Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

I think the bullying thing depends on how it's handled. I don't expect Ahmed to throw in Flash 2.0.

It actually might be sensible to have a character who's more like MCU Flash.

Ultimate Member

Miles technically has a "bully" Judge depending on how Bendis writes him.

We do know Judge has had some choice words about Miles that other students have heard.

He does know Miles's other ID or assume something is going on between him and Ganke.

So a bully/rival is already there. Now all you need is some venom goo.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Miles technically has a "bully" Judge depending on how Bendis writes him.

We do know Judge has had some choice words about Miles that other students have heard.

He does know Miles's other ID or assume something is going on between him and Ganke.

So a bully/rival is already there. Now all you need is some venom goo.
    I dunno, my reading of Judge is more standoffish and annoyed then any kind of bully or rival.

If anyone is interested Marvel interview Ahmed and there is an exact release date of December twelfth two days before the movie.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=56830633

Miles Morales is swinging into a new series of his own this December -- and he'll have some heavy hitters to tell the next part of his story! Eisner Award-winning writer Saladin Ahmed (BLACK BOLT) and Marvel Young Gun artist Javier Garrón (ANT-MAN AND THE WASP) will team up for MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN this winter. Issue #1 will go on sale Wednesday, December 12, so there's a lot of time to get excited about Miles' new Spidey story!

In MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN, we will find our teenage Super Hero navigating his superpowered responsibilities as well as his personal ones. Much like the way we first met Peter Parker as he balanced his own dual roles, Ahmed and Garrón will present Miles as a regular teen and street-level hero. But things won't stay quiet in his Brooklyn neighborhood for long -- a bunch of mysterious criminals, including Rhino, start showing up to cause a ruckus, meaning Miles will have to suit up to defend his city.

Marvel.com spoke with Ahmed and Garrón to get a sense of what's coming up for Miles Morales and his future as Spider-Man.

Marvel.com: It looks like Miles will be dealing with one of the most relatable and human parts of being Spider-Man: balancing his hero life with his teen life. How difficult will you be making this for Miles for this book?

Saladin Ahmed: I love adult Peter dealing with adult troubles -- just wrote an AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL about that! But Spider-Man is, in his essential origins, a teenage hero. And Miles will be that Spider-Man: facing threats against the neighborhood rather than the multiverse. Super Villains, yes, but also other threats that speak to our times. He'll be doing that while also trying to while dealing with bullies, assistant principals, and canceled teen dates. It's going to be hard! Part of what we love about Spider-Man is all the crap he goes through. And Miles will be dealing with some dark realities of our modern world. But I also want this book to have a bright thread running through it, because what we really love about Spider-Man is that he keeps us smiling no matter how grim things seem.

Marvel.com: Miles Morales has had a big impact on the Marvel Universe. What goes into how you create his look and the tone of the book?

Javier Garrón: Miles is essential in the Marvel Universe! I felt a bit like Spider-Man himself when I was offered the series. It's a great power but it comes with great responsibility! Miles is the future... but now! You must portray him as the vital character he is in the great design of the Marvel Universe and at the same time keep him human, actual, and relatable as the icon of hope he is too. Spider-Man has always been the most incredible fantasy grounded in the most real world. You have this guy with real problems, set in a real city in the present, with the most amazing powers, villains and adventures. You must hit both notes and that's what we're set to do here.

Marvel.com: Will any of his fellow heroes be showing up to lend a hand (that you can tell us without spoiling too much)?

Saladin Ahmed: Yes! One of Marvel's biggest heroes (not Peter Parker FWIW) will be a major guest star in the first arc. And looking past that,the question of how Miles as the relatively new kid navigates the Marvel Universe's world of living legends is a really rich one, and I'm looking forward to exploring it through guest stars and team-ups.

Marvel.com: Miles was created by Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli. How has their work inspired you, and are you taking any specific cues from them?

Javier Garrón: It's essential! When I'm working I always have a pile of comics by my side with inspiration and reference, and their comics are there at the top of the pile. I'm not aiming to do the same, I couldn't do it even if I tried, but the Miles Morales everybody loves and adores, the hero everyone looks up to, is theirs. Bendis wrote the entirety of the main series and Pichelli is not only one of my favorite artists, she is the cornerstone is visual terms of the character. I'm trying to breath that spirit they infused in Miles and carry it to the next step in the Marvel Universe. That's the epic side of the approach, but Pichelli always kept Miles himself and the world around him cool, fresh, of the moment. The clothes and hairstyles, the art direction, the lighting and tone must steel feel very connected with the world we live in. Pichelli is also a master of facial and body expression, one of the best there is designing epic shots and dynamic action sequences, and my firm intention is to live by all those rules.

Marvel.com: Saladin, what are your thoughts on writing for a character who has made such an impact on the Spider-Man universe? (And following up Bendis et al?)

Saladin Ahmed: Bendis has the following he does for a reason. His writing was one of the things that brought me back to Super Hero comics after years away, so I suppose there's some intimidation factor. But here as elsewhere in the Marvel Universe, I just try to respect the work of those who came before me while still putting my own stamp on these characters. Marvel stories are built from layers -- other creators had to help define Peter Parker further after Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, or we wouldn't have the Spider-Man we love today!

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So, any takers on who the guest star is going to be in the first arc? It's not Pete and I doubt it'll be Iron Man.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    So, any takers on who the guest star is going to be in the first arc? It's not Pete and I doubt it'll be Iron Man.
    Cap? Miles has never really interacted with the actual Steve Rogers Captain America and Ahmed wrote him in Black Bolt.

Good call. He was an Avenger alongside Falcon Cap, and there was that business in Civil War II and Secret Empire with Hydra Cap, but yeah, he's not interacted with Classic Cap.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Damn, I wasn't worried about it when I first read it, but y'all got me worried about the handling of bullies now.

It's worth some concern, if handled poorly it could come off not only as cliche but as a poor attempt at imitating Peter's school life and Miles really doesn't need anything people could use to call him a Peter clone.

I'm also curious what kind of variants we could be looking at because as has been said the one we have so far isn't great.

And I have no idea who the first hero cameo could be, but the Captain America theory is a pretty strong guess and would be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    In one of the interviews Ahmed mentioned bullies and no thank you, I don't want Miles or his friends to be bullied let's stop trying to make him similar to Peter ...now if they constantly get into arguments/fights with a group of bullies b/c they see them terrorizing kids then ok but actually bullied ...no thank you.

But we shall see what he means, I do like that he'll be bringing in Judge and Bombshell and not ignoring them, maybe he'll make Miles and Lana a thing and give Miles girlfriend from Spider-men 2 to Judge lol, or give Miles a new girlfriend who's well developed and make Judge and Lana a thing lol. All I ask is that Ganke keeps his girlfriend b/c he deserves love too.
    I completely agree, not a fan of the bully thing either
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Someone mentioned a rival and I like that idea, a rival character can have good tension with Miles as any regular bully can, a rival can dislike Miles, be an obstacle, they can team up etc, basically you can have the same storyline as you would with a bully character without the obvious differences.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Actually, speaking of bullying, I kind of always had this headcanon that Miles would be the victim of rumors. He got accepted into Brooklyn Vision Academy via Lottery and can be flaky in classes due to his double life. I could easily see some of his classmates or even faculty viewing him as a "charity case" who doesn't deserve to go to the school with them.
    Hmm, you know I always assumed that b/c it was a charter school that other kids were possibly raffled as well depending on location. Kind of like how LeBron James I Promise school selected it's students from different areas.

Idk much about charter schools except that their goverment funded and that they can act independently from state schools but I think you can probably get away with being a bully in public schools or private schools (since the parents pay) but goverment funded schools ...idk seems riskier since the school would make sure that that the goverment doesn't have any excuse to pull away their fund.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

A rival character is a really good idea, you can have tension without having a character that basically just exists to be hated.

And you're right I can't see bullying flying over well at a school like Brooklyn Visions, especially since students live on campus.

BANNED

First look at interior art on Miles Morales: Spider-Man

Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-18-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    First look at interior art on Miles Morales: Spider-Man

NOICE!

Curious on who they're going to get for a colorist. Also lets hope they make the soles of the costume's feet red. I can definitely seeing that becoming a thing.

I also hope to see Miles experimenting with his new energy webbing and venom strike.

Here's the solicit for the new #1

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #1
    SALADIN AHMED (W) • JAVIER GARRÓN (A)
    Cover by BRIAN STELFREEZE
    VARIANT COVER BY JAVIER GARRON
    VARIANT COVER BY ELIZABETH TORQUE
    FANTASTIC FOUR VILLAINS VARIANT COVER BY MARKO DJURDJEVIC
    ANIMATION VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    Balancing his normal life, school, parents, etc…and super-heroing has never been easy, but when the Rhino and a cadre of mysterious criminals start plaguing Brooklyn, things take a dark turn. And Miles doesn’t even know the half of it yet. Eisner Award-winner Saladin Ahmed (BLACK BOLT) and Young Gun Javier Garrón (ANT-MAN & THE WASP) bring you the latest incarnation of the coolest character in the Marvel Universe!