Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Multiversity: Ultra Comics, #1

Reading "The Multiversity: Ultra Comics" #1 may very well doom this planet, but Grant Morrison and Doug Mahnke make the apocalypse so very attractive.

Full review here.

Fantastic Member

I hope it's more of a warning than the actual cause of the apocalypse, but it's pretty bleak stuff in many ways! Here's my somewhat-hopeful take, with annotations:

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2015/03/m...ra-comics.html

What the F%$/ did i just read ? i remember why i dont like morrison

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    What the F%$/ did i just read ?
    Awesomeness, much like most of multiversity?

This issue further justifies why Morrison is the only writer I currently keep tabs on in DC. Fantastic work.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

I still don't get who the Gentry are, are they creators and writers that darken everything in the comic books' universes? Are they people who feel that fictional works are silly things that hold no influence over the minds of people? Are they editors who destroy everything they feel like destroying that writers put so much effort into creating?
    "Memento Mori if the nineth lion ate the sun."
    -Zero III

"The man on the moon rules the infinite time."
    -Phi

Astonishing Member

The Gentry are bad ideas, bad thoughts. Not editors or writers or fans, but noumenal creatures that infect all of those people and are channeled onto the page in villains and even into aspects of heroes.

It's sort of a more fundamental look at all the themes Morrison has been playing with for a long time now; still metafictional but a bit more universal and expansive, less obviously direct criticism of the comics industry; more about ideas in general, both in fiction and infotainment.

Fantastic Member

Am I the only person who would be totally lost without the annotations? Like a poem or a song with cryptic lyrics, once it's explained to me (as I seem to struggle with in depth analysis of these more artistic type works) it seems to open a new world of enjoyment for what generally perplexed me before.

In the older earth prime mythology, it was just the earth prime writers who create the heroes and villains that plague the other earths. In multiversity, maybe the imagination and ideas of the comic readers modify the comic heroes and villains that plague the other earths. I don't believe reading comics is a waste of time since whatever we do is all equally meaningless anyway.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 03-25-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    The Gentry are bad ideas, bad thoughts. Not editors or writers or fans, but noumenal creatures that infect all of those people and are channeled onto the page in villains and even into aspects of heroes.

It's sort of a more fundamental look at all the themes Morrison has been playing with for a long time now; still metafictional but a bit more universal and expansive, less obviously direct criticism of the comics industry; more about ideas in general, both in fiction and infotainment.
    Oh, i see, that makes sense. Thanks.
    -Zero III

-Phi

Incredible Member

I bought it. I regrettably read it. And I do believe I will be avoiding anything else written by Grant Morrison in the future.

If he hates the medium and those who support it so much. As shown by the vitriol in this particular book. I don't think I should be giving him any more of my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    I bought it. I regrettably read it. And I do believe I will be avoiding anything else written by Grant Morrison in the future.

If he hates the medium and those who support it so much. As shown by the vitriol in this particular book. I don't think I should be giving him any more of my money.
    He doesn't hate the medium, he just thinks it's funny how if 20% of all the hate all kinds of fictional and entertainment works receive from fans was instead directed at first world problems, the world would be a much better place.
    -Zero III

-Phi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dopliss View Post
    He doesn't hate the medium, he just thinks it's funny how if 20% of all the hate all kinds of fictional and entertainment works receive from fans was instead directed at first world problems, the world would be a much better place.
    I agree. If all that energy was directed towards eggs that didn't explode on microwaves or Iphones that didn't need to be jailbroken, the first world would have many less problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    I agree. If all that energy was directed towards eggs that didn't explode on microwaves or Iphones that didn't need to be jailbroken, the first world would have many less problems.
    ...I get "First World Problems" and "Third World Problems" confused a lot.
    ...Im sorry.
    -Zero III

-Phi

Incredible Member

Comics are escapism. I don't need a writer injecting his view on reality into my escapism.

And I certainly don't need one telling me the medium I have dedicated my life to is a pointless waste of time.

I write and produce my own comics. I don't need anyone's denouncement of the medium that has been my lifelong love.

Astonishing Member

You really believe that you've dedicated your life to this medium more than Grant Morrison has? Is that a real statement?

I don't think you've really understood what was being said here. Or, rather, it's reflected some sort of insecurity back at you. Because that isn't the impression I got at all.

Just calm down.