Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I'm going to suggest something controversial; make her a hero for the transgender/non binary crowd. Plenty of women in the Bat verse (Barbara, Huntress, Catwoman) but not one that represents that crowd.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm going to suggest something controversial; make her a hero for the transgender/non binary crowd. Plenty of women in the Bat verse (Barbara, Huntress, Catwoman) but not one that represents that crowd.

I actually like that. It's a unique position.

Incredible Member

Not every character needs to be brought back, and made relevant again, as there are dozens, and Gotham is already polluted with too many characters calling themselves "Batman Family" already.

Batwoman and Bat-Girl could just stay in the fifties-seventies. Onyx and Orpheus could just stay in the noughties. Azrael should have stayed in the nineties. Many characters should have stayed in the nineties-noughties.

New 52 / rebirth reboots could have just kept it simple, with the most minimally required Batman, Robin, and Batgirl - but nooooo, bring back this fan cult favorite character, and bring back that fan cult favorite character, to over-saturate Gotham with dark heroes and vigilantes again, like before.

They should use her as Batgirl.

I realize that Betty by whatever name seems so unknown. But perspective can help. While they deep sixed her character in '61 or so . . .

by '64, they wanted another Batgirl. Only 3 years separate their fictional canon. So, to some degree anyone could say that about Babs too, especially since the latest one is not really the original (either, like Betty). Babs is now younger than Dick and certainly not a Masters in Library Science.

why not throw them all out and start over?

Because comic books - like Soap Operas - or other "serial" literature, are on going stories (even with ret cons or odd changes).

Comic book characters never grow old - Elton John said that in a song, so

it would be better if we had good ideas to give to DC rather than decide 'for them' that *we* (collective or not) dont' want.

Having said this, I am a friend of the current Batgirl writer, Scott. I 've known her since she was in her early teens (nearly 15 or so ago) and I'm prepared to take my case to her and ask her if she might find a way to use the character.

wish me luck, you never know.

I don't like this idea. But I've mentioned before the interesting idea about Bette's parents, her father, who may be Phillip Kane in this new continuity, or we don't know yet. But as a first cousin to Kate, most likely her father and Jacob are twins (or to me they could be)

Twins run in families, like Kate and Beth, so this would be not a stretch.

But some evidence shows that sometimes in same sex twins, one of them may be Gay.

So this is more interesting to me. Not that Betty's father is gay, but that as a twin, maybe, maybe he coerced his brother Jacob into fathering the child (unbeknownst to his actual wife).

So Bette and Kate would actually be sisters! But they don't know yet. Now that is soap opera drama that I would favor.

I am against letting characters fall by the wayside. Only to live on in fanfic.