BANNED

Default Should Harley Quinn exists outside animation ?

Forgive me for saying this and I hate to admit it, but Walking Dead Writer Robert Kirkland has a point in trying to keep the Walking Dead worlds separated.

Which brings me to this: Harley Quinn came from animation and since then became a popular character in the Batman myth los, but my question is shouldn’t she stay within the DC animation projects only and not branch out into comics ?

As fans of the character what do you think of this ?

Montoya also came from animation. Where characters come from doesn't matter, what DC does with them matters.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

She's considerably more popular than the majority of the Bat-Characters who originated in the comics.

It would never make sense to not include her in the comics.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

No she should not and her popularity outside of animation really answers your question. She is thriving outside of animation it would be stupid of DC not to meet the demands of the market.

Nothing good would come of keeping Harley out of the comics.

She's been a staple of the printed page for twenty years and is more popular than almost any other character DC has, including most of the Big 7. All that would happen if they removed her is DC would lose a lot of money and her fans would have fewer books to buy from DC.

I understand some fans don't like her. And some fans don't like her current status quo and want her to remain what she was when she first appeared. Those fans are simply sh*t outta luck. But the bright side is that they don't have to read her ongoing or her mini's and she doesn't appear in the main Bat-titles very often now (though Elseworlds like White Knight and Dark Prince Charming are another matter). Non-fans can largely avoid her if they want to.

There's nothing to be gained from removing Harley, and plenty to earn by using her and continuing to build her up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

She should be used in the comics, but she is way over exposed and her use should be cut back.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by okiedokiewo View Post
    She should be used in the comics, but she is way over exposed and her use should be cut back.
    You say over exposed yet DC is meeting customer demands.
    Harley isn't over exposed she is just in very high demand.

Yes, but the version that we've been getting in recent years has been terrible because they eliminated the most essential part of her character (as well as her status as a villain) in order to make her the female version of modern Deadpool. This isn't Harley Quinn. She is not and should not be a heroic or antiheroic figure.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Incredible Member

It's interesting how you can feel the whole dynamic of the Batman universe shift slightly once Harley Quinn is introduced in No Man's Land. Honestly sometimes I feel it's not for the better. But, I'm okay with having her in the mythos and she's one of the characters who got me into comics. I am totally disinterested in DC's current take on her. Also, was Death of the Family her last appearance in the Batman comics proper? That's just sad.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Limiting the mythos to stuff solely created in the comics and ignoring additions from other media is dumb when those additions have potential.

So yes, she should exist outside animation.

If you want to limit yourself to stuff that only came from the comics and not outside media not only do we loose Harley Quinn, but we're left with a fat Alfred, a Riddler that doesn't wear suits, no Batcave (that came from the serials. Batman used to keep his Batmobile in a barn and just had an underground tunnel connecting it to Wayne Manor) and Mr Freeze ...

oh boy. Nothing anybody likes about Mr. Freeze came from the comics.
    The name came from the Adam West show (he was Mr. Zero before that)
    The idea that he used power armor came from the Superfrriends toyline
    and his origin came from the cartoon.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, I can't stand her in the animation, so if you ask me back then, my answer would be no.

Mainly because my annoyance with her came from her voice and that I don't think Joker should have a girlfriend, but in the comic Harley doesn't have a voice and she's not his girlfriend anymore, so I'm cool.

Then I became annoyed because she's everywhere, but I don't read anymore, so I'm back to a neutral state ^^

I think it would be a good way for DC to loose a lot of readers.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Montoya also came from animation. Where characters come from doesn't matter, what DC does with them matters.
    Livewire also came from animation and had also been incorporated into the comic books and live action.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    ...Harley Quinn came from animation and since then became a popular character in the Batman myth los, but my question is shouldn’t she stay within the DC animation projects only and not branch out into comics ?
    Only if from now on Batman sticks to comics and leaves animation and live action to characters created in those media.