Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

That's actually not possible. Secret Invasion never happened in 1610 - in fact, I don't think the Skrulls even existed - weren't the Chitauri originally substitutes before their use in the MCU caused the two races to co-exist in 616?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I was thinking the same thing, but who knows. Something else I thought about since Miles was around at least since Secret Invasion that means we could get flashback stories about what he was doing during the different events that have happened since then.

Also the new book has to be announced during Spider-Geddon. Considering we know it's coming back, we didn't get anything in the annual, and it's been said he'll play a bigger role in the event. I do have to wonder how big a role he'll play considering Otto and Gwen were also said to play a big part in the event and their books already got announced.
    Last edited by Dragonick; 08-08-2018 at 10:57 AM.

BANNED

If Miles' story is going anywhere, Marvel really need to clarify his origin. For a lot of (and I think probably most of) his fans, Miles' best stories so far were the ones in 1610. Not knowing the extent to which those stories are canon really makes it difficult to connect to the character we're reading now. It was weird reading the Annual and not knowing where to place the story.

On the plus side, the writing for the Annual was a big step up from Bendis. And the art was pretty nifty too. The makeshift costume was much better looking than the one used in Miles' first appearance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    If Miles' story is going anywhere, Marvel really need to clarify his origin. For a lot of (and I think probably most of) his fans, Miles' best stories so far were the ones in 1610. Not knowing the extent to which those stories are canon really makes it difficult to connect to the character we're reading now. It was weird reading the Annual and not knowing where to place the story.

On the plus side, the writing for the Annual was a big step up from Bendis. And the art was pretty nifty too. The makeshift costume was much better looking than the one used in Miles' first appearance.
    I really hope this gets cleared up. I like the story and what it was going for but for a pretty big continuity issue to be our first sorry for this guy makes me nervous he didnt do his full research on miles, the ultimate universe etc. there was no secret invasion in UU, Thor never looked like that in that universe. I guess I judst have fears of continuity issues we had with bendis. I don’t want them to strip the ultimate universe away from miles that to me who grew up reading the UU and read all the stories in that universe would feel we would be at a loss good stories. Stripping that away you basically have just a cookie cutter spider powered guy. I don’t want him to become another peter and suddenly giving him an uncle Ben type mentor and Then the end result makes me worried tht could happen. Overall I liked miles written here than how bendis has been since bringing miles over to the main. Universe I felt he didn’t know what to do. I’m Optimistic for hill I just hope they don’t try to do flashbacks to confuse People

Yeah, he says it's set in 1610, but the solicit (which would've been done by editorial) and the fact Skrulls are involved, plus Thor's design, means it's clearly 616. Hill apparently doesn't understand the multiverse stuff.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Editor Chris Robinson talks about the continuity on Twitter here he basically says the 1610 stories happened but adapted for 616 and the specifics will be revealed in time.

Incredible Member

I’m pretty sure Bendis even addressed this even more recently last year in spider-men 2 about how Miles remembers being transplanted. I’m pretty sure he and Peter even talk about it. Why are they needlessly complicating things? He and his family and friends were transplanted into another universe during a multiverse event as a reward for his generosity of a cheeseburger! Just focus on stories that don’t deal with flashbacks and you won’t have these issues. His stories shouldn’t be adapted for 616 because he’s from a whole other universe. This just creates the whole problem of “oh does miles have 2 sets of memories from his 1610 life and fake memories of 616” I really hope this doesn’t continue it’ll just make reading miles extremely complicated. I’m not sure why this is bugging me so much may be because I’ve read miles since day one and trying to merge his history into past 616 seems like it’s taking away from him and will severely over complicate things. Bad move in my opinion.

What next, are they going to say that Miles and Bombshell formed a new Young Avengers lineup with Cloak and Dagger before Miles moved on to the ANAD Avengers? That would be awkward as the 616 counterparts of the other two All-New/Young Ultimates, Jessica Drew and Kitty Pryde, aren't teens in 616.

As awkward as it all is I'm actually super fascinated in how they're going to explain it. Are there going to be flashback issues or maybe backup stories or maybe even current stories that are effected by the adapted past events. I know not everyone will be happy about this news but seeing how it all fits together is pretty cool to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Editor Chris Robinson talks about the continuity on Twitter here he basically says the 1610 stories happened but adapted for 616 and the specifics will be revealed in time.
    CM Punk really wasn't kidding about Marvel and continuity these days

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So it looks like they're going the OMD route of retconning it. Honestly, this all goes back to Bendis dragging his feet with actually addressing the issue outright in the first place.

I've always been of the opinion that if they weren't going to reboot Miles entirely after Secret Wars, then they were going to need to retcon aspects of his backstory because frankly him strictly being a Universe Transplant was never going to make sense. It wasn't just Miles, but his family, supporting cast, and school also magically transplanting to one universe to another. You can't just move all of it over and then go "oh, it doesn't matter, it's all canon" because it breaks logic if none of the other characters also remember the old Universe.

This isn't my preferred method of addressing it, but I do think it's the necessary evil.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

I don't know if this has ever been confirmed, but it seemed to me like the reason they kept Miles' backstory so vague at the beginning was because Marvel wanted to make it as easy for newcomers to jump into Miles' book without the Ultimate baggage. But by the time Bendis decides to do Spider-Men II, even bringing back the Ultimate Universe, and STILL keeping the nature of Miles' backstory vague, then that's his problem. And now with the Annual, sounds like not even the creators know exactly what his situation is.

I do wish they can just sit down and write some kind of story so all this continuity and backstory confusion can be resolved, so Miles can continue getting good stories without being dragged down by the vagueness.

That would make sense, I can't imagine a lot of people wanting the first issues sorting out trans-dimensional weirdness. I do trust what the editor says though and the next writer ,whoever they are, will make it clear. Hopefully not all at once though as that would be tedious.

From the artist calling himself Wizyakuza

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grimm911; 08-10-2018 at 09:41 AM.

I love seeing stills of the movie ,Entertainment Weekly released this one today which looks like Peter vs Prowler