Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CryoFlar3 View Post
    Just got back from a screening and can confirm that the movie is great.
    Any criticisms?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    Any criticisms?
    Not without nit picking and those nitpicks would be kinda spoilery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Aw man, a Spider-Man book tackling timely topics like immigration? EPIC FAIL. We've gotta take it back to the good old days of Stan and John where their ASM looked at racism in the workplace, drug addiction, college campus protests, and the poor conditions of the prison system from the perspective of minorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    None of which got in the way of a good story. Unlike now.
    When people complain about Marvel delving into social issues and either say that they didn't used to do it or that when they did do it, back in Stan's day, it was done subtly either have not actually read old school '60s and '70s Marvel or have read it long ago and forgotten what it was actually like.

Stan was very on the nose when it came to social issues and made no bones about where he, and Marvel as a whole, stood on the issues of the day. When I re-read those old issues, I'm often shocked at how blatant the soap boxing can be. When people complain that it "gets in the way of the story" today, I have to roll my eyes because nothing in the books today is anywhere near as nakedly political as what made it in back in the late '60s/early '70s.

I think because a lot of what Stan and others talked about in the books back then is so widely agreed on now that we can't imagine anyone reading those books to be offended. But that's only because society has evolved (in some areas, at least) since then. At the time, though, many readers of the day were every bit as incensed by what they perceived as inappropriate political content intruding on their funny books.

It's why Marvel received letters like this:

tumblr_stan.jpg

What Ahmed's Miles book will be like is yet to be known but if he injects some political or social commentary into it, it would simply be following a Marvel tradition.

Astonishing Member

Place me as one of the few that would love to see Miles and Spider Gwen get together, they've been together in so many different mediums it's crazy that it hasn't happened yet lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Place me as one of the few that would love to see Miles and Spider Gwen get together, they've been together in so many different mediums it's crazy that it hasn't happened yet lol.
    It did happen...then they decided it was better to just be friends.

Astonishing Member

It did happen...then they decided it was better to just be friends.
    Not really, it was mostly just a tease (which was why I hated the series since it was a complete bait and switch.) The entire series was them being introduced to each other, trying to figure out what happened, they come across a universe where they are actually married and celebrities with kids, they give one kiss and then decide a "let's not force this just because we're married in another universe." and went to let's be friends for now approach.

It was a ridiculous sour spot as they pushed this entire media push of them going to be a romantic pairing, just for them to back out at that last moment. It reminded me of the stupidity DC did with Batman and Catwoman's marriage.

So yeah, there's tons of chemistry there, no one just seems willing to pull the trigger, which is a common problem when it comes to comic books.

BANNED

So yeah, there's tons of chemistry there.
    I don't see any to be honest.

Astonishing Member

I don't see any to be honest.
    Well that's your opinion, I see ton of chemistry, especially with the teasing they did during the actual mini series. The fact that they were actually married in a different universe pretty much hammer that idea over the head. But of course, marvel wasn't ready to pull the trigger.

BANNED

Well that's your opinion, I see ton of chemistry, especially with the teasing they did during the actual mini series. The fact that they were actually married in a different universe pretty much hammer that idea over the head
    That just hammered "forced for the sake of drama" to me.

Astonishing Member

That just hammered "forced for the sake of drama" to me.
    Well you obviously don't like the pairing so it makes sense why you see it as forced. But ultimately, they wanted to tread the line while not pulling the trigger. while still lay the groundwork so if/when they decided to take that leap they can.

I honestly don't see the comics making the first decision though, them making that step would probably be initiated by either a cartoon pairing or movie pairing before they decided to bring it to the comics.

I honestly don't see the comics making the first decision though, them making that step would probably be initiated by either a cartoon pairing or movie pairing before they decided to bring it to the comics.
    The cartoons haven't done much with the pairing but I think the movie seems to have a found a clever way to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to that relationship.

Is anyone picking up the Spider-Geddon Handbook? I'm curious about what it has about Miles, but not curious enough about the others to buy it.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Is anyone picking up the Spider-Geddon Handbook? I'm curious about what it has about Miles, but not curious enough about the others to buy it.
    The handbook finally confirms that when Miles and the others was transported from the Ultimate Universe to the prime earth, that they didn't retain their memories of living in a different universe. Only Miles have vague memories, like Rio "almost" getting killed by Venom.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

That's interesting, does it have any other fun facts or is it basically just physical traits and backstory?

BANNED

To be fair, the handbooks are written by promoted superfans.