Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    That's my point, it seems like every other arc Arthur loses the crown or is thrown out of Atlantis.
    That is the catch 22 of having a hero or villain be the leader of a nation. It only works if they are not used every month because it limits storytelling if the character has to always be around to govern their people. At this point I would be happy if Aquaman was never the king again and was just the protector of Atlantis and seas. Same with Namor over at Marvel. It just gets boring with the constant "gets the crown, loses the crown, get the crown back" cycle.

I would rather see Aquaman abolish the monarchy once and for all and just set up a ruling council made up of all the different races under the sea with each citystate having a governor the reported to the council. Make the council up of members of the normal Atlantis/Poseidonis folk, the merfolk of Tritonis, the blue skinned folk of Lemuria, the manta people of Hy-Brasil, the dark skinned people of Tiapallan, the green skined barbarians of Marrzon, the magic users of Thierna Na Oge, someone from Noble's grey skinned people, and whatever other small city states exist under the sea. Having all the different races under the seas having to interact all the time could create just as much political intrigue without the constant "fight for the crown" stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    man was a teeny bit later...

what was the name of the following season of super friends? was it super powers?
    I believe there was a Super Powers cartoon but I think the next season was called Challenge of the Super Friends, which co-starred The Legion Of Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is the catch 22 of having a hero or villain be the leader of a nation. It only works if they are not used every month because it limits storytelling if the character has to always be around to govern their people. At this point I would be happy if Aquaman was never the king again and was just the protector of Atlantis and seas. Same with Namor over at Marvel. It just gets boring with the constant "gets the crown, loses the crown, get the crown back" cycle.

I would rather see Aquaman abolish the monarchy once and for all and just set up a ruling council made up of all the different races under the sea with each citystate having a governor the reported to the council. Make the council up of members of the normal Atlantis/Poseidonis folk, the merfolk of Tritonis, the blue skinned folk of Lemuria, the manta people of Hy-Brasil, the dark skinned people of Tiapallan, the green skined barbarians of Marrzon, the magic users of Thierna Na Oge, someone from Noble's grey skinned people, and whatever other small city states exist under the sea. Having all the different races under the seas having to interact all the time could create just as much political intrigue without the constant "fight for the crown" stories.
    But a part of what makes those characters cool and is an essential part of them is their status as a king and ruler, so I don't think it could ever be something you could permanently do away with.

from More Fun Comics #77 (March 1942):

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

It's only a catch 22 if the writer is being lazy and reusing old ideas.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

We really don't have many stories of Aquaman just being the head of state and running things in Atlantis. That's what I want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    We really don't have many stories of Aquaman just being the head of state and running things in Atlantis. That's what I want to see.
    That's the kind of stuff I want to see too. Explore what Atlantis is like, give identity to the people, etc. I really think the Aquaman movie will do wonders for this angle, yeah he's getting the crown but everyone will be hyped for his rule.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But a part of what makes those characters cool and is an essential part of them is their status as a king and ruler, so I don't think it could ever be something you could permanently do away with.
    In the USA, maybe. For us Europeans, a hereditary monarch is simply another dictator, and holds much less romantic appeal.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    That's the kind of stuff I want to see too. Explore what Atlantis is like, give identity to the people, etc. I really think the Aquaman movie will do wonders for this angle, yeah he's getting the crown but everyone will be hyped for his rule.
    This is what really grabbed me during Abnett's rebirth run. While I've been enjoying the ride throughout, that was the point I fell in love with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    In the USA, maybe. For us Europeans, a hereditary monarch is simply another dictator, and holds much less romantic appeal.
    I guess Black Panther or Aquaman probably aren't too popular in Europe...

No idea if this is a legit ad or not (probably not), but it should be true

FB_IMG_1536467275453.jpg

https://ew.com/books/2018/09/17/kell...comic-preview/

I'm not really feeling it. I haven't read anything yet that's making me look forward to her run on Aquaman. Not a fan of the memory loss either.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post

I'm not really feeling it. I haven't read anything yet that's making me look forward to her run on Aquaman. Not a fan of the memory loss either.
    I’ll get the first arc. If I don’t like it I’ll drop it after that.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Damn, as much as I hate everything I've read about the new direction for Arthur, that art is making me second guess sitting out. Maybe one issue. I'll leaf through it at my lcs to discren if I want to take a shot on another amnesiac relaunch that goes back to an iteration I don't care for.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post

I don't know much about Led Zeppelin, so that doesn't really do anything for me .

Blonde guy with a hammer and beard? Is DeConnick trying to write Thor ?

Is the woman at the end Mera?