BANNED

Default Fantastic Four 337

This Simonson run has always been one of my favorites, but I was reading the new reprint of 337 and noticed for the first time that the book is dedicated to Howard Chaykin. Anyone know what the connection is other than Simonson and Chaykin are old friends?

Ruben

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    This Simonson run has always been one of my favorites, but I was reading the new reprint of 337 and noticed for the first time that the book is dedicated to Howard Chaykin. Anyone know what the connection is other than Simonson and Chaykin are old friends?

Ruben
    According to Wikipedia, they knew each other when Simonson was starting out in the comic industry. They also shared an apartment with others at one point.

From the wiki article: At one point Simonson lived in the same Queens apartment building as artists Allen Milgrom, Howard Chaykin and Bernie Wrightson. Simonson recalls, "We'd get together at 3 a.m. They'd come up and we'd have popcorn and sit around and talk about whatever a 26, 27 and 20-year-old guys talk about. Our art, TV, you name it. I pretty much knew at the time, 'These are the good ole days.'"[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Simonson

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    According to Wikipedia, they knew each other when Simonson was starting out in the comic industry. They also shared an apartment with others at one point.

From the wiki article: At one point Simonson lived in the same Queens apartment building as artists Allen Milgrom, Howard Chaykin and Bernie Wrightson. Simonson recalls, "We'd get together at 3 a.m. They'd come up and we'd have popcorn and sit around and talk about whatever a 26, 27 and 20-year-old guys talk about. Our art, TV, you name it. I pretty much knew at the time, 'These are the good ole days.'"[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Simonson
    One can't depend on Wikipedea for any information

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    One can't depend on Wikipedea for any information
    Cool. Great contribution to the thread.

The wiki link in my post has citations and a link to the original quote by Walt Simonson in an article about Bernie Wrightson.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html
    Last edited by Rincewind; 08-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.

The wiki link in my post has citations and a link to the original quote by Walt Simonson in an article about Bernie Wrightson.

It's true that the four of us lived in the same building in Queens (Rego Park) for about a year. Allen and I were roommates, Howard lived in a single apt on the same floor (the fourth), and Berni lived on the second floor in the same apt line as Howard. This was in about 1974/75.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Simonson View Post
    It's true that the four of us lived in the same building in Queens (Rego Park) for about a year. Allen and I were roommates, Howard lived in a single apt on the same floor (the fourth), and Berni lived on the second floor in the same apt line as Howard. This was in about 1974/75.
    Is it also true that your "Doctor of Flash" dedication is a shout-out and general cheerleading cry for Chaykin's involvement in the recently launched Flash TV show?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Is it also true that your "Doctor of Flash" dedication is a shout-out and general cheerleading cry for Chaykin's involvement in the recently launched Flash TV show?
    I think that was just a tip of the hat to Howard, not anything to do with the Flash TV show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    That would make sense though although why publish that? All those New Yorkers were a tight little group at that time. It is really not great that they moved to LA.

BANNED

I think that was just a tip of the hat to Howard, not anything to do with the Flash TV show.
    You would know Walt!

BANNED

The loss of Wrightson is a tremendous loss for the entire community. I am verey bumbed about this.

BANNED

Howard is making a tell all book book now!

https://imagecomics.com/comics/relea...-kids-comics-1

BANNED

In the interviews they have given many times that have often mentioned living in the same building for a number of years and they are no doubt friends. I was sort of wondering why here and now though.

My favorite interview is Gil Kane, Simeonson and Chaykin on the topic of the potental for comics to become hire forms of art. It was printed in tcj somewhere.

I miss Gil Kane as well.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

So cool to see that Walt Simonson still visits this board

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So cool to see that Walt Simonson still visits this board
    and Steven Harris