Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Has anyone ever read Silver Age X-Men?

What are your thoughts about it? Which Silver Age Marvel titles are a good read?

trailing (2).jpg

Read it and reviewed it on my blog!

Silver Age X-Men isn't great. There are a handful of good issues here and there, but mostly, it's bland and forgettable, and sometimes downright bad. The exception is the Thomas/Adams run. That was phenomenal stuff.

I'm not a fan of Silver Age stuff in general. But Silver Age X-Men was especially weak.

Also, Silver Age Angel was the worst X-Man ever. He had one job - don't get grabbed - and he was always getting grabbed. Guy got captured by a handful of trained crows. That's how useless he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    trailing (2).jpg

Read it and reviewed it on my blog!

Silver Age X-Men isn't great. There are a handful of good issues here and there, but mostly, it's bland and forgettable, and sometimes downright bad. The exception is the Thomas/Adams run. That was phenomenal stuff.

I'm not a fan of Silver Age stuff in general. But Silver Age X-Men was especially weak.

Also, Silver Age Angel was the worst X-Man ever. He had one job - don't get grabbed - and he was always getting grabbed. Guy got captured by a handful of trained crows. That's how useless he was.
    I agree. Why is the selling value so expensive though (omnis, Epic Collections, and such)? The storyline is very weak for that matter.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There is a great trade that collects the Neil Adams run that is worth getting. It collects the end of the original X-men issues (issues 53-65 I think). It is out of print, but you might find it used. It is called X-Men Visionaries: Neil Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    I agree. Why is the selling value so expensive though (omnis, Epic Collections, and such)? The storyline is very weak for that matter.
    Because they're still Silver Age comics, and the X-Men franchise is huge. Comics that old aren't for reading, they're for preserving, because there are relatively few of them left.

I have read pretty much all of the silver age of X-Men now.

It had it's good parts and interesting ideas. Titles like "X-Men The Hidden Years" does a better job of telling those stories while adding more to them. But I was never sure if they where cannon or not. Either way that era of X-Men is for sure not for everybody. It wasn't bad but it is more of a required taste.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I've read all the original 66 X-Men issues and like everything there are good, bad and strange things (Xavier's mechanical crutches for example). If you are a fan of the X-Men they are worth checking out, if you aren't it isn't going to change your mind

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

At least the art gets better as the run continues.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

60s Silver age fare has to be read with some historical context. It was still a time when comics were "funny books" and the target audience was 8-16yr old kids.
    While some underlying message was within it wasn't dominant and silly resolutions to silly situations could be found.
    I've read 1/2 of my Silver Age X-Men and will read the rest eventually.

However, if you want "funny" in your superhero funny book check out Golden Age fare if you dare.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There is a great trade that collects the Neil Adams run that is worth getting. It collects the end of the original X-men issues (issues 53-65 I think). It is out of print, but you might find it used. It is called X-Men Visionaries: Neil Adams.
    Great! Thanks for the recommendation! Is it in color? Love Neal Adams (except the Batman recoloring on his omni).

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Great! Thanks for the recommendation! Is it in color? Love Neal Adams (except the Batman recoloring on his omni).

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    At least the art gets better as the run continues.
    YEAH. Jim Lee run for me is the best! I love the 90s era.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I've read all the original 66 X-Men issues and like everything there are good, bad and strange things (Xavier's mechanical crutches for example). If you are a fan of the X-Men they are worth checking out, if you aren't it isn't going to change your mind
    I'm on issue 31 and I had to take breaks... it's tough to get into, really. #struggleisreal

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    60s Silver age fare has to be read with some historical context. It was still a time when comics were "funny books" and the target audience was 8-16yr old kids.
    While some underlying message was within it wasn't dominant and silly resolutions to silly situations could be found.
    I've read 1/2 of my Silver Age X-Men and will read the rest eventually.

However, if you want "funny" in your superhero funny book check out Golden Age fare if you dare.
    Great input! It's a bit challenging to read these issues consecutively, I must take a break to go on because it's a chore. I once read the Batman Golden Age omni, I couldn't go on after 1/4th of the book. Although I love how the characters progressed and experienced a dash of history.
    Last edited by theboychild; 08-08-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Because they're still Silver Age comics, and the X-Men franchise is huge. Comics that old aren't for reading, they're for preserving, because there are relatively few of them left.
    TRUE. I concur.