Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
Messner-Loeb's run on the character was awesome.
Mark Waid made Wally his own of course, and the stuff done by Morrison & Millar when Waid was taking a break is also great fun.
Morrison and Miller did a pretty good job and it was nice to get a little change.

But I've always wondered what happened to make Waid take a break, as you said and veer off from the huge momentum he was building.

He really built up to a big finale and culmination with Terminal Velocity and then took it a step even further with Dead Heat.

As I said it reminded me a lot of Sinestro Corp war with how he expanded the mythos of the heroes power and identity and also the cast and family connections as well.

But where as Johns SCW was just a jumping off point and tip of the iceberg to so much more Waids just petered off. Very unnaturally as well.

After Dead Heat we had a nice after story with Race against time of Wallys return and the the intro of John Fox. Another great Flash added and mythos and family epanded. But after that . Just a few fill in stories. Waid taking a break and other writers pitching in. And even when Waid would write he would have Brain Augusten as co writer. It felt a lot more hap hazard and just figuring it out as they went.

I don't know what happened but if definitely felt like Waid was really building up to something and those plans were derailed unoraginically in some way.

Too bad. I really think we could have gotten something akin to Johns GL run, expanding the franchise and mythology in a really great way. At least we still have the seeds of such greatness to read about.