Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How would you fix Hippoltya and the Amazons ?

Now we have seen many different ideas for the amazons. I honestly didn’t think the whole them being rapists, murders and baby killers made them interesting because yes they should be flawed but doing that feels like your just going for shock value. Now if some amazons were doing that and the rest didn’t know fine. But you have to make the amazons diverse in opinions and behavior. That’s what makes the Banas and the Paradise Islanders different.

BANNED

Is there anything connected to Wonder Woman that isn't getting a fix-me thread?

While I agree the rapist murder Amazons thing was awful, is that even relevant anymore? Rucka undid it. And Fontana, Robinson, & Orlando have done nothing to suggest it is still a thing. Honestly while I have versions of the Amazons from past runs I enjoyed more, I don't really think they need fixing at the moment

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Is there anything connected to Wonder Woman that isn't getting a fix-me thread?
    Ask DC XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    While I agree the rapist murder Amazons thing was awful, is that even relevant anymore? Rucka undid it. And Fontana, Robinson, & Orlando have done nothing to suggest it is still a thing. Honestly while I have versions of the Amazons from past runs I enjoyed more, I don't really think they need fixing at the moment
    At this point, it feels a bit like "New52" Lobo.

While I'd imagine there are a few folk focusing on if that needs to be "Fixed", it's probably "Fixed" enough for your average reader.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I would make it an editorial mandate to strictly prohibit secret love children being introduced through Hippolyta across the board, unless for an out of continuity elseworld.

Just say no to misogynistic writers. (Note: not all men are misogynists, and there are women who are misogynists.)

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Go back to Marston's version of Amazon and Hippolyta, a society with advanced Magic and technology. It is sad when Wakanda and Atlantis have all this while Themyscira is still living stone age. ( I am talking about the movie of course)
    Hippolyta having an affair with Zeus have to be noncanon. Diana's clay origin celebrating motherhood have to brought back instead of generic Zeus bastard child.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 08-06-2018 at 06:38 AM.

Yea they should stop making the amazons Stone Age. Now , even in Marston’s they did use swords and shields for fighting I find it more and guns are more of fun and learning skill. I would go with Earton ones designs with the guns and ships. Now I wouldn’t mind if the amazons did have children due to the sex pirates but they wouldn’t kill the men. Now if we had a few amazons who wen that route okay. Okay with that out of the way what should make the amazons flawed? Some of them shouldn’t trued men. But what should make her flawed as humans?

To continue on a bit, the Amazons aren't stone age even in late depictions, they're more iron age with a complex society (given their size and lack of ongoing outside contact).

I had little against the movie depiction of Amazon society, because to me they have a different background than Wakanda does, or the Atlanteans of Aquaman, given their direct and strong mythic connections. As long as they are shown as a healthy society that is well-adapted to their needs, I'm fine. To be frank, I had more trouble with that they were depicted as a monarchy than I had with their relative lack of technology, but at the same time I was aware that they only had little time to set up and show Amazon society. (The monarchy grated a lot more in Black Panther.)

Also, I don't understand why one has to go out of the way to make Amazon society flawed? It's intended as an utopic background for Diana to grow up in, and that she chooses to give up. That can still leave plenty of scope for stories, because you can still depict the Amazons as people with all the prejudices, quirks, personal animosities, and idiosyncracies that all of us have. Just like Gail Simone did with "The Circle": she examined the Amazon society and built a story around the fissures and tensions such a society would face.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    To continue on a bit, the Amazons aren't stone age even in late depictions, they're more iron age with a complex society (given their size and lack of ongoing outside contact).

I had little against the movie depiction of Amazon society, because to me they have a different background than Wakanda does, or the Atlanteans of Aquaman, given their direct and strong mythic connections. As long as they are shown as a healthy society that is well-adapted to their needs, I'm fine. To be frank, I had more trouble with that they were depicted as a monarchy than I had with their relative lack of technology, but at the same time I was aware that they only had little time to set up and show Amazon society. (The monarchy grated a lot more in Black Panther.)

Also, I don't understand why one has to go out of the way to make Amazon society flawed? It's intended as an utopic background for Diana to grow up in, and that she chooses to give up. That can still leave plenty of scope for stories, because you can still depict the Amazons as people with all the prejudices, quirks, personal animosities, and idiosyncracies that all of us have. Just like Gail Simone did with "The Circle": she examined the Amazon society and built a story around the fissures and tensions such a society would face.
    Isn't a utopic society by definition not flawed?

Nope, The Amazons either make babies from Clay or adopt orphaned children. What if they give birth to Boy child? It gets messy. Discrimination against a male child is not something relatable. In Asia, millions of Girl children are aborted because of the preference for a male child.

There are plenty of other ways to make Amazon flawed other than sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Isn't a utopic society by definition not flawed?
    It depends on who you ask; one dictionary I have say "an imagined society where everything is perfect", but Wikipedia gives the less strict "an imagined community or society that possesss highly desirable or nearly perfect qualities for its citizens". I'd also say that there is a difference between "flawed" and "has flaws" in this context. Azzarello set out to make a flawed society when he made the Amazons into rapist murderers who traded their sons for weapons. Simone set out to find and explore the fissures and tensions that would emerge in Amazon society given their history and background, and built a story around that.

Marston set out to create a utopia in the first definition. Simone took that and created an Amazon society built on the second. Azzarello took it and built a dystopia masquerading as a utopia. That's part of what makes his run fundamentally misogynistic, because he could not imagine women building their own healthy society.

Themyscira in the movie felt bland. They could easily spy outside using Magic like Athena's eye like in comics. Why were there no creatures like Pegasus and other greek Roman creatures. If they are mythical they should look mythical and powerful instead of living in caves and ruines. Amazons should have powerful magical weapons instead of just bows and Arrows.

Themyscira in the movie felt bland. They could easily spy outside using Magic like Athena's eye like in comics. Why were there no creatures like Pegasus and other greek Roman creatures. If they are mythical they should look mythical and powerful instead of living in caves and ruines. Amazons should have powerful magical weapons instead of just bows and Arrows.