Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really dislike the idea of not making Dinah look like she does in the comics. It would also make yet another black superhero have the word “Black” in their code name.
    This kind of diversity to me has always felt so disingenuous to me. It's basically *insert minority group* can have this character. When you could just use an actual POC or create a new character. I generally don't care about this with the exception of superhero movies/comics. Comics are a visual medium filled with iconic imagery whether it's designs, moments, etc. so it feels so off when watching it on the big screen. Seeing Harley and Joker covered with tats bothers the hell out of me, an overall desaturated/realistic world bothers the hell out of me, Batman killing people bothers the hell out of me, going out of your way to make things not like the comics bothers the hell out of me.

Use diverse characters to make a diverse cast. The idea of a race change, gender-bending, or orientation swap should fundamentally change the character. Acting like it doesn't does a disservice to the character and the people you think are representing. But that's just my opinion.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Maybe Aquaman will win the winter slugfest. The trailer has more way more views than the other holiday movies. Currently it has 39M views, Mary Poppins 6.4M, BumbleBee 22M, Mortal Engines 11M, and Battle Angel with 9.7M. Mary Poppins trailer was just released 3 days ago but Aquaman has clearly blown away the competition with views so maybe it will handily defeat all competitors. BTW Shazam! has 20M views. Guessing it should beat Shazam easily.
    Yes, I've also been comparing trailer views and Aquaman's is way ahead of the competition. Aquaman's trailer has also outstripped Justice Leagues' ( 35 m) and Wonder Woman's ( 29 m). It was the most viewed and most talked-about trailer during the San Diego Comic Con.

http://tubularinsights.com/san-diego...-con-trailers/

Clearly, there's a lot of pent up interest in the character and the movie.

I'm actually more worried for Mary Poppins. Trailer views for that film plateaued pretty quickly. By contrast, I remember "Beauty and the Beast"'s trailer breaking records within 24 hours. Grace Randolph suggests that Disney isn't expecting much from the film; that's why it's not being promoted heavily. Comparable movies like "Paddington 2" and "Christopher Robin" have not set the box office on fire recently.

Of course, trailer views are one thing. Reviews and the films themselves will probably be the determining factor. Let's hope that Aquaman is , at the very least, a decent, fun movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Unless Robbie just doesn't want another hot blonde in the cast
    I'm pretty sure this is the biggest reason. It might not all be on Robbie but also the producers of the movie that didn't want two of the main characters to look so visually similar in being blonde white women wearing risque outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    This kind of diversity to me has always felt so disingenuous to me. It's basically *insert minority group* can have this character. When you could just use an actual POC or create a new character. I generally don't care about this with the exception of superhero movies/comics. Comics are a visual medium filled with iconic imagery whether it's designs, moments, etc. so it feels so off when watching it on the big screen. Seeing Harley and Joker covered with tats bothers the hell out of me, an overall desaturated/realistic world bothers the hell out of me, Batman killing people bothers the hell out of me, going out of your way to make things not like the comics bothers the hell out of me.

Use diverse characters to make a diverse cast. The idea of a race change, gender-bending, or orientation swap should fundamentally change the character. Acting like it doesn't does a disservice to the character and the people you think are representing. But that's just my opinion.
    Problem is they are already deviating from Birds of Prey in a major way by having Harley Quinn as a lead character instead of Batgirl. By substituting a black comic book character like Vixen or Bumblebee for Black Canary you are
    getting even further away from the original core members of Birds of Prey, with only Huntress as a founding member. And for me Huntress always seemed the least interesting character in the Birds of Prey. That would be even more
    going out of the way to make things not like the comic books. So I would rather have a black Black Canary than no Black Canary. Plus it seems odd that a white woman would be Black Canary in that Black Panther is a black man
    and Black Lightning is a black man. If the character is white, shouldn't she be White Canary?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Problem is they are already deviating from Birds of Prey in a major way by having Harley Quinn as a lead character instead of Batgirl. By substituting a black comic book character like Vixen or Bumblebee for Black Canary you are
    getting even further away from the original core members of Birds of Prey, with only Huntress as a founding member. And for me Huntress always seemed the least interesting character in the Birds of Prey. That would be even more
    going out of the way to make things not like the comic books. So I would rather have a black Black Canary than no Black Canary. Plus it seems odd that a white woman would be Black Canary in that Black Panther is a black man
    and Black Lightning is a black man. If the character is white, shouldn't she be White Canary?
    There are already 2 White Canarys (TV Hero & Comic Villain). I prefer a character not being included over a incorrect translation. Yes; I'd LOVE to see Vixen instead of Black Canary. If they do not want to cast a 2nd blonde that would be the most respectful thing to do for everybody. Stuff like that together with the current crappy rumors about Supes and kind of Bats actors (although Afflecks leaving rumors are kind of a staple by now) leaving just wants to make me want to bury the whole DCEU thing.

In regards to the Birds of Prey source material its a clusterf* already with HQ having a major part in it so lets switch characters and rename it into "Gotham Girls - a Birds of Prey prequel" or just "Gotham Stories". Use it to have Sirens and BoP groups form by the end and maybe just add a proper BC at the after credits.

Fantastic Member

They've stated that Harley ISN'T the leader. Black Canary is the leader of the Birds and Harley is the wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    They've stated that Harley ISN'T the leader. Black Canary is the leader of the Birds and Harley is the wild card.
    So who is the brains, muscles, and looks then?

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

So who is the brains, muscles, and looks then?
    Muscles - Cass

Brains - Montoya

Looks - Huntress .

I don't get it, why can't characters look comic accurate?
    Because most live action adaptations of comic characters don't? I don't see this ruckus over Barry Allen being played by a brunette in both the live action tv shows and the movies and you can't tell me Chris Pine looked anything like how Steve Trevor has been depicted in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Because most live action adaptations of comic characters don't? I don't see this ruckus over Barry Allen being played by a brunette in both the live action tv shows and the movies and you can't tell me Chris Pine looked anything like how Steve Trevor has been depicted in the comics.
    I dunno, I think Pine had that classic leading man look that Steve's usually depicted with.

I have less of an issue with a brunette Barry then I do with him basically being Kid Flash then actually Barry Allen. But is it really that hard to dye hair? Most of the MCU actors dye their hair...

Charlie Cox said he tried to dye his hair red for Daredevil but didn't work very well so they decided that Matt would have brown hair on the show.

I personally find hair color to be a poor example though, since race/gender swapping and changing hair color is hardly the same thing. Lois Lane isn't always a brunette and Tony Stark sometimes doesn't have a goatee, and that really doesn't matter, but if you change these characters' ethnicity or gender, it becomes a whole different thing for lots of fans.

I do take some slight issue with those as well but those traits don't change whole characters.

I do take some slight issue with those as well but those traits don't change whole characters.
    How does being black change the entirety of Dinah Lance's character? What is it about being white that is intrinsic to her?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Steve's handsome and blonde, which Pine was in the movie. He looked like Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Steve's handsome and blonde, which Pine was in the movie. He looked like Steve.
    Handsome, yes. Blonde, no.