Page 74 of 94 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1401
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I am sure DiDio has a bias against Wally West, but I also think Wally West's hardcore fans are looking at the situation too much as fans, while ignoring or not wanting to accept other factors, even though I'm pretty sure they are aware that they are there... Wally West is problematic because...

a) Fans likely won't accept him going back to his original identity of Kid Flash.
    b) Fans are going to want him to be The Flash, and he just cannot be that, because...
    c) There can only be one "Fastest Man Alive." Not two, not four, but only one, and DC has made it clear that person is going to be Barry Allen.

The Flash is not a corps. The Flash is one man who is, again, the undisputed Fastest Man Alive. The concept does not support multiple versions using the same name the way the Green Lantern Corps concept supports multiple heroes.

I am saying this as a person who prefers Wally West, but looking at this as a creative person, if you were to present the idea to me of two Flashes running around at the same time, I would tell you that is weird. stupid, and unnecessary. Or there would have to be an extremely clever narrative reason for that to be going on, and I can only imagine it being clever if done temporarily, or very sparingly. Some hyper fans might be able to think of some reason why that would happen, but to make the concept as easily digestible as it can be, the best thing to do is to NOT have that happen indefinitely.

"The Flash is a guy in a red suit who is the Fastest Man Alive. His name is Barry Allen."

That is pretty easy to understand, accept, and explain, and I think DC (DiDio) likes it that way. Remember, these characters aren't just comic book characters anymore, only being presented to super fans who obsess over decades of continuity. DC also has to keep these characters and concepts accessible to average joes. Wally West as Flash introduces a lot of complications that require explaining and thus make the concept harder to digest for people who don't know all the minutia. The same goes for the 9000 different versions of Robin. The Green Lanterns suffer from this, too, but it's easier to accept there because the concept of the Green Lantern Corps and the Power Ring (the hero is given a device that many others use rather than having some specific innate ability or acquiring powers through a one in a million freak accident) better allows for it.

That said, I think DC has made some really boneheaded moves with Wally West over the years, but I understand the dilemma he presents for them. Even if he does sell comics, when you look at things in the long run as I mentioned before, The Flash is more than a comic, and I can see how some may feel it's in the character's/franchise's best interest not to make it overly muddled with confusing things. The main reasons I see people have difficulty getting into comics is that they're hard to find, they're expensive, and... they're confusing.
    I don't think I've ever disagreed with a statement on this forum more than this one!!
    By your logic everyone would find Batman confusing as there's been five different Robins, 3 different Batmen etc.

There has almost ALWAYS been more than one Flash in the DCU.
    Jay Garrick was reintroduced in Barry's title back in #123 and was around right up until New 52 blew everything up.
    Nobody found it confusing, even when Jay existed on a parallel Earth which was accessed by Barry vibrating a different frequency!
    After Crisis we had Jay, Johnny and Jesse, Bart, Max, John, Jenni etc. and still nobody was confused.

Wally doesn't present a problem. He opens up another avenue of stories. He's the ultimate sidekick who made good. He took over from his mentor and eventually surpassed him.
    Think of all the stories that could be told playing on the dynamic of Barry and Wally!

For reasons I don't understand, they NEVER showed Barry and Wally in action together for any great length of time. Barry is a man out of time. He's been dead for years. All the people who knew are older, died, been reborn, replaced, retired etc. His sidekick is faster and more experienced than he was when he originally died. How does Barry feel about all this?? How does Wally feel seeing his idol alive & kicking again. How do they work together? Do they work together?
    What does Barry think about Bart?

Honestly, I could rant and rave for another 10 paragraphs about this stuff....
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    . . . There has almost ALWAYS been more than one Flash in the DCU.
    Jay Garrick was reintroduced in Barry's title back in #123 and was around right up until New 52 blew everything up.
    Nobody found it confusing, even when Jay existed on a parallel Earth which was accessed by Barry vibrating a different frequency!
    Actually, I found having a Flash on a different Earth was less confusing (story-wise), but what did I know?

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    After Crisis we had Jay, Johnny and Jesse, Bart, Max, John, Jenni etc. and still nobody was confused.
    And, aside from Jay, how many of those characters were named "The Flash" at the same time/ living in the same time-period as any of the other of those characters were?

Having multiple super-speedsters isn't necessarily confusing, but having to say "which one" when you're talking about characters currently named "The Flash" can be a bit of a challenge.
    If they're on separate Earths / living in separate time periods, you eliminate some of that, but having more than one "The Flash" at the same time in the same place / same time-period can be a problem for some people.

Sorry I’m late to the Party again- Why are we all ranting- I went away for a while to Finish Smallville
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    HiC #3 completely destroyed me.....
    Man what is it with DC and their aversion to Wally.
    Its painful (its actually caused me to drop HiC and I don't normally drop a series after I've started). I still think if we want it to change then a grass-roots campaign of letters needs to start, personally.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, I found having a Flash on a different Earth was less confusing (story-wise), but what did I know?

And, aside from Jay, how many of those characters were named "The Flash" at the same time/ living in the same time-period as any of the other of those characters were?

Having multiple super-speedsters isn't necessarily confusing, but having to say "which one" when you're talking about characters currently named "The Flash" can be a bit of a challenge.
    If they're on separate Earths / living in separate time periods, you eliminate some of that, but having more than one "The Flash" at the same time in the same place / same time-period can be a problem for some people.
    I kinda agree with this. I think Wally has more than earned the title of the Flash but I can understand wanting to differentiate between them. I definitely wouldent mind giving Wally even more uniqueness to give him his own thing.

You could make him use his speed a little differently or call him Red Flash or something. Honestly as long as Wally is around and keeps his core characteristics they can do whatever theyou want. As long as it's not crapping on him of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Sorry I’m late to the Party again- Why are we all ranting- I went away for a while to Finish Smallville
    Lol. Same here . Not Smallville though. Did you finish the series yet?

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    Its painful (its actually caused me to drop HiC and I don't normally drop a series after I've started). I still think if we want it to change then a grass-roots campaign of letters needs to start, personally.
    I'd be up for that. I don't think it will actually do anything but can't hurt.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

What would you do ? Serious question from a Wally fan tired to see cynicism and despair are always winning in comics.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    What would you do ? Serious question from a Wally fan tired to see cynicism and despair are always winning in comics.
    As someone who was involved back in the day with the various SPIDER-GIRL campaigns I would (and will) write a letter (*respectfully*) just explaining why Wally West means so much to me personally (if enough people do this it will give DC an idea of why Wally is popular).

I would also, in the local comic store (if you have one, not everyone does) recommend some Wally trades to people new to the series and perhaps do flyersto make people in store aware of Wally.

That's just a few ideas (I'm incluned to think a written letter would have more effect then an e-mail personally but you may disagree)

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Lol. Same here . Not Smallville though. Did you finish the series yet?
    Literally Last Night before I saw the Start of Elseworlds with Flash
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I think they already know what Wally means to the readership. They probably saw the numbers of DC Universe : Rebirth #1. But they don’t care :/

And Didio seems truly happy with what’s going on. We’re talking about a dude who literally spoiled HiC #1 months before its release. A man who was laughing while telling people at Comic Con that “things gonna get worse for Wally West”. He just doesn’t care or understand how we feel right now. I’m pretty sure he would find this thread hilarious.

Incredible Member

I think they already know what Wally means to the readership. They probably saw the numbers of DC Universe : Rebirth #1. But they don’t care :/

And Didio seems truly happy with what’s going on. We’re talking about a dude who literally spoiled HiC #1 months before its release. A man who was laughing while telling people at Comic Con that “things gonna get worse for Wally West”. He just doesn’t care or understand how we feel right now. I’m pretty sure he would find this thread hilarious.
    Thing is you can actully go above Didio, and without *trying* then things don't impriove. Its very easy to say Didio is laughing but DC (and Warner) are a company and they will listen to fan feedback *if* there is enough. Just a few people on a forum isn't going to make an ounce of difference but if enough people comment it *can* make a difference IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Who is who is the WRITER for Sideways. You can't blame folks for not touching that book with HIS name on it. A book he used to bash the Titans. So why would Wally fans (among others) support that book?
    I keep forgetting how involved in Sideways Dan Didio was, despite his name being on the cover. Okay, bad example. Silencer then. Or Terrifics. Or any of the other high quality, excellent titles the line provided us.

You read it because its good. Which is the only reason anyone should read anything. I get what you're saying and where you're coming from, I truly do, and we both want the same things from DC. But when the publisher puts out a quality book and you don't read it because of the mistakes they made in the past you're just shooting yourself in the foot. You're telling them that there's no point to trying, because you've already made up your mind and DC can't change it or prove themselves.

If you want quality books with a diverse cast, you need to support the good titles DC puts out with a diverse cast. And yes, that includes Sideways. If you dont? Why would DC give a damn about trying again? I get where you're coming from man, I really do. But your anger is blinding you. We all have plenty of reason to be pissed off at the comics industry about these topics and the treatment a lot of characters have gotten. But if you condemn every book DC puts out, you'll never get the thing that we all want.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Thing is you can actully go above Didio, and without *trying* then things don't impriove. Its very easy to say Didio is laughing but DC (and Warner) are a company and they will listen to fan feedback *if* there is enough. Just a few people on a forum isn't going to make an ounce of difference but if enough people comment it *can* make a difference IMHO
    Well all right ! What’s the address ? Let me try with my best english !

Incredible Member

Well all right ! What’s the address ? Let me try with my best english !
    You can write to Bob Harras (as senior VP) at 2900 W Alameda Avenue, Burbank, CA 91505 GST, USA or e-mail at this link: https://www.dcentertainment.com/#contact

Hopefully that's helpful and I hope a few of us will write.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

You can write to Bob Harras (as senior VP) at 2900 W Alameda Avenue, Burbank, CA 91505 GST, USA or e-mail at this link: https://www.dcentertainment.com/#contact
    I'll have to come back to this thread later, but just to clarify here, Didio is Harras boss, not the other way around.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Major, I get that. But DC released the genie. They can't stuff it back in now.
    But we're not talking 7 characters all names the Flash. We're talking about three. Jay, Barry and Wally. As it had been for about 30 years prior to New 52 reboot.
    It wasn't broken then, and the fix managed to alienate a number of old fans. Why not simply rectify the problem and sell more books?
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.