All-New Member

Default Best way to start reading/collecting Hellboy books?

I’m going to start collecting the Hellboy books, but I am not sure on what format is the best. I have already decided I wont be getting the omnibus’s as I am not a fan of the format.

My choice is between the TPB’s or the Library editions.
    From my brief research it seems like both the TPB’s and Library editions don’t have a cover gallery. For me this is a huge disappointment as I love the artwork from these books. Can someone please confirm this?
    The advantages of going for the library editions is that I have read that the paper and binding quality is superior to the TPBs and the books are bigger (more artwork). Disadvantages are they are a bit more pricier and heavier. Also the art on the cover is quite small compared to the TPBS.

In regards to the TPBS, they are cheaper and not so heavy, and they have a full cover of artwork. The downside I hear is that the binding is poor in some of the books with pages falling out.
    So my question to all Hellboy fans is – what do you think is the best format to read/collect these books? Library editions or TPBS?
    Btw this is for the main hellboy books but I think I will continue with the other books in the universe as well

Just a word of warning, if you plan on collecting the trades. Now that the omnibuses are out, there won't be any new printings of the trades (aside from Volume 9 as a tie-in with the upcoming film). The library editions will remain in print though.

It's mainly older trades (from the early 2010s) that had the binding problem. The newer print runs seemed to have fixed this issue.

Personally, I'm a library edition guy. They expanded sketchbook sections are simply enormous and I always enjoy reader Mike Mignola's end notes.

Mighty Member

I really like the omnibuses. I even sold off my library editions in order to buy those. I really like having the stories in a chronological order

You pose a difficult question. I do feel to remember that some of the early TPBs do contain the issue covers, but in grey/black only.

However I also feel that all the recent TPBs do contain all issue covers in full color and sometimes even special covers. The Library Editions contain all the TPBs plus extra sketchbook pages significantly, so if you want least cost and most content, go for the Library Editions - they are not more expensive but cheaper than the TPB's but weigh more than twice as much, being oversized. Plus the spot illustration watercolor covers to the Library Editions are exclusive.
    New are the Omnibi which contain no extra's but present the stories chronologically which are also extra-affordibly priced. Go and check 'em out at real shops, you could even mix it all up because formats aren't needed to match up!
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewCollector View Post
    I’m going to start collecting the Hellboy books, but I am not sure on what format is the best. I have already decided I wont be getting the omnibus’s as I am not a fan of the format.

My choice is between the TPB’s or the Library editions.
    From my brief research it seems like both the TPB’s and Library editions don’t have a cover gallery. For me this is a huge disappointment as I love the artwork from these books. Can someone please confirm this?
    The advantages of going for the library editions is that I have read that the paper and binding quality is superior to the TPBs and the books are bigger (more artwork). Disadvantages are they are a bit more pricier and heavier. Also the art on the cover is quite small compared to the TPBS.

In regards to the TPBS, they are cheaper and not so heavy, and they have a full cover of artwork. The downside I hear is that the binding is poor in some of the books with pages falling out.
    So my question to all Hellboy fans is – what do you think is the best format to read/collect these books? Library editions or TPBS?
    Btw this is for the main hellboy books but I think I will continue with the other books in the universe as well
    I started out reading Hellboy in tpbs way back when Hellboy started and I can tell you they are cheap, as most tpbs are. I still have my tpbs, but I double dipped for the Library editions and the BPRD HC's. I can tell you from reading both that the tpbs and Library editions are like night and day. The Library editions are magnificent. They're larger, beautiful and look great sitting on your shelf. I would definitely get the LE's.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Just a word of warning, if you plan on collecting the trades. Now that the omnibuses are out, there won't be any new printings of the trades (aside from Volume 9 as a tie-in with the upcoming film). The library editions will remain in print though.

It's mainly older trades (from the early 2010s) that had the binding problem. The newer print runs seemed to have fixed this issue.

Personally, I'm a library edition guy. They expanded sketchbook sections are simply enormous and I always enjoy reader Mike Mignola's end notes.
    Yep. Couldn't agree more. reading the tpbs are like driving a toyota and the LE's are like driving a Mercedes Benz.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I bought the omnibuses on comixology during the sales. I have the first four but does are only part of the picture.