Page 18 of 115 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zoch View Post
    The Green lantern solicitation seemed interesting I'm looking forward to Hal upcoming Green lantern book.
    same here.

also hoping there is enough hype to bring in new readers and bring back old ones.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    To be fair, Venditti certainly did a better job balancing the giant cosmic space wars with actual human emotion post-Rebirth than he did during the worst days of the New 52, when the book was a non-stop series of events that had virtually no character depth that I could recognize.
    Did he? When it comes down to Hal?
    At least we had some family times of Hal and his brother in N52.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Did he? When it comes down to Hal?
    At least we had some family times of Hal and his brother in N52.
    I had dropped the book before the DCYou Renegade revamp happened so I couldn't comment on those stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Looking at this very special Hal "Hands" Jordan moment with Sinestro got me all like....

Thanks, Johnny!

You're welcome, interestingly enough it's a very Batman-like moment. lol

Astonishing Member

Just picked up the entire Action Comics Weekly run since it was the only GL run I hadn't actually read, pretty disappointing for the most part not even interesting until the Owlsely M.D. Bright issues. Katma's death came out of no where, everyone basically taking a crap on Hal, a fun relationship I enjoyed in GL Corps turned into a miserable one (Hal and Arisia) and a lobotomy story point. Still think the Lord Malvolio and Priest are characters that should be revisited but the rest of it is best forgotten/retconned away. I was always intrigued by the Lord Mal's look and thought he would be a cool protagonist to a Hal Jordan/Alan Scott adventure, seeing he appears to be an oversized Alan Scott, maybe the Lord Mal and Hallax take on Hal and Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Just picked up the entire Action Comics Weekly run since it was the only GL run I hadn't actually read, pretty disappointing for the most part not even interesting until the Owlsely M.D. Bright issues. Katma's death came out of no where, everyone basically taking a crap on Hal, a fun relationship I enjoyed in GL Corps turned into a miserable one (Hal and Arisia) and a lobotomy story point. Still think the Lord Malvolio and Priest are characters that should be revisited but the rest of it is best forgotten/retconned away. I was always intrigued by the Lord Mal's look and thought he would be a cool protagonist to a Hal Jordan/Alan Scott adventure, seeing he appears to be an oversized Alan Scott, maybe the Lord Mal and Hallax take on Hal and Alan.
    If memory serves, I believe Priest eventually followed up on the Lord Malvolio plot in a GL prose novel.

The Action Comics Weekly run was interesting in that it leaned heavily on Denny O'Neil's preferred version of Hal Jordan, a sad sack hero whose good intentions often had terrible consequences. Priest was a far better writer for that version of Hal than O'Neil was, who served as editor during this time.

When Andy Hefler took back the GL franchise from O'Neil, Preist was the first to go because Hefler and he didn't see eye to eye.

i'm interested to see what the franchise looks like at the one-year mark of morrison's run. hal will be established in a more back-to-basics approach (not a critique, i'm stoked for this), but so many others are scattered across various books (john in justice league, jessica in odyssey, kyle's reportedly got a role in heroes in crisis -- let's hope he makes it out). i'm not entirely sure where guy and baz will be, but this is the first time in well over a decade we're down to one gl book in the franchise. i've always been a big believer in a corps title, i hope we see one again soon-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The Action Comics Weekly run was interesting in that it leaned heavily on Denny O'Neil's preferred version of Hal Jordan, a sad sack hero whose good intentions often had terrible consequences. Priest was a far better writer for that version of Hal than O'Neil was, who served as editor during this time.
    I hated most of that run with a fiery passion, but things started getting interesting with Priest (the character). I also enjoyed the team-up with Dinah and Ollie, mostly just to see them together again- the story itself was just okay.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    i'm interested to see what the franchise looks like at the one-year mark of morrison's run. hal will be established in a more back-to-basics approach (not a critique, i'm stoked for this), but so many others are scattered across various books (john in justice league, jessica in odyssey, kyle's reportedly got a role in heroes in crisis -- let's hope he makes it out). i'm not entirely sure where guy and baz will be, but this is the first time in well over a decade we're down to one gl book in the franchise. i've always been a big believer in a corps title, i hope we see one again soon-ish.
    The Green Lantern franchise is not currently strong enough to support a 2ndary title about characters no one had any strong interest in or desire to read on a regular basis. All of the momentum Rebirth generated was lost on a book helmed by Simon and Jessica. The secondary title helmed by John and Guy (or heck even Kyle) would have performed better and probably would have generated a 2nd lantern title or sustained the existing one.

Astonishing Member

huge fan of Morrison's JLA and Superman (limited series) didn't really care for his Batman run. Seems by all I have read that Morrison is easing into the Green Lantern/Hal Jordan pool with a back to basics approach, which I am fine with so that he can find Hal's voice and get into a groove. While I am a fan of universe threatening epics, the GL universe has been nothing but that for quite some time now, I wouldn't mind a bit more characterization for a while but eventually I want the epic storylines to return just not constantly. Even the X-Men had the X-girls go shopping issue and the X-boys get drunk issue after Inferno, or the no mutant abilities baseball games.

Even the X-Men had the X-girls go shopping issue and the X-boys get drunk issue after Inferno, or the no mutant abilities baseball games.
    I can just see now how Venditti would have written a scene of the "Four Corpsmen" relaxing...

(Arisia would be in the background being a cheerleader, Kilowog would be working on his tan and Salaak would be the ref keeping score...)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-22-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I'm still in the middle of picking them up but I agree. It's pretty bad and treats Hal pretty poorly. Surprising coming from Peter David who I generally like. The opening arc by Owsley was pretty good but after that it was lame.

But I love reading those AC Weekly in general. They are a lot of fun with all those different heroes in them.

Also I'm reading Emerald Dawn as well. Also treats Hal poorly and so far not a fan.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake