Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

While I don't always like trendy terms, I guess I like "woke" because it makes me think of GET OUT, which was a pretty frightening story--and the metaphor works for me.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am also in the "he is too old" camp. I would rather see John in his late 20's early 30's.

Retired

I know they say they want to do LETHAL WEAPON, but I would rather they did TRAINING DAY. However, with John being the young new recruit and Sinestro as the senior Lantern who takes him under his wing and trains him on Korugar. Essentially EMERALD DAWN but with John taking the place of Hal. Setting it mostly on Korugar would allow them to build a fantasy world. The movie would end with Sinestro being drummed out of the Corps but setting out to destroy them; while Katma Tui is chosen as his replacement.

Maybe Idris Elba could play Sinestro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Maybe we should change the term from Angry Black Man to Woke Person of Colour.
    I like that.

In any event, you could achieve that kind of mindset with John if he came from a different country, but it might look different depending on the nation in question and how they handle various social issues; primarily race relations.

I also think it's a fairly minor trait for the modern depiction of John. He's more defined by "duty" than being "woke" these days, and has been for many years. However, that anger at a unbalanced world? The indignation and desire to build something better? That was there when the character was born, and it's still there, deep in the foundations. And I'd want that to be considered by a movie team just as I would want Superman's early social crusader elements considered for a Superman film.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I know they say they want to do LETHAL WEAPON.
    Actually, if that was ever accurate, it probably isn't anymore.

Johns recently said the film will be a complete reimagining, and will be a lot more than just Hal and John. And that it will please fans who liked his GL run.

As for Elba - great actor for almost any role. He can play a 35-year-old. Always go for the right actor, vs. the right "look".

Extraordinary Member

I personally think Idris would make a much better Blade for Marvel. Blade is British.

As younger actors go, I kinda like Justin Cornwell from "Training Day" as John (not the most imaginative casting, but there you go... )

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    As younger actors go, I kinda like Justin Cornwell from "Training Day" as John (not the most imaginative casting, but there you go... )
    I can dig it!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can dig it!

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Ugh. I still hate that Johns retconned Stewart's origin to make him more like the cartoon/JLU version. I much more prefer the square, introspective architect that listened to Barbara Streisand and would rather concentrate on his architectural work than flying through space over the Marine retcon. Now that the 2 different versions have been "smushed together" (for lack of a better term) writers seem to have trouble reconciling the 2 different versions and seem to only focus on one characterization or the other (making the character almost seem to have 2 different personalities at times)

I also liked that he was the only Earth GL to reach Guardian-hood as the "Master Builder" before they/DC took that all away from John with Emerald Twilight.
    The square, introspective architect was a retcon also. Nowhere in John's character prior to GL: Mosaic is it shown that he didn't feel like the "right" kind of Black person or that he liked Barbara Streisand. It was like Jones was so afraid of writing a confident Black character that he felt the need to dilute him and make him more acceptable to white readers. Just yet another mistake made with that character. That was one of the things I didn't like with Mosaic as good as it was and the more I reread it as I get older the harder it is to ignore. I have issues with the marine origin as well but John was better fleshed out and his background as a Black man figured more into how the character was written which was nice to see.

On some level it looked like Van Jensen wanted to bring back the social conscious aspects of John with the Zero Year and origin issues he wrote but nothing seems to have come of it since then which is a shame.

I’m English, so I’m no judge, but reviews suggested at the time that Idris Elba’s American accent in the Wire was very good (not always true of Dominic West’s apparently ) So that aspect is covered, unless that’s wrong.

In the days when a 56 year old Tom Cruise is still running maniacally in action movies, 50 is the new 40. It’s amazing how much things have changed over the last 50 years. William Hartnell when he played Doctor Who was younger than Cruise...

Mighty Member

Default Idris Stewart or John Elba?

He's too old. Morris Chestnut all the way.

Would that even be possible? I was under the impression that Disney does not allow MCU actors to play DCEU roles (or even any Superhero role?).

Retired

Djimon Honsou is going to be in the AQUAMAN movie, the Marvel CAPTAIN MARVEL movie and the DC Captain Marvel movie (aka SHAZAM!)--plus he was the voice of T'Challa in the BLACK PANTHER animated series. So there seem to be exceptions to the rule. Maybe it depends on how big is the part and how big is the show.

However, I think that Marvel's live action BLACK PANTHER movie has tied up a lot of actors that could have otherwise been considered for the John Stewart part.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    - making him British isn't a good look.
    Christopher Nolan made Batman British in his trilogy and nobody noticed.

Zack Snyder made Superman British.

The MCU made Dr. Strange, Wong, Klaue, Shuri, Spider-Man, the Vision, and Nebula British.

And Oliver Stone made Nixon British...