Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

All of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I'll just add a few of my own personal favorites:

"The Punisher Strikes Twice!" - Amazing Spider-Man #129

"Danger is a Man Named... Tarantula" - Amazing Spider-Man #134

"Shoot-Out in Central Park!" - Amazing Spider-Man #135

"The Longest Hundred Yards!" - Amazing Spider-Man #153
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-09-2018 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Amazing Spider-Man #3 - first appearance of Dr.Octopus

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    The fact of the matter is (at least with me), there have been very little bad Spider Man in his entire run.
    I agree. I think Spider-Man has had more good sustained runs than any other long running character.

Even the weaker patches in his history are at least decent.

As for the best of ASM, a lot of the highlights have already been mentioned but I'll give a shout out to #200, which I think is arguably the best anniversary issue the series has ever had (and they've had plenty of great ones) and could have served as a fitting finale to the Spidey saga.

The Death of Jean DeWolff, No One Dies (mostly due to #655)
    Powered by logic™

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    The Death of Jean DeWolff, No One Dies (mostly due to #655)
    Death of Jean Dewolff is the best of Spectacular Spider-Man (or the best of the satellite books)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I agree. I think Spider-Man has had more good sustained runs than any other long running character.

Even the weaker patches in his history are at least decent.

As for the best of ASM, a lot of the highlights have already been mentioned but I'll give a shout out to #200, which I think is arguably the best anniversary issue the series has ever had (and they've had plenty of great ones) and could have served as a fitting finale to the Spidey saga.
    If you look at Amazing Spider-Man...
    1-38) The Lee/ Ditko run. All-time classics.
    39-67) The Lee/ Romita run. All-time classics.
    68-110) The years when Lee was mostly on the book, but Romita wasn't drawing regularly. Doesn't have the batting average of the earlier runs, but there are still some standout stories and it certainly compares favorably to most comic book series at the time.
    111-150) The Conway run. It took a bit to get his grounding, but it includes The Night Gwen Stacy Died, the first appearance of the Punisher, the first Harry Osborn saga and the clone saga.
    151-180) The Wein run. It's mostly solid "B" material.
    182-202) The Wolfman run. The second half is exceptional.
    203-224) The O'Neil run. Maybe the weakest run in the silver and bronze ages.
    225-251) Roger Stern. One of the all-time great runs.
    252-284) DeFalco/ Frenz/ fill-ins. Solid stuff.
    285-297) A slightly unfocused time that includes Kraven's Last Hunt.
    298-325) Michelinie/ McFarlane. One of the most popular ever, for understandable reasons.
    326-350) Michelinie/ Larsen. Still fun.

And I could continue, but I can't think of any of other series with this kind of success rate. And we're not counting the good satellite runs (DeMatteis/ Buscema Spectacular Spider-Man, Claremont/ Byrne Marvel Team-Up, Millar/ Dodson Marvel Knights Spider-Man, etc.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If you look at Amazing Spider-Man...
    1-38) The Lee/ Ditko run. All-time classics.
    39-67) The Lee/ Romita run. All-time classics.
    68-110) The years when Lee was mostly on the book, but Romita wasn't drawing regularly. Doesn't have the batting average of the earlier runs, but there are still some standout stories and it certainly compares favorably to most comic book series at the time.
    111-150) The Conway run. It took a bit to get his grounding, but it includes The Night Gwen Stacy Died, the first appearance of the Punisher, the first Harry Osborn saga and the clone saga.
    151-180) The Wein run. It's mostly solid "B" material.
    182-202) The Wolfman run. The second half is exceptional.
    203-224) The O'Neil run. Maybe the weakest run in the silver and bronze ages.
    225-251) Roger Stern. One of the all-time great runs.
    252-284) DeFalco/ Frenz/ fill-ins. Solid stuff.
    285-297) A slightly unfocused time that includes Kraven's Last Hunt.
    298-325) Michelinie/ McFarlane. One of the most popular ever, for understandable reasons.
    326-350) Michelinie/ Larsen. Still fun.

And I could continue, but I can't think of any of other series with this kind of success rate. And we're not counting the good satellite runs (DeMatteis/ Buscema Spectacular Spider-Man, Claremont/ Byrne Marvel Team-Up, Millar/ Dodson Marvel Knights Spider-Man, etc.)
    It is not often mentioned when discussing titles with great creative success but I consider Daredevil right up there; from Frank Miller's amazing run to his return with David Mazzuchelli and the stretch that started with Kevin Smith/Joe Quesada's Marvel Knights relaunch and then David Mack, Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Mark Waid and Chris Samenee and now the current run by Charles Soule. That is some incredible talent and a very solid run of stories (the years that Bendis and Brubaker wrote are among my favorite comics ever). I just think Daredevil doesn't get discussed quite as much as he has never been a top-shelf character for Marvel.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    It is not often mentioned when discussing titles with great creative success but I consider Daredevil right up there; from Frank Miller's amazing run to his return with David Mazzuchelli and the stretch that started with Kevin Smith/Joe Quesada's Marvel Knights relaunch and then David Mack, Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Mark Waid and Chris Samenee and now the current run by Charles Soule. That is some incredible talent and a very solid run of stories (the years that Bendis and Brubaker wrote are among my favorite comics ever). I just think Daredevil doesn't get discussed quite as much as he has never been a top-shelf character for Marvel.
    Daredevil still has some duds.

The 100+ issues between Lee and Miller aren't that great. It was kinda mixed between Miller's run and Born Again. Nocenti has her fans, but Dan G. Chichester's fallen from favor.

It's been mostly consistently good since Kevin Smith, though Diggle's run doesn't shine in that group.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

All-New Member

Guys i really wanted to enjoy a spider man comic book, but i simply can't, everytime i encounter a title, it just makes me remeber what spidey used to mean to me and to my dad, he used to collect all of them and read to me on bedtime when i was a kid, i grew up with spidey, the 70's were spectacular, it made him relatable, specially when my dad died a few years later, and then, i don't know what happend to marvel, it just seemed like it didn't care for spidey, or for spidey fans, they delivered "few" poor books over the years, but what stabbed me really deep, was the fact that they didn't respect us, they didn't respect spidey, and worst of all, they didn' t respect stan lee and Gerry conway, by retconnig the events regarding a very special person who was already dead,some of you already know what.. or who i'm talking about, it disgraced all the story for me, cause it got me thinking, if they're capable of this, i don't even want to even know the rest, and... OMD came.. and i thought to myself, i'm glad my dad didn't get so see this, for most people this doesn't mean much, but for true fans, it is the end of an era, sorry to share this with you guys but i had to.
    Last edited by Ricard772; 09-02-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricard772 View Post
    Guys i really wanted to enjoy a spider man comic book, but i simply can't, everytime i encounter a title, it just makes me remeber what spidey used to mean to me and to my dad, he used to collect all of them and read to me on bedtime when i was a kid, i grew up with spidey, the 70's were spectacular, it made him relatable, specially when my dad died a few years later, and then, i don't know what happend to marvel, it just seemed like it didn't care for spidey, or for spidey fans, they delivered "few" poor books over the years, but what stabbed me really deep, was the fact that they didn't respect us, they didn't respect spidey, and worst of all, they didn' t respect stan lee and Gerry conway, by retconnig the events regarding a very special person who was already dead,some of you already know what.. or who i'm talking about, it disgraced all the story for me, cause it got me thinking, if they're capable of this, i don't even want to even know the rest, and... OMD came.. and i thought to myself, i'm glad my dad didn't get so see this, for most people this doesn't mean much, but for true fans, it is the end of an era, sorry to share this with you guys but i had to.
    To each his own, but you shouldn‘t let whatever form of entertainment have such an impact on your life.
    Spidey is a fictional character, treat him as such and enjoy the stories of the past but don‘t close the door on everything new, sure, most Marvel isn‘t to my liking, then again, maybe in five years things look differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Daredevil still has some duds.

The 100+ issues between Lee and Miller aren't that great. It was kinda mixed between Miller's run and Born Again. Nocenti has her fans, but Dan G. Chichester's fallen from favor.

It's been mostly consistently good since Kevin Smith, though Diggle's run doesn't shine in that group.
    I misunderstood the original point; thought we were discussing best runs on a title and not the title that has had the highest percentage of solid overall creative runs. You made the point clear in your original post but I read it quickly and misinterpreted. My bad; taken one creative run at a time, I do think Daredevil has some overall excellent ones though, as you point out,a fair amount of ordinary ones and a few bad ones as well. Agreed that ASM has been pretty remarkable in it's long tenure in that regard.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...