Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What should DC Comics do about the ORIGINAL BAT-Girl ?

Regardless of how you feel about Barbara Gordon and her connection to the Batman Mythos, you can't forget that she isn't the first female to be called Batgirl. Which brings out the question: What can DC do with the ORIGINAL Bat-girl ?

Especially since what happen to the ORIGINAL BATWOMAN, which also surprised me how very little they have the current one connect with original one.

To anyone who knows of the character: What do you think of it ?

Both Bette Kane (as Flamebird) and Kathy Kane should be brought back. IMO, Kathy is Bruce's best love interest.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

dollparade.jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Oberon; 08-06-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Bat-girl, Bette - - Flamebird

is the unknown daughter of Jacob Kane, and therefore

Kate's half-sister as well.

Morrison's Kathy Webb-Kane is similar to the original Kathy Kane, but still too different for my liking. IMO, no Kanes should be related to Bruce. Best thing to do, IMO, is bring back the Kanes, change Kate's last name/have her be unrelated, and have none of them be related to Bruce.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

The cleanest way to deal with this is if DC brought back the pre-CoIE version of Earth-2.

On that Earth, Kathy Kane could go back to being the original version of Batwoman,

and "Betty" (not Bette) could have been Bat-Girl (with the hyphen) who eventually takes over the role of Batwoman. (As a matter of fact, didn't they try to put Bette on the temporarily reborn Earth-2 in Infinite Crisis?)

Use her to fill out Batwoman’s supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Use her to fill out Batwoman’s supporting cast.
    What "supporting cast"?

After this month, her series is finished (at least for now).

BATWOMAN #18
    It’s the series finale, and there’s a lot of drama to resolve for Kate Kane, both in and out of costume. As Batwoman, she teams with Renee Montoya to thwart Clock King’s latest time-bending enterprise: selling a drug that allows criminals to know if their crime will be successful—before it’s committed. But Batwoman’s facing a quandary to boot: Take this drug off the street, or use it herself to stop crime? The only fight tougher is the personal one: Should Kate and Renee give their relationship another chance?
    FINAL ISSUE
    On Sale Date: Aug 15 2018
    https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batw...17/batwoman-18

They’ll relaunch it.

Ugh.

Well, be that as it may, I wouldn't want anything to do with that. I believe, as intended, Kathy Webb is the woman who became the first Batwoman. She's just a bit different from her silver age persona.

And so is Bette Kane. Any look at using or revisioning either of them, or others with a pre Crisis persona, will have to make some concessions for the modern era.

That's why there *is* a Flamebird, who was the first Bat-girl.
    Another way of looking at this thread, is

would it be better for DC to acknowledge a pre-existing Bat/-/girl, at all -

or just go with the Bette Kane is somehow related to the Bat family and somehow chose a name that mirrors Dick as Nightwing.

New 52 has never did a major flashback or retelling of any of Bette's exploits prior to that, basic lip service. So that made her character totally malleable and useful for the first volume of Batwoman.

But besides her Silver age setting, there are also the post COIE stories, as well as the new 52. How to reconcile all this. I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    . . . New 52 has never did a major flashback or retelling of any of Bette's exploits prior to that, basic lip service.
    Actually, there was a major screw-up with Bette's back story towards the beginning of the New52.
    Early on, when Batwoman wanted to "demote" her due to a lack of experience, Bette shot back that she had already been a member of the Teen Titans. This took place in the individual issues story, before DC belatedly had announced a decision (in October 2011 I think) that there had never been any previous groups called the "Teen Titans".

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"What does she have that the current cast doesn't have" would be my question, before bringing her back. Then, what role would she fulfill? Will she be the same character as Flamebird/Hawkfire Bette Kane or separate?

When Batwoman Kate Kane was created she was meant to replaced Kathy, but then Morrison brought Kathy back and gave her a different role as a spymaster.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, there was a major screw-up with Bette's back story towards the beginning of the New52.
    Early on, when Batwoman wanted to "demote" her due to a lack of experience, Bette shot back that she had already been a member of the Teen Titans. This took place in the individual issues story, before DC belatedly had announced a decision (in October 2011 I think) that there had never been any previous groups called the "Teen Titans".
    They had iirc written these issues initially before the new 52, and than didn't adapted them for the new continuity.

When it comes to the current verision of Betty, I don't really see what she adds. She is very similar to Steph, and her joining West Point seems also not really fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They had iirc written these issues initially before the new 52, and than didn't adapted them for the new continuity.

When it comes to the current verision of Betty, I don't really see what she adds. She is very similar to Steph, and her joining West Point seems also not really fitting.
    Since Bette was first, it would be more truthful to say

That Steph is very similar to Bette. Kate is a military person and wants her cousin to have that kind of grounded training. And/or Uncle Jacob would want it too.