Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Read the whole run.
    I liked the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby issues quite a bit.
    The later stuff by Roy Thomas/Neal Adams is great.
    Some of the other stuff in between while not great is a fun read.

Other Silver Age runs that I have enjoyed:
    The Fantastic Four
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    The Avengers
    Daredevil
    Iron Man
    Thanks for sharing! I'm getting to the Daredevil stuff quite soon. Have you read Fourth World or Kamandi?

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It was an interesting and unusual choice to introduce Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch as "villains" who weren't evil and were clearly going to come over to the heroes' side eventually. It's one of those things that gave early Marvel the feeling of being a place where the status quo could actually change a bit more than other superhero comics.

But having two villain characters who weren't even villains just added to the problem of the book having a really weak rogues' gallery.
    I agree - I got so confused about those two, like which side are they really on?!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    double post...because Mimic
    Yeah, he joined the X-Men and then eventually got kicked out of the team due to overconfidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    As many said keeping in mind the Silver Age IMO issues 1-17 go from good to really good, 18-49 are ok, 50-66 are really good to great.
    True. The progressions were great!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Way better than anything from the past couple of years and the past 20 years at large.
    I still prefer the Claremont run.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Magneto was extremely underdeveloped. but it was worth reading to see the original 5 X-Men interact. they really were a family.
    Magneto is almost invincible now. Yeah, they were like family. They were amateurs when they started.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think they really overused Magneto in the very early issues. Although it was interesting in the early issues watching them try to figure out what worked and what didn't, or even what everybody's powers where.

Cyclops wasn't even "Scott Summers" when it started. He was Slim Summers. Even Xavier called him that, which is just something you don't see happening now.

It was also interesting seeing how NOT hated and feared they were early on and how they actually had social lives and hung out outside the school grounds more often.
    Oh yeah, SLIM SUMMERS! I thought it was his nickname or something. Also, his never ending unconfessed love for Jean Grey... I'm like when is he ever going to ask her out?!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Right. The book wasn't what a lot of people assume it must have been. Those themes didn't really solidify until the 80's.
    And when those concepts started taking off in the comics, they weren't just limited to the X-Men. Remember the first Superhero Registration Act?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I'm getting to the Daredevil stuff quite soon. Have you read Fourth World or Kamandi?
    All of the Fourth World stuff. Kinda trippy.
    Most of Kamandi. An enjoyable read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    All of the Fourth World stuff. Kinda trippy.
    Most of Kamandi. An enjoyable read.
    NICE! I'm reading Fourth World right now. It IS trippy - suitable term for it! Which one did you like better? Also, how good is the Silver Age Daredevil? Worth getting the omni?

Boisterously Confused

NICE! I'm reading Fourth World right now. It IS trippy - suitable term for it! Which one did you like better? Also, how good is the Silver Age Daredevil? Worth getting the omni?
    Like early X-Men, early Daredevil is very uneven. He has some cool stories (I really liked The Nighthawk story and the original Ani-Men arc), and Colan's work on him was great, but he wasn't Daredevil as he's known now. He was much more Swashbuckler than Noir before Miller showed up in the late 70s.

Yeah, he joined the X-Men and then eventually got kicked out of the team due to overconfidence.
    Actually, he left because Stan Lee didn't want Roy Thomas adding new team members to the X-Men. Thomas was going to have the X-Men traveling around and recruiting new mutants, but Lee said no, so instead, we got the incredibly lame Factor Three garbage.

The saga of Mike Murdock is frigging insane. It is crazy by Silver Age standards, and that's saying something. It's pretty endearing.
    Last edited by Tiamatty; 08-10-2018 at 07:00 PM.

The whole Mike Murdock things is the dumbest Daredevil stuff you can find (besides him getting armor in the 90s).

And people complain about Superman's secret identity, Mike Murdock takes that to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    The whole Mike Murdock things is the dumbest Daredevil stuff you can find (besides him getting armor in the 90s).

And people complain about Superman's secret identity, Mike Murdock takes that to the next level.
    And it's hard not to love, honestly. It is so incredibly crazy that it becomes amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post

It's wonderfully over the top in ways that only comicbooks can be.

The saga of Mike Murdock is reason alone for more superheroes to have secret identities just for all the fun they can be.