Page 91 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1723

Cover to #4.

"In a bar on Rann, two shrouded strangers recount two blood-chilling narratives—one in which a Blackstar heavyweight demands access to a secret vault on planet Weirwimm, threatening its gruesome annihilation with Sun-Eaters; and the other about maverick Hal Jordan and his small cadre of GLs struggling to destroy those same Sun-Eaters. And the cliffhanger—as any TGL fan will tell you about this book—may stun you enough to buy two copies!"

Spectacular Member AimToTheStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Cover to #4.

Wow, Blackstar armor looks spooky.
    ''There were other women, of course. But none of them mattered. Not like her. She was the one.'' -Hal Jordan.

Cover to #4.

Isn't Blackstar a Supergirl villain? Morrison going deep here.

Will Hal hit on his attractive new female villain ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Blackstar a Supergirl villain? Morrison going deep here.

Will Hal hit on his attractive new female villain ?
    "Blackstars" are the name that's given to Morrison's version of the Darkstars (presumably he would have just used "Darkstars" as a name if he wasn't coming directly after an arc that featured them as a universal threat).

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I've been slowly working my way through the DeMatties/Sook/Breyfogle Spectre series and, while the art is gorgeous, I can't say I'm surprised that this take on Hal Jordan didn't really resonate with fans. A lot of the same New Age-y navel-gazing that DeMatties has done before in Dr. Fate and elsewhere, but cranked up to eleven. The biggest problem is that I am nine issues in and the exact same ideas keep getting repeated over and over again without any forward momentum. I dunno, it's just so dour and pretentious. I already bought it, so I'll finish up the series, but I think I'll mostly be checking out the art from now on, because the dialogue reads like a 3rd year philosophy major on mushrooms rolling around on the floor of the apartment his parents pay for

An interesting wrinkle is something I had forgotten about. The dead Jordan brothers that were swapped around following Infinite Crisis. In this series, it's Jim Jordan and his family who were killed in Coast City, whereas Johns had Jack Jordan and his family die when Mongul blew up Coast City. This had the effect of retconning away the entirety of what DeMatties had done because his work all seems to hinge upon Hal's relationship with Jack's daughter Helen, who has never appeared since then. The strange thing is that originally, neither Jordan brother died in Coast City because Gerard Jones had just established that both of them had moved away from Coast City prior to its destruction.

Like with Hal's former fiance Kari Limbo, I guess they needed to retroactively make Coast City's destruction more impactful by retconning more and more of his loved ones as part of the death toll. I'm kinda surprised that good ol' Tom Kalmaku wasn't thrown under that particular bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

I've been slowly working my way through the DeMatties/Sook/Breyfogle Spectre series and, while the art is gorgeous, I can't say I'm surprised that this take on Hal Jordan didn't really resonate with fans. A lot of the same New Age-y navel-gazing that DeMatties has done before in Dr. Fate and elsewhere, but cranked up to eleven. The biggest problem is that I am nine issues in and the exact same ideas keep getting repeated over and over again without any forward momentum. I dunno, it's just so dour and pretentious. I already bought it, so I'll finish up the series, but I think I'll mostly be checking out the art from now on, because the dialogue reads like a 3rd year philosophy major on mushrooms rolling around on the floor of the apartment his parents pay for

An interesting wrinkle is something I had forgotten about. The dead Jordan brothers that were swapped around following Infinite Crisis. In this series, it's Jim Jordan and his family who were killed in Coast City, whereas Johns had Jack Jordan and his family die when Mongul blew up Coast City. This had the effect of retconning away the entirety of what DeMatties had done because his work all seems to hinge upon Hal's relationship with Jack's daughter Helen, who has never appeared since then. The strange thing is that originally, neither Jordan brother died in Coast City because Gerard Jones had just established that both of them had moved away from Coast City prior to its destruction.

Like with Hal's former fiance Kari Limbo, I guess they needed to retroactively make Coast City's destruction more impactful by retconning more and more of his loved ones as part of the death toll. I'm kinda surprised that good ol' Tom Kalmaku wasn't thrown under that particular bus.
    shame though if dc continued with this, because not many heroes have a strong family supporting cast. i'd rather all of hal's family be alive for future use. (of course ecluding martin jordan's death is a major part of hal's history).

so about hal's niece, helen, has she been retconned out of existence?
    Last edited by liwanag; 11-20-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    ... The biggest problem is that I am nine issues in and the exact same ideas keep getting repeated over and over again without any forward momentum....the dialogue reads like a 3rd year philosophy major on mushrooms rolling around on the floor of the apartment his parents pay for
    Those two parts pretty much sum up my experience with that series as well. It could have been good, but we're better off that it wasn't or Rebirth never would have happened.

BANNED

I'm really optimistic about Grant's run with Hal

its going to be an all time great GL run, i have a feeling on this

How can you not hate him, right? Even he agrees.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    shame though if dc continued with this, because not many heroes have a strong family supporting cast. i'd rather all of hal's family be alive for future use. (of course ecluding martin jordan's death is a major part of hal's history).

so about hal's niece, helen, has she been retconned out of existence?
    I don't see how she could be alive since a key part of her storyline was how the baddie manipulated the deaths of Jack & Jan Jordan in a car accident so that she could be raised by Hal, who was her only "living" relative. If you stuck with the current notion that Jim Jordan survived Coast City while Jack Jordan was killed, that would mean that Helen would be sent to live with Jim and his family, not Hal.

Of course, given Helen's clearly magical nature, perhaps some future writer could explain that she was sent to some alternate reality by Spectre Hal in order to keep her safe, which would spare her from the history revisions of Infinite Crisis. I don't think anyone would necessarily want to do so, though. Hal as The Spectre is kind of a creative dead-end following the revelations of Parallax's true nature during GL: Rebirth.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Gotta love that winning smile .

Spectacular Member AimToTheStar's Avatar

It explains what happened on Twitter a few days ago.
    ''There were other women, of course. But none of them mattered. Not like her. She was the one.'' -Hal Jordan.