Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Glen Weldon discusses the way Aquaman has developed and changed over the times, with a focus on media depictions.

Some of us (hi!), might miss the old, fish-cop do-gooder, but that doesn't mean the newest incarnation of the Sea King is any less legitimate, any less "real," than the one we grew up with. Whether we love or hate Aquaman the film, or Momoa's ... ah, full-throated portrayal ("Wooooooooo! AwRIIIIIGHT!"), our Aquaman hasn't gone anywhere. He's still out there somewhere, astride his giant seahorse Storm, summoning a sea turtle to hurl itself against a hole in Atlantis' dome, or some similarly silly aquatic endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Anyone think this was a dream? Felt really surreal and purposefully vague. I liked the atmosphere a lot. Would be cool to see the Trench come into play here, and some more weird stuff upcoming.

I only hope Mera comes back as the co-star quickly, I already miss her.
    Mera is one of the things I had a major problem with, when AQUAMAN was revived in the '52. Mera and the focus on Atlantis is why I dropped the new series, after a few issues. I'm going to check this out, now...see how I like it, with Arthur on his own, again.

A second Golden Age for AQUAMAN ..and Peter David to thank for it!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-21-2018 at 02:15 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Saw the movie last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Momoa's performance left a lot to be desired but there were a few golden moments with him that made me feel like if they toned down his...Momoa-ness a bit in the next movie it could be even better. The film was at its absolute best during the underwater and action scenes.

The March solicit for Aquaman sounds good. This Namma woman seems really interesting and I'm she becomes a big part of Arthur's rogue. I'm also hoping with all of the mysticism that KSD was talking about for this run we get to see a return of Lady of the Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Saw the movie last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Momoa's performance left a lot to be desired but there were a few golden moments with him that made me feel like if they toned down his...Momoa-ness a bit in the next movie it could be even better. The film was at its absolute best during the underwater and action scenes.

The March solicit for Aquaman sounds good. This Namma woman seems really interesting and I'm she becomes a big part of Arthur's rogue. I'm also hoping with all of the mysticism that KSD was talking about for this run we get to see a return of Lady of the Lake.
    I think that one of Wan's biggest accomplishments in the film was how good Mamoa and Heard come off.

The Aquaman film was great guys. Fans will not be disappointed!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I think that one of Wan's biggest accomplishments in the film was how good Mamoa and Heard come off.
    I haven't seen the movie yet but people can't seem to decide whether Momoa or Heard had any actual chemistry, but that's sometimes a very subjective thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I feel his best moments were definitely in the second half of the film. I had so many cringe moments with him in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I haven't seen the movie yet but people can't seem to decide whether Momoa or Heard had any actual chemistry, but that's sometimes a very subjective thing.
    During one of the big battles towards the end they have a moment that fell completely flat for me. I know she did that interview where she said Momoa was ripping pages out of her books that she was actively reading so I wonder if they didn't get along as much on set as they made it seem.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

There's a moment in the middle of the film that works for them but later on there's one that doesn't and arguably needed to. It's hit-and-miss.

I'll chime in to say, however, that I really enjoyed the movie and Wan has a ton of fun with the source material while respecting it. Much like WW, it felt a lot more honest with respect to the character's history than previous efforts. Toning down the dudebro elements to Arthur as the film progressed and giving him a bit more to work with really helped win me over.

Liked the new direction in the Aquaman comic. Also I really enjoyed the movie. DCEU is doing pretty good with the solo movies.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

It's wooden throughout the first part of the movie and I have to think that's kinda "honest" because they don't know nor trust each other and are brought together only out of mutual necessity.

However, as the movie goes on the interactions between both of them get so much better and they sell it well. It was never a major issue for me.

As an Aquarius I thoroughly enjoyed Aquaman, it was perfect to me. I wouldn't change a thing, it was the best DC movie since Superman II.

The only problem was we came out the theater craving seafood but it was too late to get it.

MiComic

Aquaman is the best for me this year, DC really made my end of year special with this movie.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Mera is one of the things I had a major problem with, when AQUAMAN was revived in the '52. Mera and the focus on Atlantis is why I dropped the new series, after a few issues. I'm going to check this out, now...see how I like it, with Arthur on his own, again.

A second Golden Age for AQUAMAN ..and Peter David to thank for it!
    I love reading Golden Age Aquaman stuff, but as for modern works? I couldn't care less about an Aquaman who didn't have Mera or Atlantis. That's the best parts of the mythos. The film really showcases all that, too so I think it's here to stay.

Mera honestly should have her own book, to run alongside AQUAMAN.

The Peter David run has got to be my least favorite flavor of Aquaman, though I like Atlantis Chronicles quite a bit.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-22-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Just saw Aquaman.

spoilers:
    Surprised they got through with both parents alive. I guess both or either are fair game for sequels, but it's a refreshing change.
    end of spoilers

This is true, but the impact of the lack of connection is minimized by Wan's choices, stuffing it to the brim, and moving briskly