Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I think the more likely reason they gave it to KSD is for a fresh perspective and because she's friends with Bendis.
    Sure but KSD is c-list at best. And for her run to coincide with the movie while not emphasizing the mythology you see in the movie and all the previous runs (ex. Atlantis, politics and Arthur being the connection between the sea and land), I think speaks to DC wanting to get away from all that stuff and DC/WB not having much confidence in anything related to the movie.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 12-16-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Sure but KSD is c-list at best. And for her run to coincide with the movie while not emphasizing the mythology you see in the movie and all the previous runs (ex. Atlantis, politics and Arthur being the connection between the sea and land), I think speaks to DC wanting to get away from all that stuff and DC/WB not having much confidence in anything related to the movie.
    I mean, she's not necessarily a sales juggernaut but she's a pretty reknowned author, especially with female readers, so I wouldn't call her "c-list."

I think it's still early to say exactly what DeConnick is going to emphasize with her run but the amnesia stuff seems to be leading into a "Fresh Start" as far as re-establishing Aquaman to readers for the new run.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, she's not necessarily a sales juggernaut but she's a pretty reknowned author, especially with female readers, so I wouldn't call her "c-list."

I think it's still early to say exactly what DeConnick is going to emphasize with her run but the amnesia stuff seems to be leading into a "Fresh Start" as far as re-establishing Aquaman to readers for the new run.
    A new perspective isn't bad per se, but there's rumblings of a new origin for Arthur and his son of land and sea origin is so perfect I'd hate to see it changed. I know my initial reactions were "don't want this amnesia stuff," especially given what's happening in Nightwing, but I'm still going to give KSD an arc to sell me. Robson Rocha's art certainly greased the wheels there!

I really got into him back in the mid 2000s when I picked up some old Showcase Aquaman volumes. That silver age run where Mera is introduced hooked me and I've been a fan ever since. The hook hand never really worked for me, nor the beard or more gruff persona. At that time, I imagined that version of the character and his supporting cast were going to fade from public memory as a joke. Fast forward to today and Aquaman's books have been solid since his revival, sans the Cullen Bunn arc, so frankly even if her run isn't good, it's been a wonderful time to be an Aquaman (and Mera) fan! We're even getting a movie with costumes that may as well have jumped off those old Nick Cardy and Ramona Fradon illustrated pages.

As negative as I can be sometimes, it's still kind of amazing when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    A new perspective isn't bad per se, but there's rumblings of a new origin for Arthur and his son of land and sea origin is so perfect I'd hate to see it changed. I know my initial reactions were "don't want this amnesia stuff," especially given what's happening in Nightwing, but I'm still going to give KSD an arc to sell me. Robson Rocha's art certainly greased the wheels there!

I really got into him back in the mid 2000s when I picked up some old Showcase Aquaman volumes. That silver age run where Mera is introduced hooked me and I've been a fan ever since. The hook hand never really worked for me, nor the beard or more gruff persona. At that time, I imagined that version of the character and his supporting cast were going to fade from public memory as a joke. Fast forward to today and Aquaman's books have been solid since his revival, sans the Cullen Bunn arc, so frankly even if her run isn't good, it's been a wonderful time to be an Aquaman (and Mera) fan! We're even getting a movie with costumes that may as well have jumped off those old Nick Cardy and Ramona Fradon illustrated pages.

As negative as I can be sometimes, it's still kind of amazing when you think about it.

I just saw the movie. It's my movie of the year, and as a fan of Arthur, I'm so damned happy to say it !

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    A superhero riding a creative wave in the comics leading to a long-awaited solo feature film that could change their status forever.

Aquaman in 2018?

Nope (or not yet, at least).

I'm referring to Batman in 1989.

And Green Lantern in 2011.

And Wonder Woman in 2017.

3 times in the past, we've seen similar scenarios unfolding, with different results each time.

Batman's Moment in 1989, with a blockbuster movie, elevated him to DC's new Omega (The Alpha of Alphas) Hero, a position he has held for almost 30 years now.

Green Lantern's Moment in 2011, with a turd of a movie, squandered most of a massive creative wave in the comics for the GL franchise, but still got him a solo animated series and in an overall decent spot, but he could have legit challenged the Bat for DC supremacy had his movie been successful.

Wonder Woman's Moment in 2017, with a blockbuster movie, was not supported by a large enough creative wave in the comics, and hasn't gotten even a 2nd ongoing title or solo animated series out of her movie's success.

So, what do you think will happen with Aquaman's moment in 2018? Is there a large enough creative wave in his comics to support a potential blockbuster movie for a sustained elevated status at DC?

Will Aquaman overall improve a bit as GL did (despite his movie's failure)? Will he actually regress a bit as Wonder Woman (despite her movie being a success)?

Or ... could he get both creative comix wave AND blockbuster movie like Batman did?

I honestly have no idea. Do you?
    TPTB at DC did not seem interested in WW movies success. They did a Darkseid War follow on rather than focus on her. They are quite mad

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved it so much I'm actually going to try and see the film again this week. I hardly ever go to the cinema to see something twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I completely agree on all fronts, man.

The film took the crummy Aquaman we got in JL and turned him into proper Aquaman fairly quick... just as the comics are taking proper Aquaman and reverting him backwards. Seems wrongheaded. With the success of the film, they should be building off all the wonderful material from Johns, Parker, and Abnett.

I liked the first issue of KSD Aquaman. Interesting story, great art. I’m sure Arthur and Mera will reunite by the end of this arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I liked the first issue of KSD Aquaman. Interesting story, great art. I’m sure Arthur and Mera will reunite by the end of this arc.
    Agreed. I actually really enjoyed this first issue. I wasn’t too sold in the amnesiac angle but the way KSD is building the mystery of the people in the island and the horror aspects of Namma are really doing it for me. This feel like a great way for The Trench to show back up. Namma having her own little monstrous horde of them would be awesome.

The art rocks too.

Going to see the film tomorrow! Super pumped!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Solid first issue and I'm interested to see where KSD goes with this. So far the amnesia hasn't been as frustrating as I dreaded, but we'll see what's done with it. Hopefully he and Mera reunite be the end of the arc.

Enough can't be said about how lovely Rocha's artwork is for this stuff. I remember DeConnick remarking that she thinks of her work in terms of music with her Aquaman run being akin to Led Zeppelin and his pencils certainly complement that. Although I prefer my Aquaman clean-shaven, he sells the beard when most artists couldn't make it work for me.

Looking forward to seeing what this creative team has in store for us, and that's coming from someone who groaned and considered dropping the book because I generally hate amnesia being the opening salvo to a run.

Between this and the movie tomorrow, it's a great week to be an Aquafan.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-20-2018 at 01:10 AM.

Anyone think this was a dream? Felt really surreal and purposefully vague. I liked the atmosphere a lot. Would be cool to see the Trench come into play here, and some more weird stuff upcoming.

I only hope Mera comes back as the co-star quickly, I already miss her.

Extraordinary Member

who knew he would save the DCU

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I see Amazon has Aquaman by Peter David volume 3 up for preorder already. It is listed coming out in Aug 2019.

"Mr. Wayne, I don't feel so good".