Page 54 of 115 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "By the power of the Lantern, I have the Power!"
    imagine if eternia was part of sector 2814...

hmmm... hal and teella might work.

Mighty Member

Another interview! I feel spoiled.

http://m.ign.com//articles/2018/10/0...-green-lantern

But Morrison doesn't want to win Hal new fans by scraping his intimidating history -- he wants to prove that Hal has been worth your time all along.

Hal Jordan's been around since the 1950s and he's one of the few characters whose history has gone basically unchanged. But as you can imagine, he's gone through a lot of different writers and his personality has changed quite radically during that time," Morrison explained while speaking with IGN and a small group of reporters at DC's office in Burbank, California. "He's gone through so many iterations and [there's a sense of disconnection] between all of them. But like Batman, he becomes interesting when you combine them all."

By subverting these expectations, Morrison hopes to sell Hal to a brand new generation of fans, maybe not because he plans to make Hal "relatable," but because he's so unlike anything else the DCU has to offer.
    "Kyle Rayner had my dream life," Morrison admits, "He made sense to me. [...] But I'm more interested now in exploring these viewpoints that aren't mine and getting a prismatic view of the world. It's been hard to get inside Hal's head, but that's become the exciting part of this book -- to be in there and to realize 'oh my god, this guy's got so many dimensions.'"

I'm beyond thrilled that he's emphasizing Hal's complexity as a character, I've felt that's a really underrated aspect of Hal

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post

I'm beyond thrilled that he's emphasizing Hal's complexity as a character, I've felt that's a really underrated aspect of Hal
    Sounds like he is doing what he did for Batman, taking all of the past and acting as if everything happened.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Sounds like he is doing what he did for Batman, taking all of the past and acting as if everything happened.
    I can see Morrison making the whole "Hal turned Tom into a bird by accident one time when he was asleep" part of canon.

I know Morrison isn't everyone's cup of tea but damn I really wish everyone at DC shared his love and viewpoints about writing different characters. Characters you aren't as familiar with or don't have agreeing ideologies with should be a challenge to write and understand.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can see Morrison making the whole "Hal turned Tom into a bird by accident one time when he was asleep" part of canon.
    If Morrison could re visit all the crazy things the ring coul do back in the day, and make it look like it's always been part of the rings power set, that would be interesting.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Morrison himself is saying all the right things. It took a long time for his writing to click with me, but I love that crazy bastard now. Very much looking forward to his take on Hal.

The article itself saying Hal being boring is pretty much a given is kind of obnoxious though, same with the other recent articles. They say he's never won over the younger generation of GL fans. Um, that doesn't seem to be entirely the case. I for one at least am one of them, the fans who grew up reading when Kyle came on board are older than me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Morrison himself is saying all the right things. It took a long time for his writing to click with me, but I love that crazy bastard now. Very much looking forward to his take on Hal.

The article itself saying Hal being boring is pretty much a given is kind of obnoxious though, same with the other recent articles. They say he's never won over the younger generation of GL fans. Um, that doesn't seem to be entirely the case. I for one at least am one of them, the fans who grew up reading when Kyle came on board are older than me.
    So what made you like Hal? And who else do you follow?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    So what made you like Hal? And who else do you follow?
    I came on board the GL franchise with Johns' run, so Hal was pretty much the first Lantern I followed other than seeing John on JL/U. So Johns take won me over along with stuff like Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier. Hal is a character that is very easy for writers to get wrong or for fans to dismiss, but I find the takes who make him come off as a more mature Han Solo-type individual very rewarding. Stuff like the aforementioned runs and Tom King's one-off story during Darkseid War. Whereas I was told by many fans that Kyle was more relateable and interesting, but I've always personally found him to just be bland Peter Parker-lite that barely interacted with the larger GL mythos in his early stories.

So I basically only like Hal as far as Earth GLs go, though I also see potential and the need for John and want him to get more stuff. I tend to like the older characters in general as a lot of them were either always around or making a comeback when I started reading, the 90s/early 2000s era isn't really "mine."

I feel really good about this run. The fact that Hal has been able to retain most of his history really works well with Morrison’s love of continuity. I love that he wants to treat all of Hal’s history as “phases” of his life.

Gotta laugh at the shade at Hal though. Millennials might think John Stewart or Kyle Raynor are GL, but it’s been my experience that Gen Z’s are Hal fans. Johns was their intro to GL, not the JL cartoon. Hal’s taken his spot as “The” GL back from John for a while now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I came on board the GL franchise with Johns' run, so Hal was pretty much the first Lantern I followed other than seeing John on JL/U. So Johns take won me over along with stuff like Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier. Hal is a character that is very easy for writers to get wrong or for fans to dismiss, but I find the takes who make him come off as a more mature Han Solo-type individual very rewarding. Stuff like the aforementioned runs and Tom King's one-off story during Darkseid War. Whereas I was told by many fans that Kyle was more relateable and interesting, but I've always personally found him to just be bland Peter Parker-lite that barely interacted with the larger GL mythos in his early stories.

So I basically only like Hal as far as Earth GLs go, though I also see potential and the need for John and want him to get more stuff. I tend to like the older characters in general as a lot of them were either always around or making a comeback when I started reading, the 90s/early 2000s era isn't really "mine."
    The same with me. Johns’ run is epic and the best Green Lantern run of all time. I did go back and read the 90s/early 2000s stuffs. But they’re just not appealing. And I never understand what they say about “relatable”. Creating an ordinary character so that fans could self-insert is “relatable”? Nah I’d rather read something different. Or I would rather read my own diary, that’s the most relatable stuff to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    The same with me. Johns’ run is epic and the best Green Lantern run of all time. I did go back and read the 90s/early 2000s stuffs. But they’re just not appealing. And I never understand what they say about “relatable”. Creating an ordinary character so that fans could self-insert is “relatable”? Nah I’d rather read something different. Or I would rather read my own diary, that’s the most relatable stuff to me.
    Agreed, I don't need to relate to a character to find them interesting. Some of my favorite characters I cannot relate to at all, especially the villains (thankfully in their case ).

I did like Kyle in Morrison's JLA and in King's Omega Men though. But the only other thing I've read extensively by Ron Marz is his Witchblade stuff: I LOVED the parts of his run where he had Stjepan Sejic as his co-creator/artist, but the parts of his run not drawn by Sejic were pretty average to poor. I already know that the combination of his writing and the decimation of Hal and the GL mythos early in his run are gonna turn me right off. And the other writer who wrote a lengthy run for Kyle's era is Judd Winick, which...meh.