Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I managed to avoid the double posting for some reason. lol But yeah, I'm disappointed about losing the old thread too, especially if it was for no reason. It had almost 2M views. That's insane.
    yeah, i remember it was nearing 2 million. that was cool.

was it really the appreciation threads that's been slowing down the forum?

Well, given the forum isn't loading any faster, I don't think so.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I have only read Green Lantern Secret Origin. The next one I'm confused because I don't know how much has changed and how much they matter.

I know Geoff Johns run started with Rebirth, that Emerald Eclipse is controversial, and Emerald Dawn is his Post Crisis origin.

I just don't know how much all those stories or story elements still count in the present, or at least, during Geoff Johns run.

Like, how much Emerald Dawn is changed by Secret Origin? How much is Emerald Eclipse changed by Rebirth? Should I read that far back? Wouldn't I be confused if I read Rebirth with no context from Eclipse or Spectre since it's supposed to be a continuation and Hal's redemption?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wow, if this was you trying to be optimistic and less cynical, you might want to try a little harder

Seriously, Morrison is a great creator and Sharp is a great artist. At the very least it will bring new eyeballs to a character you already love, which will no doubt create some sorely needed new fans for Hal Jordan.
    You might as well be telling a horse to try and become a unicorn.

At this point, I don't care if Morrison brings a new audience in or DC actually pays attention to the character. I just want to be reminded of why I used to think this was my favorite comic.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I have only read Green Lantern Secret Origin. The next one I'm confused because I don't know how much has changed and how much they matter.

I know Geoff Johns run started with Rebirth, that Emerald Eclipse is controversial, and Emerald Dawn is his Post Crisis origin.

I just don't know how much all those stories or story elements still count in the present, or at least, during Geoff Johns run.

Like, how much Emerald Dawn is changed by Secret Origin? How much is Emerald Eclipse changed by Rebirth? Should I read that far back? Wouldn't I be confused if I read Rebirth with no context from Eclipse or Spectre since it's supposed to be a continuation and Hal's redemption?
    I'm going to guess that you mean "Emerald Twilight" when you say "Emerald Eclipse." (when Hal turned bad)

The simple answer I think is that most of it is still relevant in the broad strokes, but to certain degrees - "Emerald Dawn II" introduced the notion of Sinestro as Hal's training officer and gave Hal a direct role in Sinestro's dismissal from the Corps and subsequent exile, which is all still very important to their dynamic. However, "Emerald Dawn I" has mostly been replaced by Johns "Green Lantern: Secret Origins" - Hal's origin has been retold a bunch of times and the only consistent thing is that Abin Sur crashed and died and gave Hal the ring - the rest keeps getting "updated" in terms of what made Abin Sur crash and how it related to Hal's first adventure.

"Emerald Twilight" pretty much still happened as it was told, but in "Rebirth" Johns added the stuff about Parallax really being a space-bug that infected Hal. A retcon, but it didn't change what happened, just changed the reasons for it happening that we were never aware of. I believe Hal's time as the Spectre still happened, but Hal doesn't really remember it anymore and nobody talks about it, so it's just kinda dropped. But yes, I would say that Hal's appearances after "Emerald Twilight" were all based on what happened there, pretty much through "Rebirth" leaving essentially a blank slate with the beginning with #1 of the Johns GL series.

So, ultimately I'd say it's all relevant because the fans and writers all know this stuff and that's what they're working from in terms of Hal's arc regardless of what's in continuity or not. (and again, I'd say most of it is, but the details of much of it has been tweaked over the years)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-07-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Hal likes to get punchie...
    2018_0727_Hal.jpg

Doug Mahnke's art is sorely missed on GL.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    You might as well be telling a horse to try and become a unicorn.

At this point, I don't care if Morrison brings a new audience in or DC actually pays attention to the character. I just want to be reminded of why I used to think this was my favorite comic.
    My advice? Re-read some of your favorite comics or read some old Hal Jordan comics you haven't checked out yet. If you'd like some recommendations, I'm sure myself and others on this board can give you some good suggestions.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

I've advised many friends just start reading from Rebirth by the timeline after Secret Origin and none of them got confused by the long complex past of Green Lantern comics.
    Geoff Johns did use many references but he made sure the relaunch was new readers friendly and the stories stood on their own.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    sorry to see venditti leave. i'm a huge grant morrison fan so i'm looking forward to his run, but venditti did a good job.

seemed like his new 52 run suffered a bit from DC realizing the satellite books weren't doing so hot and forcing a few crossovers, but hal jordan & the green lantern corps has been solid the whole way through (imo). hope he goes out with a bang in #50.
    I'm surprised there was no crossover with Green Lanterns, and indeed the only crossover was one issue for Metal: Bats out of Hell. The title had enough leads to account for a crossover's worth of leads anyway, as what happened in New 52, so it's no big deal. The lack of an annual is disappointing, but the Rebirth era overall has had fewer annuals than New 52 did.

Astonishing Member

A note about issue 50: spoilers:
    In the final pages Hal goes to Carol's house and when he knocks she opens the door. Then they kiss. Not peck on the cheek kiss, but hugged closely make-out kiss. You can't see Carol's hands too closely, so no indication of if she's wearing the Star Sapphire ring.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Although it is just a perfunctory response to the fans persisting in this ship which was sunk by him initially and this scene could've been done at any point of this series and probably will be ignored by the next writer.
    It's nice to see.

I thought the finale ived up to the hype. Venditti's run might have not been particularly memorable and downright bad at times, but it did have it's moments. I'm pleased this issue was definitely one of them. And yeah, the ending was really nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    I'm surprised there was no crossover with Green Lanterns, and indeed the only crossover was one issue for Metal: Bats out of Hell. The title had enough leads to account for a crossover's worth of leads anyway, as what happened in New 52, so it's no big deal. The lack of an annual is disappointing, but the Rebirth era overall has had fewer annuals than New 52 did.
    I just recorded an interview with Venditti last night and when I asked about stories he didn't get to tell that he wanted to he actually mentioned two crossovers he wanted to do, one of them being with Green Lanterns. He said that the scheduling didn't work out behind the scenes for it to happen. The story idea was pretty interesting, involving more Power Rings.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more