Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They had iirc written these issues initially before the new 52, and than didn't adapted them for the new continuity.

When it comes to the current verision of Betty, I don't really see what she adds. She is very similar to Steph, and her joining West Point seems also not really fitting.
    Since Bette was first, it would be more truthful to say

That Steph is very similar to Bette. Kate is a military person and wants her cousin to have that kind of grounded training. And/or Uncle Jacob would want it too.

They had iirc written these issues initially before the new 52, and than didn't adapted them for the new continuity.
    While they were initially written to be published before the New52, there were other titles written specifically for the New52 (like Teen Titans itself!) that had those references to previous versions of the team in the first issue or two. So I don't know if that slip in Batwoman was only because of when the story was originally written.

Thanks MajorHoy, and I knew this - I remember the original printing - and then hearing that it was altered in the TPB. My sense was that as Batwoman went into the new 52, the creators were going with the previous continuity in a way; suited their purposes for having Kate re-train Bette. I think there are other ways of looking at BW's first series as sorta stand-a-lone but within/unexplicit the new 52.

So, again, what to do. I had been hoping that Bette's new place or new appearance on the canvas would be springing from Rebirth.

Seemed like such a natural way to do it; if anyone has suffered more from a tattered continuity and MIA for maybe 10 years . . . .

that would be Bette (plus original Kathy Kane, but she got better, faster, firster, err, something)

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Thanks MajorHoy, and I knew this - I remember the original printing - and then hearing that it was altered in the TPB. My sense was that as Batwoman went into the new 52, the creators were going with the previous continuity in a way; suited their purposes for having Kate re-train Bette. I think there are other ways of looking at BW's first series as sorta stand-a-lone but within/unexplicit the new 52.

So, again, what to do. I had been hoping that Bette's new place or new appearance on the canvas would be springing from Rebirth.
    That's why, if they did bring back the old-school, before New52 version of "Earth-2", Betty's version of "Bat-Girl" could be part of that Earth, while on the "main" DC Earth they could focus on Bette having briefly started as Flamebird (and decide on that definitive backstory) and moving on to another identity. (Hopefully a better named one than "Hawkfire"?!?)

Extraordinary Member

Since Bette was first, it would be more truthful to say

That Steph is very similar to Bette.
    And technically both are similar to "Roberta the Girl Wonder", who predates Bette by a few years, but in the end of the day Steph is the best established character out of the three.

And technically both are similar to "Roberta the Girl Wonder", who predates Bette by a few years, but in the end of the day Steph is the best established character out of the three.
    From Star-Spangled Comics #103 (April 1950)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From Star-Spangled Comics #103 (April 1950)

Thanks to both of you.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who remembered Roberta.

I think she had a great look.

Yes, I knew of Roberta. I thought she only appeared once.

Steph just doesn't have any resonance for me, but I am, in fact an outlier.

Having read DC for many years I quit them in the '80s pretty much. Crisis changed tooooo many things for me to accept.

So I never read later Bat family titles with Steph, Cass or anyone.

Eventually I came across Teen Titans stories with Bette reimagined as Flamebird and these were interesting to me.

But when the new Batwoman series brought Bette in as her cousin, well I felt they did do a lot to *establish* her in Batwoman's world, which is not like Steph in Batman's world.

So I just don't care for most Batman characters. As much as Batwoman's cast.

"I came for Batwoman, I stayed for Bette"
    [and you don't get too many peeps out of me since DC, too, has willfully forgotten about "The Original Bat-girl"]

Steph just doesn't have any resonance for me, but I am, in fact an outlier.

Having read DC for many years I quit them in the '80s pretty much. Crisis changed tooooo many things for me to accept.

Eventually I came across Teen Titans stories with Bette reimagined as Flamebird and these were interesting to me.

But when the new Batwoman series brought Bette in as her cousin, well I felt they did do a lot to *establish* her in Batwoman's world, which is not like Steph in Batman's world.

So I just don't care for most Batman characters. As much as Batwoman's cast.

"I came for Batwoman, I stayed for Bette"
    [and you don't get too many peeps out of me since DC, too, has willfully forgotten about "The Original Bat-girl"]

I knew of her and had come across this before. It was in the '50s I think. Betty Bat-girl came along in '61 and had several appearances in the silver age.

Clearly they worked from the same design more or less, for Bat-girl. And yeah, though I've often said that Betty gives Dick his first on-panel kiss,

it is actually Roberta who did that.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Thanks to both of you.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who remembered Roberta.
    Actually, I had to look her up on the internet!

Though once I found the information, it did seem like I may have heard about her before.

This or ? servers are slow and / or messed up. If I tell the server I want to stay or leave the page, I seem to dupe the post, either way.

Sorry for that!

This or ? servers are slow and / or messed up. If I tell the server I want to stay or leave the page, I seem to dupe the post, either way.

Sorry for that!

. . . Having read DC for many years I quit them in the '80s pretty much. Crisis changed tooooo many things for me to accept.

I'm assuming you read the 1977 issues of Teen Titans where she appeared as "Bat-Girl"?
    (Though she still went by her original name "Betty" there.)

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, but Bette appeared also only 6 times in her original run in the early 60s (that are iirc less apearences that Ace and Bat-Mite had), her 3 appearences in the 70s Teen Titans were iirc also pretty minor.