Default Detective Comics and/or Batman Title?

As my username may suggest, I am new to DC comics. After decades of following only Marvel (and IDWs G.I. Joe and Transformers), I finally stuck my toe in the DC ocean and love it! I'm currently reading Detective Comics, but saw there is a stand alone Batman comic. Is Detective Comics or the standalone Batman better? Do the stories overlap? Should I get just one or both? I have a strict comic budget that I live by so every title I get has to be good. Thanks in advance for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel2DC View Post
    As my username may suggest, I am new to DC comics. After decades of following only Marvel (and IDWs G.I. Joe and Transformers), I finally stuck my toe in the DC ocean and love it! I'm currently reading Detective Comics, but saw there is a stand alone Batman comic. Is Detective Comics or the standalone Batman better? Do the stories overlap? Should I get just one or both? I have a strict comic budget that I live by so every title I get has to be good. Thanks in advance for any help!
    If you can afford it, and you like the character of Batman, you should maybe consider getting both.
    However, the current writer of Batman may-or-may not be to your taste (I can't stand his "writing", but many others seem to like it), so you should probably try out a few issues before you make any final commitment to that title one way or another.

Fantastic Member SixSpeedSamurai's Avatar

I've done both for 27 years. Tec won't be settling in with a permanent team for several issues yet, but the current arc is OK and James Robinson is filling in next.

I'm not a huge King fan, but I still buy Batman. I'd suggest reading the New 52 Batman by Scott Snyder, it's miles better.

They’re both great titles! I prefer Batman currently, but they’re both telling good stories. Maybe Detective nowadays has the “advantage” that it’s a “filler” run, so you don’t have to compromise to it for too long, while Tom King, who currently writes Batman says he planned his run up until issue #103. If you’re not necessarily interested just in today’s comics, there’re some pretty good lists for new readers of Batman in the web and I bet a lot of recommended reading can be found really cheap if one looks carefully. You can read one or both currently, they have had only one crossover between the two of them since Rebirth started
    Last edited by Chubistian; 08-07-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH