Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SDCC LIVE: Image Expo Keynote Address

Image Comics Publisher Eric Stephenson is set to address San Diego, and CBR has the announcement-filled presentation covered live.

Full article here.

BANNED

Well, looks like Stephenson is at it again....(sigh)

I wonder if someday he will make some speech praising Image without putting down other publishers.
    Last edited by Andrew Eldritch; 07-23-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Eldritch View Post
    Well, looks like Stephenson is at it again....(sigh)

I wonder if someday he will make some speech praising Image without putting another publishers down.
    Doesn't seem likely. Strange, considering some prominent talent doing creator owned books still work on Big Two books. Basically poking at the Thor and Cap changes and then having Remender take the stage to talk about his Image books.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

I like image, Godland is one of the best cosmic books out there, but Stephenson really likes patting himself on the back. "Yay image, boo everything else."

Incredible Member

That doesn't make Stephenson wrong.

I would not be reading comic books if it weren't for the stuff Image is putting out. I was literally done with reading comics until I tried Velvet. Now I read 21 Image books and everything Valiant puts out. I also read Batman, Grayson, American Vampire, The Wake, and Fables.

He is absolutely right that the comic book industry will die without innovation. Image is clearly the front-runner for innovation in comic books. Innovation just plain does not exist at Marvel, and is fostered only by Vertigo at DC.

2015 is too far way...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post

I would not be reading comic books if it weren't for the stuff Image is putting out. I was literally done with reading comics until I tried Velvet. Now I read 21 Image books and everything Valiant puts out. I also read Batman, Grayson, American Vampire, The Wake, and Fables.

He is absolutely right that the comic book industry will die without innovation. Image is clearly the front-runner for innovation in comic books. Innovation just plain does not exist at Marvel, and is fostered only by Vertigo at DC.
    If we're talking about actual print books? Maybe.

Certainly. No one is arguing whether he is wrong or right. The argument is more that you can be "right" with class and professionalism, over using emotional potshots. It just seemed strange to basically call out the idea of a gender changed Thor and a replacement Cap when one of the guys behind the change is your first creator to take the stage. For the record, I too enjoy a bunch of Image books. Actually I prefer indie, creator owned books more these days. He just often comes across a bit nose in the air above it all. My favorite parts of this Image Expo, when the focus shifted to Image books and not what the other guys are doing wrong in his eyes.
    Last edited by GDC3; 07-23-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    Bronze Age baby.

Punchedugly.com

He's not wrong, but he doesn't need to throw shade. Everyone who knows comics knows that Image is putting out amazing books on a weekly basis, and he's speaking to a room full of people who are there specifically to hear what the new Image books are going to be. It sounds defensive, when there's no need to be. It's just "rah rah, no one is original except us at Image, how liberating is it to not draw that Batman dick anymore?" I mean "liberating?" really? I'm sure it's great to draw your own stuff, but no one drawing Batman is exactly hating life.

Fact is, comics is comics. Some people enjoy DC and Marvel no matter how stagnant they may be at times, there's no harm in that. Anyone reading comics is a good thing, and it opens the door for them to go to other publishers like Image.

Also, taking shots at licensed books? I mean, come on, comics are literally the only place where IPs like Firefly can continue, so what's the point of throwing those under the bus too? It's like picking on the guy who is just minding his own business.

Overall, there's just a feeling of defensive arrogance that's not needed. Just show the books, let them talk for themselves, because they most undoubtedly will. Taking shots at stuff potential customers may like doesn't help him or Image.

And lest we forget, one of the big reasons why Image is doing so well recently is because they're getting the big name recognition creators... and where did a lot of those big name recognition creators put out the work to allow them to gain such name recognition thus boosting Image's creator profile? Companies like Marvel and DC.
    Last edited by FHIZ; 07-23-2014 at 03:30 PM.

So far Tokyo Ghosts, Descender, and Invisible Republic have my interest.
    Bronze Age baby.

Punchedugly.com

Yeah, Tokyo Ghosts, Southern Cross and maybe Descender are what interest me. (Maybe on the last one because I haven't been a huge fan of Lemire's creator owned work). Overall, for my tastes, this was probably the weakest Image Expo book line up. But again, that's just me.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

So... I guess that's that...

Only one book out of that whole group, Descender, caught my attention. Yeah Image... you see... you are not exactly winning me over here.

BANNED

For me, only Warren Ellis' "Injection" and Kurt Busiek's "Tooth and Claw".

wwise03, the same thing happened to me. I was virtually done with reading comics forever and was about to walk away from the hobby until I read Sheltered by chance. Thank god I did, I don't think I have ever been a bigger comic book nerd than I have been ever since and I have never enjoyed the medium more than I do now. I have much to be thankful for to Stephenson and Image.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

The ideas that these creators continue to develop and Image continues to publish are astounding.