Page 87 of 115 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1723
    Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I am gonna wait and give Morrison's Hal a chance however the one trope I am tired of that he is using as well is the, "Hal's personal life is a total disaster" one. Sure he isn't a billionaire playboy like Bruce but in a majority of comics Superman notwithstanding the characters everyday real life is rarely if ever featured and discussed, yet none of the other characters that I can think of are depicted as losers because of it. Either the Guardians should provide a stipend or, go back to the John's he works for the government so they forgive the absences thing. I just don't like Hal portrayed as a dufus for doing what all the other characters do as well. What other heroes can or do hold down an everyday job, pay rent, ect and if they do how do they do it?
    Just because Hal is a drifter and can't hold down a job doesn't make him a "loser" unless you think a person's worth is to be judged by their employment status. It makes him interesting and stand apart from other heroes.

Also, Hal was not portrayed as a dufus at all in this issue. He was shown to be incredibly smart. It's just that what may appear important to other people and heroes on earth appears boring to Hal. That doesn't make him a dufus.
    Last edited by Mutatis_Mutandis; 11-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.

I am gonna wait and give Morrison's Hal a chance however the one trope I am tired of that he is using as well is the, "Hal's personal life is a total disaster" one. Sure he isn't a billionaire playboy like Bruce but in a majority of comics Superman notwithstanding the characters everyday real life is rarely if ever featured and discussed, yet none of the other characters that I can think of are depicted as losers because of it. Either the Guardians should provide a stipend or, go back to the John's he works for the government so they forgive the absences thing. I just don't like Hal portrayed as a dufus for doing what all the other characters do as well. What other heroes can or do hold down an everyday job, pay rent, ect and if they do how do they do it?
    I don't think that's how Morrison is presenting Hal. It might be along similar lines as how he's been presented before, so Morrison isn't ignoring the facts of his life as we've seen them, but he's given it a depth and context that has been missing which makes Hal anything other than a loser. Eve may see Hal one way, but she only sees the superficial aspects of his life. Hal isn't concerned about jobs or a steady residence - he's okay with himself and his main job. It's only been one issue, but I think it will become more apparent that his Hal is a lot more complicated that the man we've been shown.

Astonishing Member

Oh not dogging Morrison for it, it is just frustrating as a Hal fan that there are issues addressed with his character that go largely ignored by most except for Peter Parker, he is an everyman, Clark Kent to make this demi-god appear more 'human', and Bruce as Alfred always chides him about neglecting his alter ego, Bruce Wayne. I don't read Wonder Woman but haven't seen much Diana Prince stuff, or Barry Allen every day life stuff, ect, ect. Then again maybe it is just me.

Right - I am not a fan of "directionless loser Jordan" either - I hate when Hal is depicted like that as well, but since you haven't read it I thought I'd throw in my two cents which is that Morrison seems to be taking that trope and diving deeper into it in a way that makes Hal not a loser, but just someone who lives a different kind of life that most people can't relate to.

Quite frankly, it actually makes sense that Hal wouldn't have a stable life on Earth. The others are also superheroes, but Hal is more than just a superhero/vigilante. He has to watch over a whole sector in space, which is more than one planet. It is quite difficult for him to keep up with his life when he has to be off to deep space for months on end. That trope you mentioned pretty much took that idea a little too far. It's started a long while ago with Hal being unable to keep a job or having to live off his friends due to him being a GL, and recently, since the New 52, it's expanded to Hal being an idiotic loser in general and a lot of new readers seem to familiarize themselves with that. However, as the others have said, Morrison seems to want to explore the idea that Hal is more directionless rather than being a loser. He's seen so many extraordinary things that now earthly stuff like having a job, paying bills and rent become too mundane. I think it's a very interesting approach.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Right - I am not a fan of "directionless loser Jordan" either - I hate when Hal is depicted like that as well, but since you haven't read it I thought I'd throw in my two cents which is that Morrison seems to be taking that trope and diving deeper into it in a way that makes Hal not a loser, but just someone who lives a different kind of life that most people can't relate to.
    issue 1 was definitely different kind of life from what i was expecting. let's see where this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    soooo..... 5 hours on the ground seems rather long....

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    soooo..... 5 hours on the ground seems rather long....
    Well, Hal is a "down to Earth" guy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    I think the first issue's sale would be good, considering Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp's names alone already guarantee some interest, not to mention that DC's been pushing for this one.
    I know Grant draws in sales, but I'm a bit embarrased to admit that I am unfamiliar with Liam's previous work.

Anyway I am glad they're both handling The Green Lantern.

While Morrison's take on Hal has been very intriguing so far, it makes me wonder how he sees the other earth Lanterns. Much of what he said about Hal's experiences applies to them as well, but I don't imagine they all reacted to this life the way that Hal has. It will be interesting down the line when he figures out his takes on the others.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    While Morrison's take on Hal has been very intriguing so far, it makes me wonder how he sees the other earth Lanterns. Much of what he said about Hal's experiences applies to them as well, but I don't imagine they all reacted to this life the way that Hal has. It will be interesting down the line when he figures out his takes on the others.
    He did write Kyle for a good bit in JLA, but I think he only ever penned John and Guy in Final Crisis (although I think he's said he's a fan of John).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    where is this from?

The Controllers arc from HJ&TGLC.