Default Action Comics #1000...necessary for a new Superman reader?

I'm new to the DC Universe. I have subscribed to the new Superman title and Action Comics (beginning with #1001). I haven't purchased Action Comics #1000 because of the cost. However, should I get it? Would it be helpful to read it for my understanding of where my two titles are going/have been? Thanks in advance!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel2DC View Post
    I'm new to the DC Universe. I have subscribed to the new Superman title and Action Comics (beginning with #1001). I haven't purchased Action Comics #1000 because of the cost. However, should I get it? Would it be helpful to read it for my understanding of where my two titles are going/have been? Thanks in advance!
    10000 is a collection of short stories that celebrate Superman, but the final story in the issue ties into Bendis' Man of Steel mini-series

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel2DC View Post
    It's not necessary, but I recommend you check out the new man of steel mini series if you haven't since that actually is required reading or both superman and action comics.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I won't spoil the reasons why but I'd say you're mostly in the same boat whether or not you read Man of Steel. But it's all very directly related and worth your time if you want to start with Bendis.

Action 1000 meanwhile has a short chapter at the end that technically starts this whole thing, but it's completely within the context of Man of Steel. So if you're trying to get a sense of what's going to inform you of current comics you can really skip it.

But at the same time anyone can enjoy it stand alone, as it's very new reader friendly.

Astonishing Member

No. In fact I would probably say its a lot more entertaining if you're a long term reader than if you're juat picking it up.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Not at all. AC #1000 is more of a celebratory issue of Superman's history. None of the stories within are essential for understanding Bendis' run. However if you want to know some background for the status quo at the start of Bendis' run:
    Lois and Clark by Jurgens helps establish Jon Kent, Superman's son
    Superman Reborn by Jurgens and Tomasi combined New 52 and Post-Crisis Supermen
    The Oz Effect by Jurgens explains Jor-El
    Super-Sons of Tomorrow by Tomasi explains the bad future Jon talks about in Man of Steel by Bendis
    Man of Steel by Bendis is basically the prologue to both his Superman and AC runs

Of these only Man of Steel is really "required". You would be fine without reading the rest.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

As others stated, Action Comics #1000 is a collection of short stories celebrating his anniversary.

The Man of Steel Mini Series that was recently wrapped up would be an excellent start for a new reader because both Action Comics and Superman Series continues on from them.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    No. In fact I would probably say its a lot more entertaining if you're a long term reader than if you're juat picking it up.
    #1000? Eh, if all you know is Superman from the Superfriends cartoon, then this comic still has your back. All of the vignettes are continuity free and within their own context. On the other hand, it's pretty solid for understanding the gist of Superman stories in general in the entries from the Rebirth creators in particular.

If cost is your issue, I would say do not buy it. The suggestions above to get the Man of Steel mini is valid though. Important to both new books.