Incredible Member

Default Zero #9 - Spoilers...Really

For those of you following Zero #9 closely, who is the baby? Is that Zero? Are they saying Zero is Roman's son? Or was he just in love with Zero's mom?

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

I don't think Zizek is actually the biological father, but it's meant to be ambiguous. I do believe the baby is Zero, but Marinka (the mother) seems to have slept with too many men for us to say with any certainty who the father is.
    Read Prophet, live Stray Bullets.

Astonishing Member

It's obviously telegraphed to be Zero, but it could be any of the kids, I think. My gut says it's the boy who ultimately becomes the anarchist antagonist (I'm blanking on the name).

Seemed pretty clear that he was not the kid; that she was pregnant when Zizek got there.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by eye of all View Post
    I don't think Zizek is actually the biological father, but it's meant to be ambiguous. I do believe the baby is Zero, but Marinka (the mother) seems to have slept with too many men for us to say with any certainty who the father is.
    I thought that it was heavily implied that she had been raped multiple times, hence the awful information in the back matter providing the estimated number of women raped in the Bosnian war. I wouldn't bring it up except that it seemed like an important emotional point being made.

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    I thought that it was heavily implied that she had been raped multiple times, hence the awful information in the back matter providing the estimated number of women raped in the Bosnian war. I wouldn't bring it up except that it seemed like an important emotional point being made.
    Ah, yeah that makes more sense. I took it that she had been a prostitute from the soldiers' dialogue in the issue, but now that I look at the back matter again, it's clear.

-10 reading comprehension
    Last edited by eye of all; 07-24-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    Read Prophet, live Stray Bullets.

Yeah, pretty sure she had been raped and she and Zizek met and fell in love once she was pregnant. My first though was that the baby must be Zero, but who really know with a series like this. Kot may be intentionally leading us down the wrong path.

Really emotional conclusion. Super heavy. Goddamn, I love this series.
    Last edited by BogSurfer; 07-24-2014 at 09:56 AM.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eye of all View Post
    Yeah, they said she was already preggo when he met her, so you're right. It's not his biological kid. Also, I definitely think it was Zero.

That being said. WOW. Loved this issue. Short, sweet story, but with a great hook. Really good stuff.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 07-24-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BogSurfer View Post
    Yeah, pretty sure she had been raped and she and Zizek met and fell in love once she was pregnant. My first though was that the baby must be Zero, but who really know with a series like this. Kot may be intentionally leading us down the wrong path.

Really emotional conclusion. Super heavy. Goddamn, I love this series.
    Yeah, it definitely could be a swerve. Hopefully we find out, eventually. I agree with your last sentence 100%.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

I did assume it was Zero, although I suppose it could be Mina we never did have any real confirmation it was a male. However the person that suggested it could be Ginsburg Nova might be on to something too.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

BANNED

The baby is Zero because we learn from #5 that his mother's name was Marina. Father is anonymous, because Marina was constantly abused and raped.