Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Red and X-23! My two favorite books these days

New Mutants Dead Souls

Thanks everybody!! Looks like X-Men Red and the Astonishing new stuff are the winners and will definitely be picking up.. plus a whole lot of other good x-men stuff to tempt me while at the LCS! Cheers.

Don't know. But X-Men: Red is by far the worst. Characterization is awful and so is the story. And if X-23 counts, it's tied or very close. X-23 is still out of character and saddled with quite possibly, the worst character in comics today. The first several issues of Gold were decent. But they blew it with the wedding stuff. You can't build up to something and then go "JUST KIDDING." Plus, the last couple issues after were not good. Blue is decent when it isn't the horrible time displaced alternate O5. When they're included, it's no good. OML is good for what it is. I'm not a fan of that incarnation and world, but if you like that, you'll like it. Astonishing has been meh IMO. Nothing's really happened so far, so you don't have a lot to judge. But I didn't like that Beast was cynical as he has been lately and talked about most of his teeth being fake (Beast has a healing factor that should grow them back). Also Dazzler wearing a wig instead of having her real hair grown back is annoying. Multiple Man is just kind of weird. And not in a good way. Plus, I want to read a book about the real Jamie. Not a dupe.

I really hope Marvel doesn't blow it on Uncanny. When it comes to the Black books, I will pick up Magneto. Don't know about the others.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I read four of the titles.

Astonishing has my vote with the new Roster starting at issue #13. So far I like the team dynamics.

Red reads the most like a classic X-Book. I can see why people like it. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find the series overall boring

I wanted to like Blue because of the roster, but I'm not liking the book's direction.

Gold...I gave it several tries. Bottom of the list. Its to the point where I'd be ok of the entire series was never canon.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 08-07-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Don't know. But X-Men: Red is by far the worst. Characterization is awful and so is the story. And if X-23 counts, it's tied or very close. X-23 is still out of character and saddled with quite possibly, the worst character in comics today. The first several issues of Gold were decent. But they blew it with the wedding stuff. You can't build up to something and then go "JUST KIDDING." Plus, the last couple issues after were not good. Blue is decent when it isn't the horrible time displaced alternate O5. When they're included, it's no good. OML is good for what it is. I'm not a fan of that incarnation and world, but if you like that, you'll like it. Astonishing has been meh IMO. Nothing's really happened so far, so you don't have a lot to judge. But I didn't like that Beast was cynical as he has been lately and talked about most of his teeth being fake (Beast has a healing factor that should grow them back). Also Dazzler wearing a wig instead of having her real hair grown back is annoying. Multiple Man is just kind of weird. And not in a good way. Plus, I want to read a book about the real Jamie. Not a dupe.

I really hope Marvel doesn't blow it on Uncanny. When it comes to the Black books, I will pick up Magneto. Don't know about the others.
    I'm with you 100% here. Sadly, Taylor's overt political agenda mirroring the real world have ruined good storytelling. The X-Men can and have stood up on their own as diversified heroes fighting a world that fears them without beating us over the head with amped up real-world far-left rhetoric. I mean, Jean Grey in the annual insinuating to the reader that if your politics don't align with your parents then stop listening to them because they are idiots really pisses me right off. Blatant anti-family propaganda. One should respect one's parents, even if you disagree with them.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

IMO Gold went to crap after the Mojo X-over and Bunn's Blue story suffers because he never knows when Marvel makes up their minds with what to do with the O5.
    Soule's Astonishing was the equivalent of being lured into the back of a van by someone with candy. I'll give Rosenberg a chance but I still remember being disappointed with Jean Resurrection and Punisher.

X-Men Black should've been a rotating roster book in terms of creative teams and rosters. Marvel chasing that #1 money again.

In other news, I liked the X-Men Wakanda Forever tie-in.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

IMO Gold went to crap after the Mojo X-over and Bunn's Blue story suffers because he never knows when Marvel makes up their minds with what to do with the O5.
    Soule's Astonishing was the equivalent of being lured into the back of a van by someone with candy. I'll give Rosenberg a chance but I still remember being disappointed with Jean Resurrection and Punisher.

X-Men Black should've been a rotating roster book in terms of creative teams and rosters. Marvel chasing that #1 money again.

In other news, I liked the X-Men Wakanda Forever tie-in.

X-men: Red and X23 make me genuinely excited to go to the comic book store whenever they come out. The high-quality writing and art on these books let them do character defining work and tell stories that will pass the test of time. Gold and Blue will be a mostly forgotten blip in the radar. I also really like New Mutants: Dead Souls and Mr. and Mrs. X

X-Men Red (soooooooo good!)
    Astonishing X-Men (loved the last two issues)
    Mr. & Mrs. X (totally surprised how good the first issue was)
    X-Men Blue (pretty good except for the absolutely awful Venom crossover)

But honestly pretty much ALL of the X-Men related books are better than X-Men Gold. It's shocking how bad it continues to be. None of the characters seem in character. None of the bad guys are worth a damn. None of the plots have been interesting. Please just end it already. End it and give us a new Excaliber title done by a better creative team. Pretty please.
    Last edited by M@Bowers2014; 08-07-2018 at 12:57 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    I'm with you 100% here. Sadly, Taylor's overt political agenda mirroring the real world have ruined good storytelling. The X-Men can and have stood up on their own as diversified heroes fighting a world that fears them without beating us over the head with amped up real-world far-left rhetoric. I mean, Jean Grey in the annual insinuating to the reader that if your politics don't align with your parents then stop listening to them because they are idiots really pisses me right off. Blatant anti-family propaganda. One should respect one's parents, even if you disagree with them.
    Lol the only thing this post is missing is the pepe meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Lol the only thing this post is missing is the pepe meme.
    It's funny that aligning with the political left was mentioned, because that's exactly what ANAD did that launched the franchise to popularity.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Yeah - comics, and especially the X-Men, are incredibly liberal leaning. I don't understand where the complaints about that come from lmfao
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I'd say Domino and X-23 are the best currently running X-books overall right now; both have a strong focus on character that still leave room for wider thematic thought, great art across the board, and are funny whilst riding the razor's edge that lets you still get away with actual dramatic stakes. Of course, they're both solo books with limited support casts and Domino especially has been happily playing outside the mutant playground, so if you're after an 'X-Men' experience they might not do it for you.

Astonishing had a dragged-out first volume with mostly great art but little else to recommend. The new run has had a promising start and Matt Rosenberg has a neat handle on his cast, though of course he's also got Greg Land arting the thing. There's a tendency around these parts to cut Land some slack, seemingly because he's been around long enough that we're not expected to notice his deficiencies anymore. Me, I remember how I used to walk 5 miles a day to and from work with ingrown toenails on both feet; sure, I 'got used to it' but it's not like I grew to enjoy it. Same goes for Land. If I'm less vocal about his crap than before, it's only because I can only make the same complaints so many times before I get bored and keep the annoyance to myself. Suffice it to say he does nothing to elevate Rosenberg's work and there are few artists I wouldn't pick over him on this title. But he'll likely be gone before halfway through the arc so whatever.

X-Men Red is the best of the three 'colour' books, although given Gold's general worthlessness and Blue's unwillingness to use its own primary cast effectively, that's kinda damning with faint praise. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Taylor, the pace has been slow to a fault and I continue to be irritated whenever we're forced to pretend Namor is a mutant (nope), but it's making a conscious effort to focus on classic X-Men themes of xenophobia and unity-by-otherness, and applying those themes in a way that's modern-day relevant and not a direct retread of something famous from 30+ years ago. That wins it a lot of points.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

I'd say it's Blue. Don't get me wrong, Red and Astonishing have been great even with just a few issues. I'd recommend Blue because it's been by far the most stable book, with quality ranging from decent to very good. It's also wrapping up soon, so, despite the bumps caused by Extermination and Uncanny coming out of nowhere, you have 36 issues of a storyline as complete as it can be at Marvel nowadays.