Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 44849091929394
Results 1,396 to 1,401 of 1401
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Messner-Loeb's run on the character was awesome.
    Mark Waid made Wally his own of course, and the stuff done by Morrison & Millar when Waid was taking a break is also great fun.
    Morrison and Miller did a pretty good job and it was nice to get a little change.

But I've always wondered what happened to make Waid take a break, as you said and veer off from the huge momentum he was building.

He really built up to a big finale and culmination with Terminal Velocity and then took it a step even further with Dead Heat.

As I said it reminded me a lot of Sinestro Corp war with how he expanded the mythos of the heroes power and identity and also the cast and family connections as well.

But where as Johns SCW was just a jumping off point and tip of the iceberg to so much more Waids just petered off. Very unnaturally as well.

After Dead Heat we had a nice after story with Race against time of Wallys return and the the intro of John Fox. Another great Flash added and mythos and family epanded. But after that . Just a few fill in stories. Waid taking a break and other writers pitching in. And even when Waid would write he would have Brain Augusten as co writer. It felt a lot more hap hazard and just figuring it out as they went.

I don't know what happened but if definitely felt like Waid was really building up to something and those plans were derailed unoraginically in some way.

Too bad. I really think we could have gotten something akin to Johns GL run, expanding the franchise and mythology in a really great way. At least we still have the seeds of such greatness to read about.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Spectacular Member

happy new year/hogmanay to all you fellow wally fans, even though it's gunna be another year of dc shitting on him.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Morrison and Miller did a pretty good job and it was nice to get a little change.

But I've always wondered what happened to make Waid take a break, as you said and veer off from the huge momentum he was building.

He really built up to a big finale and culmination with Terminal Velocity and then took it a step even further with Dead Heat.

As I said it reminded me a lot of Sinestro Corp war with how he expanded the mythos of the heroes power and identity and also the cast and family connections as well.

But where as Johns SCW was just a jumping off point and tip of the iceberg to so much more Waids just petered off. Very unnaturally as well.

After Dead Heat we had a nice after story with Race against time of Wallys return and the the intro of John Fox. Another great Flash added and mythos and family epanded. But after that . Just a few fill in stories. Waid taking a break and other writers pitching in. And even when Waid would write he would have Brain Augusten as co writer. It felt a lot more hap hazard and just figuring it out as they went.

I don't know what happened but if definitely felt like Waid was really building up to something and those plans were derailed unoraginically in some way.

Too bad. I really think we could have gotten something akin to Johns GL run, expanding the franchise and mythology in a really great way. At least we still have the seeds of such greatness to read about.
    I remember reading an article with Mark Waid at the time and he stated he just needed a break to recharge his batteries.
    As it was, he took over writing JLA (His White Martians arc was a RIPPER!).
    You're right though. When he came back there was something missing. It was still a great book, but it wasn't in the same tier was his previous stuff and I still maintain his Chain Lightning arc was his weakest.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Oh yeah that's right. A lot of cool easter eggs in there. Too bad it didn't amount to anything.
    Well, we still got Bart back, so that's something .
    The tv version is like comparing the Batman and Robin movie's Bane to comic Bane honestly. A mockery of a great character.
    I look at it how I look at how they handled Zoom. I think the comic version is more compelling and interesting, but the TV version is fine for what it is.
    Nice. How are you liking it? Return of Barry Allen is a classic. You'r in for a treat.
    It's really growing on me the more I read it. I'm liking Wally and Linda's relationship development and the Thawne reveal was awesome (and I do love me some Thawne).

I can't wait to read more about Max Mercury and when Bart shows up.
    My humble suggestion is to read the Wally series from the beginning. Waid is great and all, but he really builds off of all that came before. You will appreciate the series so much more when you see the natural progression and evolution Wally goes through as the series unfolds.
    I've started from Book One and am trying to move on from there .

I've read all of Johns' run and really enjoyed that so I'm looking forward to reading more of Waid's run.
    I'm sure you have heard that most people like Wally so much because of the natural growth that you see him go through right before your eyes.
    I have and I can believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Also I don't think Johns has ever had a good grasp on Barry. Every time he's written him for more than an issue there's something off. The best he ever did was Dastardly and that was just a well executed typical style Flash story that wasn't very character depth driven.
    I actually thought Johns had a solid take on Barry, at the very least whenever I read him writing Barry it didn't feel like Johns was just trying to write Wally as The Flash like some other writers have.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm hoping to see Wally return in Young Justice - Outsiders and everyone's just keeping it under their hats.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I'm hoping to see Wally return in Young Justice - Outsiders and everyone's just keeping it under their hats.
    I would be shocked if Wally didn't return.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics