thing is a meta conversation and this is my last post on it.

It's not a massive change, it simply does not have the green over his butt anymore. You're free to enjoy whatever design you wish, your expression that the current design somehow "violated" the classic costume is what I couldn't understand. Despite some minor changes here and there, DC has been overall very respectful of the classic look of the character. And when they weren't, we got things like this.
    You might not feel it was a massive change, but as I pointed out, GLs creator did think it was a massive change, and in the media discussed this and discussed it in person, if you had ever met him. DC plays with costumes from time to time. But I agree that in general they return to the iconography because of the profits and the trademarks... ultimately. There was the Black Superman suit (whci was neet for the few issues), the change to WW's outfit ... other examples. Because the ring creates the uniform, I think that artists and writers take more liberties to alter GL uniforms for storylines. I don't think Gil would object specifically to that, but the change in the base uniform would get his ire and is not the iconography of Hal Jordan's GL. Eventually it will likely revert. Kane's design was inspired genius.

BANNED

BTW - the Flash uniform was also designed with specfic visuals in mind, to display interesting panels of super speed movment. A lot of thought went into that design as well, especially the yellow belt line which allowed for Infantano to create the illusion of movement.

Carmen also discussed this in various media as well. Flash, or corse, preceeded GL by a couple of years almost. Showcase 22 was in 1959 and I think Showcase 4 was in 56?

BANNED

Mighty Member

Here's a new interview plus preview pages!!! I love absolutely everything I'm hearing and seeing about this book. I'm so excited for November.

https://ew.com/books/2018/09/25/gran...ntern-preview/

“He has no possessions. He carries a rucksack with his lantern, his old beat-up old airman’s jacket, and that’s it. He just wanders around sleeping on couches,” Morrison says. “He has a lot of women, Hal’s had a lot of girlfriends and female characters he’s connected with over the years, and we’re bringing them all back. Carol Ferris is his one true love with sparks and fire, but we wanted to bring back all these different women from his past. They all have different relationships with him, and they’re not all sexual relationships. Some have a problem with him, some really like him and their husbands hate him; we’re playing a lot more with this guy who appears in your life suddenly and now Green Lantern’s sleeping on your couch for the next week. What are you going to do with him?”

BANNED

I was trying to find direct quotes of Kane on th custome design... which is harder to research than one might think, but this should give an idea as to how he came about the design and specifics.

Apparently I was wrong about my Parallax speculation earlier. Jim Cheung seems to be drawing good ol' Hal for Justice League.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoIvMcvg...y=jimcheungart
    Hal looks locked and loaded .

Yes, I am sure of it.
    Really? You said that "everytime someone disagrees with me, I get personal and insulting", so defend that claim please. The most hardcore debates I've had on these forums had to do with people blaming the Hal Jordan character for the failure of the 2011 movie, the claim that he should not be part of a Justice League roster because he's a straight white dude, or the notion that the mainstream audience doesn't care about the character because he wasn't part of a cartoon show from two decades ago. As hardcore as some of those debates got, none of them got personal except perhaps the topic of diversity, which is a passionate topic everywhere. So you're telling me that I attack people everytime they disagreed with me, because I've had disagreements with you. I must have struck some nerve for you to make claims like that against me. To each their own.

I'm not going to be less expressive because it upsets you or frustrates you. Nor do I intentionally frustrate you. Nor will I be baited into attacking you personally.

This entire thing is a meta conversation and this is my last post on it.
    Great, because it's disingenuous to suggest that someone was asking you not to express your opinions, let alone "baiting" you into anything, but, again, to each their own.

Back to appreciating the title character.

Last edited by Johnny; 09-25-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Here's a new interview plus preview pages!!! I love absolutely everything I'm hearing and seeing about this book. I'm so excited for November.

https://ew.com/books/2018/09/25/gran...ntern-preview/

This actually sounds really cool and interesting. I'm honestly a little more excited about this run now .

"What’s it like when he’s called into a domestic dispute, but the domestic dispute is between two intelligent clouds? What’s a police interrogation like when the person you’re interrogating is a giant intellectual spider?" Yeah, this is going to be a Grant Morrison comic.

I also like that he acknowledges that Carol is his one true love while also acknowledging his past romantic history. So I'm guessing we'll probably see Arisia, Olivia Reynolds, Kari Limbo...

Unrelated topic, but Christopher McQuarrie confirmed that WB once offered him to direct GLC but he declined because there was no script. Perhaps the Tom Cruise rumors may or may not have been that far-fetched.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-25-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Personally, I think the fact that the uniform hasn't changed very much - even with all the variations within the different corps members - is a testament to Kane's design. (except maybe for Arisia - that outfit seems dated and out of place to me for how much it departs from Kane's scheme)
    Renegade aside, I don't think there's been any changes to Hal's costume that would piss me off. I always saw it as a uniform and uniforms change every once in a while. They did it on Star Trek TNG. As for Arisia, I feel like her mini-skirt falls under the same category as Black Canary's fishnets or Power Girl's boob window. Yeah... maybe not the most progressive fashion choices, but you kinda have to grandfather them in since they're so iconic to the character.
    Save Ferris...