Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Yeah between this and Spiderverse it seems Miles is meant to be more cool and social. Which funnier because in the game and recent cartoon they go for a more nerdy direction.
    Also yay for finally getting Tombstone vs Miles
    And in the comics he was much more awkward, at least from what I remember of his personality when he first started out.

This even extended to him as Spider-Man since he wasn't the rapid-fire quipper the original Spider-Man was.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

One element I hope that does get explored though is closer look into the idea that Miles got into the school thanks to a scholarship lottery. There's been little nibblet's of Miles being the target of rumors thanks to how flaky he seemingly is thanks to living his double life. That annual that came out in September even touched on his anxiety of getting into the school the way he did. If he's going to have conflict with other students or teachers I imagine that is going to be the source of it.

Miles is a bright kid but he's got to fight against the stigma that he doesn't deserve to go to the school.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

What are you all's thoughts about this:
    https://www.cbr.com/miles-morales-ot...team-up-comic/
    Some good points are made and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy their interactions and grudging respect of each other. In the interview Ahmed even said the trait he's most interested in is Miles' decency, so I could see that playing a major part in their interactions. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the occasional tea up or a mini.
    Last edited by Dragonick; 12-11-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Some good points are made and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy their interactions and grudging respect of each other. In the interview Ahmed even said the trait he's most interested in is Miles' decency, so I could see that playing a major part in their interactions. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the occasional tea up or a mini.
    Personally I'd rather see Doc Ock in a jail cell then in a team-up book with Miles.

But I don't know. I think Miles deserves to call himself Spider-Man 10x more then Otto does.

An idea I had was, Arnim Zola or maybe some other sleeper Hydra agent, ends up targeting Anna Maria. Otto with his back into a corner, much like that last arc of Superior, reaches out to Miles for assistance since he doesn't have the baggage with him that he does with Peter.

Would be a way to explore Otto's current tight-rope with being a "good guy" since his pragmatism tends to bite back at him just as much as it gives him the effective results he wants.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And in the comics he was much more awkward, at least from what I remember of his personality when he first started out.

This even extended to him as Spider-Man since he wasn't the rapid-fire quipper the original Spider-Man was.
    Agreed, one of the best elements Bendis had about Miles was that he was the first writer (IMO) to write a convincing introverted character. So it seems weird to flip it around and make him more social and extraverted.

I don't think Saladin was being literally in the sense that Miles is going to suddenly be a social butterfly. I think the comparison is moreso that Miles actually has a social circle in high school while Pete literally had no friends.

-----

First issue was pretty solid. If I had any complaint it's that it felt like it should've been a Supersized issue considering how much content ended up being crammed into it. Miles' brief tussle with Rhino was really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    An idea I had was, Arnim Zola or maybe some other sleeper Hydra agent, ends up targeting Anna Maria. Otto with his back into a corner, much like that last arc of Superior, reaches out to Miles for assistance since he doesn't have the baggage with him that he does with Peter.

Would be a way to explore Otto's current tight-rope with being a "good guy" since his pragmatism tends to bite back at him just as much as it gives him the effective results he wants.
    That sounds like something I could get behind, not too complex of a premise so it wouldn't drag on.
    I don't think Saladin was being literally in the sense that Miles is going to suddenly be a social butterfly. I think the comparison is moreso that Miles actually has a social circle in high school while Pete literally had no friends.

-----

First issue was pretty solid. If I had any complaint it's that it felt like it should've been a Supersized issue considering how much content ended up being crammed into it. Miles' brief tussle with Rhino was really cool.
    That's the only problem I had with it, if I really had to say anything. First issue was pretty good, I really liked the art and have no complaints about how anyone's written.

Issue 1 - not a bad start at all! Oddly enough...

spoilers:
    ...I found myself enjoying the scenes of Miles in his everyday life more engaging than the Spider-Man action. Kudos to Ahmed for leveraging Miles' supporting cast - I already like seeing Judge as more of a supporting character (nicely taking over the "friend role" in this issue for what would have usually been Ganke) and having Barbara create a very nuanced "question mark" over their relationship status (and Miles trying to figure that out). After the last two series debuts, I was relieved to finally not have Peter show up! I enjoyed the inclusion of Rhino (and him not being a total bad guy) and am hoping that the timely immigrant mystery ties into a new villain for Miles to call his own. I'll never be onboard with announcing the venom sting, but at least Ahmed showed Miles a little winded after using it. I'm all for balancing it out.

I like the new character designs (especially Miles and Ganke getting new hairstyles), but was surprised that Rio looked off and practically unrecognizable to my eyes during the "Saturday Morning" scene. Background scenery was beautiful - I especially loved the "date" (or was it?) by the Brooklyn Bridge and agree with Miles on the merits of that particular ice cream place (Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory if you're ever in town)...
    end of spoilers

A strong debut with a lot of promise (and I have a lot of faith in Ahmed's potential for taking Miles in exciting new directions), but I'm at the point with comics (not just Miles) where I'll be trade waiting going forward.
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

I liked that line about Miles never being more sure of his power, but being confused about his responsibility. I'm curious about where that feeling comes from exactly, as it seems rather new, but I look forward to it being explored. The only really major thing that's happened to him has been Spider-Geddon so maybe something happens there?
    Last edited by Dragonick; 12-12-2018 at 01:56 PM.

I liked that line about Miles never being more sure of his power, but being confused about his responsibility. I'm curious about where that feeling comes from exactly, as it seems rather new, but I look forward to it being explored. The only really major thing that's happened to him has been Spider-Geddon so maybe something happens there?
    It's one of those things where he as much as he can save lives, there's still people suffering in his neighborhood that he can't help, like that line he saw formed around the homeless shelter, or how Barbara's uncle got deported.

Ultimate Member

One element I hope that does get explored though is closer look into the idea that Miles got into the school thanks to a scholarship lottery. There's been little nibblet's of Miles being the target of rumors thanks to how flaky he seemingly is thanks to living his double life. That annual that came out in September even touched on his anxiety of getting into the school the way he did. If he's going to have conflict with other students or teachers I imagine that is going to be the source of it.

Miles is a bright kid but he's got to fight against the stigma that he doesn't deserve to go to the school.
    He can be mad about it but if his school goes by charter school laws-they have to have a LOTTERY. To get public funding.

The issue with Mile's school is we never get into how and why it is around or how its funded. Why are the kids housed there?

That alone would be a mini series by itself. I could give you 50 different ways that story could go based on the laws that I know from dealing with charters schools.

Teachers don't have to be unionized and disabled/Special Education kids can be excluded. In other words you can have a story where Nightshade is a teacher or Cardiac tries to take out the school for not accepting his special needs nephew (if he had one).

BANNED

Nice start. Very solid. I liked that it didn't come out guns blazing. It's just a mostly low key start, giving a nice feel for Miles and his supporting cast and his world.

And I liked that the fight at the end was not stereotypical, that there was a twist as to the villain's involvement.

Spectacular Member

First issue that came out today is very cool. I’m really interested in seeing what Saladin does with Rhino. Very interesting stuff at the end.

So Critics Choice Awards nomination huh ...pretty cool that this spider-verse movie keeps getting nominated.

Edit: lord did I just say SAG awards I meant Critic'ss Choice Awards ...so many award shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Davis wouldn't be a middle name, it'd be part of a double barreled surname. And in fact, would likely go at the end of his name, considering Morales is actually Rio's name, not Jefferson's. Usually kids only have mother's maiden name if the father isn't around (one night stand, rape, split up before the birth and didn't maintain contact, anything like that), so Miles being called Morales is actually rather odd.

Bleeding Cool review of #1 - there are spoilers!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12...-man-1-review/
    No I meant literally using his father's name as a middle name not as part of a surname.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-12-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer