Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Saga (BKV) and Sex Criminals (Fraction) are both by creators that made their names working at the Big Two. Fraction in particular has gotten a pretty significant boost on the back of his critically acclaimed Hawkeye. Like most Image books, they are pulling readers that may not typically enjoy superhero books BUT I highly doubt they would have gotten as much attention out of the gate if not for past Big Two publishing work.
    Oh yeah totally agree, although now those series are also pulling outside of the traditional comics audience, what with Sex Criminals being Time Magazine's #1 graphic novel and the trade reaching the top of the NYT Best-Seller List and stuff. It'd be great for Image if they could somehow foster that type of talent entirely by themselves, without recruiting people from different comics backgrounds. Not sure how that would work though, it's a tall order, understandably you'd be hesistant to greenlight a series by someone who hasn't even done a successful webcomic or something. Maybe that's just the way it goes for comics right now? Personally I'm not too bothered as long as the quality is good, but I do agree with you that while Image is finding success, a lot of it has its roots in work the creators have done elsewhere (online, Big 2, smaller publishers).
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Spectacular Member

I know Stephenson sounds a little bitchy, but I don't think you are giving him his due. Image's renaissance basically coincides with him become publisher and the zeitgeist of the Walking Dead. His work on creating a viable option for creators to publish and gain wide distribution while holding copyright has been revolutionary for the industry. And his criticism of the big two is hardly inaccurate.

I don't think that many critics are taking into account that Image has to compete with Marvel and DC for their creators. Just a few years ago, Image was faltering. You don't remember super loyal to folks that helped get him started Bendis took Powers to Icon? How shitty was that? I know business is business, but Icon has hardly been a raging success. Casanova returned to Image, Millar publishing most of his stuff thru Image now...pretty much it is just Bendis.

Creating a brand of excellence is important for Image, but painting Image's competitors as short sighted assholes stuck in a never ending rut is important too.
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    Creating a brand of excellence is important for Image, but painting Image's competitors as short sighted assholes stuck in a never ending rut is important too.
    Hahahahaha especially combined with your signature that made me laugh.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!