Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Chip Zdarsky Confirms Departure From Spectacular Spider-Man

Chip Zdarsky fielded an AMA on reeddit this morning where he broke the news of his departure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...artist_of_sex/

It'll be my last issue on the series. Which was an incredibly hard decision to make, but the timing felt right. My biggest regret is that, talking with Nick Spencer, the stuff coming up in AMAZING is so great that I wished I could stick around to play in the world he's making.
    We already knew from October solicitations he'd been replaced as writer for the Spidergeddon tie-ins, but there was no way of knowing if that was temporary or not. Alas, it was not and he really is gone.

That sucks wonder who will replace him feel like he was just getting started though. I wanted him to write during the Spencer run

That’s a shame. Despite a rocky start, Chip Zdarsky had some of the most solid Spider-Man writing we’ve seen in a while.

That's really disappointing he won't be continuing on the book, but I'm hopeful the reason is they gave him a new very exciting series to write and I'm very interested to see what it is.

Also that makes #310, which he is both writing and drawing, an even more bittersweet ending.

Mighty Member

Bummer. I really like his run. But now maybe we'll get Kaptara Vol. 2??? Hopefully?

Mighty Member

Bummer. I really like his run. But now maybe we'll get Kaptara Vol. 2??? Hopefully?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    That's really disappointing he won't be continuing on the book, but I'm hopeful the reason is they gave him a new very exciting series to write

According to Zdarsky, TWO-IN-ONE is going to undergo a retooling and that he's working on the first issue now.

Issue 11 will be THING & MISTER FANTASTIC, and issue 12 will be HUMAN TORCH & INVISIBLE WOMAN. We had a lot of discussions about what the book would look like after the FF came back, and ultimately decided that the FF book should have some room to breathe, and that we should work on reinventing TWO-IN-ONE. I've written the outline for what comes next and the first issue, and I'm trying to keep it about the relationships between heroes and friends, for some sense of continuity between what we were doing and what's to come next. We're still figuring out the name for it though, which seems to be the hardest part, weirdly. I don't know if it'll still be called TWO-IN-ONE or something else at this point.

Yeah, sounds like that's no longer an F4 book. Could be anything else though. Defenders, Champions, Avengers, all of their casts are possible for that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I really wasn't into his run...although he did the Jonah reveal, I felt Slott did more with that than he did. I fail to see where that development can go. Same with Teresa Parker. She'll probably disappear (again).

BANNED

That's a bummer. One thing I was really looking forward to was some interaction between Amazing and Spectacular with Spencer and D'Zarsky.

But I imagine, as D'Zarsky is Marvel exclusive, that something else came along that he really wanted to jump at. Wonder what it is.

Also, it now seems certain that Spec will get its own Fresh Start soon. Wonder who will take over and I wonder if Spencer will have any input as to who will be writing ASM's sister mag.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    But I imagine, as D'Zarsky is Marvel exclusive, that something else came along that he really wanted to jump at. Wonder what it is.
    I already posted details on what it is, a retooling of Two-In-One.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Except he was already able to do that book and Spec, so there's probably something else.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Except he was already able to do that book and Spec, so there's probably something else.
    Yes, exactly. He's been doing both books so he wouldn't have to leave Spec unless he was adding a different second Marvel ongoing on top of whatever new permutation 2-in-1 takes on.

On Reddit, his response as to what the new book will be is "I can't say just yet! It's PRETTY COOL THOUGH"

I imagine it won't be long till we find out what it is.

Mighty Member

Bummer. I've been enjoying his run. It's pretty rare when a writer leaves a book I like and says they're doing something pretty cool that I like the new thing. I'd be interested to see him on Champions, I guess.

It's definitely not that. Zub's there for the foreseeable. Doesn't mean he can't use their members though, considering that only half the team actually has a solo right now (Kamala and Nadia do, Miles is surely getting relaunched soon, and the new Vision series is probably mostly about Viv). He seems to like Riri, she's been used in Spec.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman