Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Dick Grayson's new status quo - "permanent," or short-term?

Back in 1984, after more than forty years as Robin, the Boy Wonder, Dick Grayson made the then-rare transition into a new superheroic identity...Nightwing. When Dick exchanged the yellow, red, and green of his legendary Robin outfit for the blues and greys of his first Nightwing suit, many probably believed that the switch was temporary. After all, in 1984, superheroes permanently taking on new identities and costumes was not common, and Dick was a pioneer of that development.

Dick's time as Nightwing lasted exactly thirty years, and now, he's taken on yet another new identity as Grayson, Agent of Spyral. Do you believe that this is a "permanent," long-term switch similar to his switch from Robin to Nightwing back in the 1980s, or do you believe it's going to prove a relatively short-lived diversion, and we'll see him as Nightwing again within a few years?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Depends how well it sells, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Using history as a guide, NEW TEEN TITANS/TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS didn't appear to suffer any sales detriment from Dick's transition to Nightwing back in the 1980s, so since the move didn't hurt DC's ledgers, there was no reason to reverse the decision. Even so, I wonder if DC would have reverted Dick to Robin if fans hadn't supported Nightwing from the get-go. At that point, promoting Dick to the next phase of his career beyond Robin just seemed narratively logical.

He'll probably be Nightwing again at some point. Though him as Grayson, Agent of Spyral has been pretty exciting.

I don't know how long it could actually last. Nightwing is one of the few well known legacy characters outside of comics and I don't see DC keeping Dick as a secret agent forever.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Incredible Member

No idea. I can see them going either way, really.
    Prior to this, Dick was just floating around as a blank slate since pretty much all of his history and friends have been erased, handed off to someone else, or ignored. This whole spy thing is giving him his own little niche like back in NTT that the other batfam members can't or don't want to touch.
    However, Nightwing is a pretty recognizable name so I can't see them straying from the title for too long.

If it sells really well I can see them dragging it out longer than expected, but I honestly can't expect more like 2-3 years.

MY question is: Will any of the things that happen in Grayson follow him when he becomes Nightwing again?
    It would be a shame if any villains or friends that he made were put into limbo, and he had to start all over with that AGAIN. IMO that was a weak point in pre52 AND new52 Nightwing.

Depends on what DC has planned next Spring with the "rumored" crisis event?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    True, if the Grayson book continues to do well, he could be an Agent of Spyral or a while

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    He'll probably be Nightwing again at some point. Though him as Grayson, Agent of Spyral has been pretty exciting.
    Yeah, and it just started, but here we are wondering how long it will last.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    True, if the Grayson book continues to do well, he could be an Agent of Spyral or a while.
    I'd say that isn't the only factor - if the Generation Two of Bat Characters in the New 52 tanks, there'll be demand to bring Dick back in as Batman's Lieutenant.

If, however, "Grayson" keeps up the quality of it's first issue and "Eternal" successfully launches Harper, Steph, Luke Fox (well, relaunches) and Tim Drake (Ditto) as viable status quo Bat Characters? We could be looking at a good long run of Super Spying.

Unlike Barbara-As-Batgirl, I can't see there being a push to bring Dick back to a former role. Didio probably doesn't have much attachment to him either way, and is perhaps happier that he's out of the Bat Hierarchy given that he'll never be Robin again and is unlikely to be Batman. Geoff Johns probably had a big hand in the idea of a Dick Grayson Revamp if not it's outcome....

Way I see it, there are three indicators of longevity here. The New Batman Gang can hold it together, "Grayson" stays popular and - here's the big one - if the upcoming Grayson/Owlman plans that Johns has come to fruition with Dick in full-on "Agent Of Spyral" mode.

This "Spyral" thing may outlast Sam Wilson as Captain America. It will certainly outlast female Thor. But it won't last. I give it 36 issues, tops.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I'd say that isn't the only factor - if the Generation Two of Bat Characters in the New 52 tanks, there'll be demand to bring Dick back in as Batman's Lieutenant.

If, however, "Grayson" keeps up the quality of it's first issue and "Eternal" successfully launches Harper, Steph, Luke Fox (well, relaunches) and Tim Drake (Ditto) as viable status quo Bat Characters? We could be looking at a good long run of Super Spying.

Unlike Barbara-As-Batgirl, I can't see there being a push to bring Dick back to a former role. Didio probably doesn't have much attachment to him either way, and is perhaps happier that he's out of the Bat Hierarchy given that he'll never be Robin again and is unlikely to be Batman. Geoff Johns probably had a big hand in the idea of a Dick Grayson Revamp if not it's outcome....

Way I see it, there are three indicators of longevity here. The New Batman Gang can hold it together, "Grayson" stays popular and - here's the big one - if the upcoming Grayson/Owlman plans that Johns has come to fruition with Dick in full-on "Agent Of Spyral" mode.
    Hm. Agent Nightwing, International Man of Mystery.

Has a bit of a ring to it.

short term when the life of the character is considered. It is, if nothing else, an admission that DC don't know how to reconcile their apparent need for new Robins with the existing characters. Can't keep killing them off, right?

Secret Agent Grayson? Bollocks.

A reason that this topic is especially interesting pertaining to Dick Grayson is that he's had a long, mixed history of changing identities. On the one hand, his transition from Robin to Nightwing is probably *the* textbook example of a successful, long-term identity switch. On the other hand, Dick's forays into being Batman, while well-received, did not endure.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    A reason that this topic is especially interesting pertaining to Dick Grayson is that he's had a long, mixed history of changing identities. On the one hand, his transition from Robin to Nightwing is probably *the* textbook example of a successful, long-term identity switch. On the other hand, Dick's forays into being Batman, while well-received, did not endure.

It didn't endure only because the Bat-Office was adamant on putting Bruce back into the cowl and streamlining their timeline/continuity for a massive reboot. However, all parties involved in Dick's run as Batman have commented on its success and how it reinvigorated the franchise; not only was Dick allowed to continue to operate as a second Batman upon Bruce's return, but Morrison stated that Dick and Damian should've been allowed to flourish for a couple years before bringing Bruce back.

In a world without Bruce taking top priority over the role, sure, Dick could've endured as Batman. But no one's competing for the Nightwing mantle nor are they trying to encroach on what is being explored with Agent of Spyral, so there's no pressure to augment whatever natural timeline or expiration this story has.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    I don't know how long it could actually last. Nightwing is one of the few well known legacy characters outside of comics and I don't see DC keeping Dick as a secret agent forever.
    I would argue that "Dick Grayson" has a larger Legacy recognition among the public than Nightwing. Not that Nightwing doesn't represent the most distinguishing transition of a mantle to comic goers--but DC naming the solo project after the titular character is very deliberate in their constant channeling of iconography in the nu52. Especially since this this is an anniversary year for Dick Grayson.

So far, GRAYSON has launched with an arc and a clear over-reaching objective. A 100 points right there! It also comes densely populated with odd characters, exotic settings, and can easily serve as a natural vehicle to unbench old heroes. It doesn't hurt that the pulp-style tone of this book works with Dick's personality.

They're the same components that made it work in B&R. I don't worship at the cult of Morrison, but I recognize what makes his sh*t sell. The man's ability to world build and craft engaging mysteries is what attracts readers. Seeley and King appear to be in the best position to duplicate that chemistry.

I'd imagine they stick with what works, unless the character appears in the upcoming film, in which the standard status who would likely be revisited. But if it stays as consistently good as the premiere issue, I'd have no problem with it being long-term. Nightwing just wasn't cutting through to the mainstream and living up to his potential. Perhaps this is it.