View Poll Results: Ruby Rose as the CW's Kate Kane

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it: Perfect casting!

22 32.84%
  • Like it: not my first choice, but excited for it!

9 13.43%
  • Fine with it: going to be optimistic here.

12 17.91%
  • Meh with it: this choice does nothing to or for me

9 13.43%
  • Unenthused: not liking how this is shaping up

4 5.97%
  • Dislike it: there were so many better options!

4 5.97%
  • Hate it: she is wrong in so many ways!

2 2.99%
  • Zero: this news changes absolutely nothing for me

5 7.46%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

When I first heard they cast Ruby Rose for the part, I did a double take. As I was thinking of this Ruby Rose;

Then I saw that there was an actual actress named Ruby Rose. Never watched any of her stuff, outside of a scene or two, so coming into this pretty neutral. But the action scenes I saw were promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Opinions range from against to indifference. But there's not a whole lot of happy.
    Maybe not in this specific example, no.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by okiedokiewo View Post
    I physically recoiled at the news. One of the worst casting decisions I've ever heard of.
    Ridiculous. You people are why she left Twitter

Some people like to hear their own blather.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Ridiculous. You people are why she left Twitter
    Spare me the melodramatics. No, comments saying that her casting is terrible are not why she left, and this comment was not sent to her. It was posted on a topic about her casting. If she's upset about THAT, then she needs to not be in the public eye and not seek out posts that are going to include positive and negative comments.

I imagine she left because of personal attacks, and messages sent DIRECTLY TO HER. We don't have to like her acting here. We just don't have to go personally attack her. She gets paid to do a job, and people can comment on her skills.

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    It’s unfortunate Kate’s first foray into live action is at the hands of another Instagram model turned bad actress, but it’s not as though I expected much with Berlanti at the helm.

Unenthused, I guess? Hoping for best, but expecting the worse.
    She's been acting a lot longer than Instagram has been around...

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    It's a CW show, so acting is pretty irrelevant (and this coming from someone who became a fan of Flash from watching his tv show). But with this casting, I mean, have you guys SEEN her? This made me excited to watch lol Ruby Rose in a tight Bat costume? Sign me up.
    ...Agreed on that last comment, haha. In all seriousness though, if the writing is good like the Flash was, regardless of how people feel about Her or the ACTRESS, it could be a great show. So people really shouldn't throw stones until we see the debut later this year in the crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Ruby Rose just deactivated her Twitter and Instagram accounts due to negative reaction about her being cast as Batman by "fans".

Look, I don't have a dog in this fight. I "nothing" both the character of Batwoman and the actress Ruby Rose.

But this is beyond shitty. She doesn't deserves that kind of treatment at all.
    This really does suck. I feel bad for her. This actually is a pretty major role considering that it's not just comic fan, but casual fans who enjoy these CW shows as well. All the luck to her and hope this doesn't deter her from delivering a great performance in general.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Quote Originally Posted by okiedokiewo View Post
    If she's upset about THAT, then she needs to not be in the public eye and not seek out posts that are going to include positive and negative comments.
    She does suffer from both depression and bi-polar so she can be easily set off.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It'd be really nice.

I never understood why the CW has to be so bad. Good writing and acting can overcome any budget issues, but they put no effort in either.
    This hyperbole is ridiculous
    +1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It's the CW, so acting chops aren't really needed.

Doesn't look the part but I'm sure it's going to be "Kate Kane" in name only.
    Put some pale makeup and a red wig on her and she's good to go. People who naturally look like Kate Kane do not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Put some pale makeup and a red wig on her and she's good to go. People who naturally look like Kate Kane do not exist.
    Hell, people who naturally look like superhero characters don't exist. The complaints about her are as valid as "Gal Gadot's boobs aren't big enough to be Wonder Woman".

Why is fandom so trashy and toxic, forgetting they are hurting real people with real emotions, just for made up characters?

No idea. My own take is you get more drama when you hate things. Some just like to criticize everything. As if they could do better. Once you get older, you're just so darn happy to see Batwoman on TV, or a finally better Fantastic Four movie, or whatever. I'm so glad I don't know anyone who would take me seriously if I talked this kind of smack on TV, movies, and other flights of fancy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Why is fandom so trashy and toxic, forgetting they are hurting real people with real emotions, just for made up characters?
    At this point it's probably not even proper fandom but left over culture warriors from gamer/comicsgate

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    For starters, "fandom" isn't one thing nowadays, it's many things (and I say that as part of old-school sf fandom, which probably can claim to have started the whole thing in the late 1920s). Another is that I believe bullying and exclusion is as common here as in most other parts of society, but most fandoms have usually prided themselves with being more inclusive than society around us (and have been in certain important respects, while at the same time have been less inclusive in other ways); this might have led to many fandoms not evolving ways to handle bullying. A third is that fandoms by nature are sub-culture interests. It's easier for society around us to point to us acting shitty than it is to point out the same behaviour closer to home.

Last, fannish subcultures are extremely transparent, due to their focus on participatory culture. That means we might look bad at a cursory look, but a closer examination might say we are better than the society around us. To take one example around #MeToo: sf fandom experienced a huge discussion and initiated a culture change in 2011-2012 regarding harassment and gender relations. It was not that we are more misogynistic than society around us, but we were ahead of the curve in dealing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    At this point it's probably not even proper fandom but left over culture warriors from gamer/comicsgate
    That too, though I'd be quite careful about labels like "proper fandom", since most fannish cultures and movements are decidedly amorphous and self-selected. I shun the rabid puppies and the gamergaters because they are hateful and cause harm, not because they aren't "proper fandom"; that label can too easily be turned against other marginalised groups within fandom, as many women have experienced.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That too, though I'd be quite careful about labels like "proper fandom"...
    I am generally very careful about that, and I use the term "proper" because I doubt most of the haters have never even heard of Kate Kane or care one whit about her and are just venting their general anti-progress hate because they see a target, and are not fans in even the loosest sense.