Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

This looks phenomenal! Man bun Ganke...I might be swooning! ;-)
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

Miles is looking like a bodybuilder here.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

So Miles now has a middle name . And Ganke now has a Man bun. Saladin Ahmed already putting his stamp on things.
    And a new Ultimate Alliance was announced hope to see him there too

Variant cover for issue #2 by Sana Takeda

Read the preview I like what I'm seeing.

Sorry if I missed these earlier, but look at these beautiful variants for issue #1:

https://www.midtowncomics.com/store/...r-Man+_1785089
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!

That middle name is ...something, Miles middle name should have been Davis tbh.

Also kind of related but it was/is nice to see Bendis so happy about his characters making it on the big screen, first Maria Hill, then Miles Morales, and now Ronin.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Davis wouldn't be a middle name, it'd be part of a double barreled surname. And in fact, would likely go at the end of his name, considering Morales is actually Rio's name, not Jefferson's. Usually kids only have mother's maiden name if the father isn't around (one night stand, rape, split up before the birth and didn't maintain contact, anything like that), so Miles being called Morales is actually rather odd.

Bleeding Cool review of #1 - there are spoilers!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12...-man-1-review/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

If you want a review and don't want to be spoiled here's a non-spoiler review
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...class-heroism/

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Davis wouldn't be a middle name, it'd be part of a double barreled surname. And in fact, would likely go at the end of his name, considering Morales is actually Rio's name, not Jefferson's. Usually kids only have mother's maiden name if the father isn't around (one night stand, rape, split up before the birth and didn't maintain contact, anything like that), so Miles being called Morales is actually rather odd.
    Bendis sowed the seeds about the name rationale in the Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man run, but Jason Reynolds took the idea and made it work.

Having gone down a darker path during his younger days with Aaron, Jefferson credits Rio with helping him turn his life around. When their son was born, Jefferson was determined to prevent him from making the same mistakes that he'd made. He didn't want to burden his kid with the Davis name and so Miles got his mom's last name.

Plus, as Ganke points out in the novel, his name would then be Miles Davis!

On an interesting side note, I believe that it was an honest oversight on Bendis' part, but the name "Jefferson Davis" has a historical connotation that makes it an extremely surprising and unfortunate choice for an AA character. Again, it's clearly an innocent slip but still unfortunate.

Easily fixable. Why not just have him shorten his first name, to Jeff?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeArentVenom View Post

Lots of interesting takeaways there. Down for Judge being more central to the cast moving forward.

Love that Saladin mentioned that Tombstone will be one of the future rogues that Miles will be dealing with. Because of the Spectacular cartoon, I always liked the idea of Tombstone becoming Miles' "Kingpin-esque" Big Bad of sorts, especially since he doesn't get used much in comics anyway.

He also mentioned that Miles' relationship status is kind of all there with Barbara. Apparently someone who flirted with Miles is making a return. I'm guessing he was referring to Tomoe there.

Also this little tidbit:

His decency. It sounds like something we almost take for granted with superheroes. Miles is a really cool guy. He's popular and dresses nice, but at the same time he's a really kind and selfless person.

I don't want to say that's a contrast, but we're very used to seeing superheroes who are sort of nerdy and misunderstood, and they find their empathy through that. I think Miles is a different kind of hero, though, in terms of personality. It's a lot of fun to write him.
    I know Saladin mentioned in the past that part of Miles' school life will be him dealing with bullies. I'm starting to think it's not Miles himself who's going to get picked on, but maybe one of friends or some new character. Would put a new spin on that classic Spider-man dynamic.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 12-11-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by WeArentVenom View Post
    I feel like you start to see more of this in some of the clips that have been released for the movie, but teen Miles does seem to be more popular and much more of a people person then Peter was.

(Although pre-Secret Wars Miles was all kinds of awkward).

So I guess Aaron is back to being a villain again?

Rhino looks really disheveled in that art there. I wonder if that's intentional.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Love that Saladin mentioned that Tombstone will be one of the future rogues that Miles will be dealing with. Because of the Spectacular cartoon, I always liked the idea of Tombstone becoming Miles' "Kingpin-esque" Big Bad of sorts, especially since he doesn't get used much in comics anyway.
    I've been wanting to Miles face off against Tombstone for a while. Good synergy since he's also in the movie .

Apparently someone who flirted with Miles is making a return. I'm guessing he was referring to Tomoe there.
    My first thought was Bombshell and Kamala, actually. Tomoe seemed...interested but it didn't really come across as overt flirting to me.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Yeah between this and Spiderverse it seems Miles is meant to be more cool and social. Which funnier because in the game and recent cartoon they go for a more nerdy direction.
    Also yay for finally getting Tombstone vs Miles